Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crizal Alize

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Smilie

Texas Ranger, I'm a wholesale lab so without giving away my costs, we make money on our Crizal, and while we pay more for Alize, we also make money on it as well with prompt pays kept in mind. :)

Was just trying to give opticians and doc's an idea of where their pricing from the lab may end up at.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Have the normal AR comparison specs for abrasion resistance (Bayer) and reflectance been posted?
    RT

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Best coating ever. I have been using it since November. The water actually BOUNCES off the lens. It doesn't just bead. It is so easy to clean. I use it on all of our progressives (a few SV, but they do not stock it yet, so I use the Crizal since my stock crizal is a lot cheaper).

- Easiest to clean.
    - Supper scratch resistant.
    - Even clearer than Crizal.
    - Easy to edge (just do not clean the lens until it is out of the machine).

Sola has their Dupont Teflon lens (which I haven't tried) and Nikon has their HCC ICE, which is also the same concept, but I like the Alize better. With the ICE you get stickers instead of the film, they take a little longer. It is ten dollars more, but sell it for ten dollars more. I have customers who said that they would never go AR again (and some of these are HCC or Crizal customers), and they just love this coating. I feel every dispensery has to use these new teflon coatings.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I feel every dispensery has to use these new teflon coatings.
    Just one very minor point. The hydrophobicity of Crizal Alize (and for that matter, from what I can tell, SOLA Teflon) does not have anything to do with Teflon. There is no Teflon material in the top coat.

That said, the lenses do resist water (and oil) the way For-Life has described. In fact, I've been thinking this would be a great technology to apply to my car finish! Just think, you'd never have to wash and wax again- the rain just flies off the car, so no waterspots!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the same stuff as RAIN X that they sell for car windshields?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Is this the same stuff as RAIN X that they sell for car windshields?
    No, its different stuff... However, I will say that RAINX works pretty well. After an application, I don't even have to use my windshield wipers!

Now, if we can just get that "all over car" product, I'll be a happy camper (just spent an hour washing the car... I'm sure it will rain on Monday- just enough to splatter up the car).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

A bit off topic, but........

There are some non-wax car coatings out there. They last for a few months rather than weeks.

If you want to drive yourself crazy, check out www.autopia.org

That forum is as addicting as this one. I had to swear off both for quite a while.

Hello as you know Crizal AR has laser marking on the lens when you breath on it you'll see it. The laser mark is a sign that you or customer wasn't ripped off from premium quality product.

Will there be laser marking on Crizal Alize?

Occupation
    OdTech said:
    Hello as you know Crizal AR has laser marking on the lens when you breath on it you'll see it. The laser mark is a sign that you or customer wasn't ripped off from premium quality product.

Will there be laser marking on Crizal Alize?
    Yes there is. I also hate those laser markings. They have not been so bad after crizal moved theirs from the centre to the bottom. The huge one in the centre made it hard to clean, especially with those yellow markings. I also get more complaints about the breath markings than without (customers complain, but they put up with it).

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Actually, the marking is created by an ion gun. To create the Airmark, a mask is used (like a stencil) and the very top of the hydrophobic coating is removed from a portion of the lens. As a result, when you breathe on the lens, the moisture from your breath sticks to the Airmark, but not the rest of the lens.

For several reasons, I cannot say whether or not the Airmark will be used for Alize lenses. I can tell you that currently the inclusion of the logo is in the plans for the product. If anyone else has positive or negative impressions regarding the Airmark, I would be glad to hear them.

The rationale behind the Airmark is exactly as you describe. It allows the patient to verify that s/he has received the correct AR. PALs may be identified by their "engravings" (which, btw, are actually raised areas on the lens created by the mold), but it can be hard to identify an AR type. The Airmark thus acts something like the Nike swoosh- noting to the consumer that s/he has received what was ordered.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete, the Alize lenses that I have used have the airmark logo.

I understand Essilor's and Nikon's reasoning behind it. It is just the fact that most customers are not familiar with the brands. So it is not really something that most of my customers care about.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Branding

I personally think that the "airmark" is a great way to promote patient loyalty and increase brand awareness. I think we'll find in the next few years more patients will be aware of the products (arc) available and will begin to demand certain brands, this is something that the big box stores might not be able to provide and allow the independants to thrive.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We already see that with Varilux. If a patient comes in asking for Varilux and we decide that's the way to go, we deliver the lens to the patient with the Varilux Comfort or Panamic ink still on so the patient knows they received a premium progressive. It may be a bunch of writing to have to remove but the patient knows they got what they wanted and paid for.

Occupation
    You guys must get better advertisment in the States.

Thread Information