Thread: OAA question # 1

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OAA question # 1

In the December issue of
    The American Optician, the new president of OAA, Curt Duff, asked the following question:

Do Opticians have a need to be recognized as a group?

I think the answer to that question is obviously yes but there are some who may disagree. In any event, if you have thoughts, please share them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't tell you how many "opticians" have told me at meetings: "I work for a doctor, as long as he's happy I don't need associations or education.

Chip, Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There are none so blind as those who cannot see!

chip anderson said:
    Can't tell you how many "opticians" have told me at meetings: "I work for a doctor, as long as he's happy I don't need associations or education.

Chip, Optician
    Chip the above subject is not directed at you.....for 2 reasons.

1. You go to the meetings!
    2. You got the education!

even though you don't always admit it, you have a high regard for this profession and our place in it. Its up to us to do what we can to establish and maintain the standards of practice. Its up to us to raise the bar, sometimes leaving ourselves behind if necessary,for the betterment of the profession.

Opticians need to be recognized as a group because thats what its going to take to
    survive. . The association has more to do with survival than it does education, although it gives us education as a sidelight.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Certainly Opticians should be recognized as a group. The larger issue is getting Opticians to recognize themselves as professionals, not just adjunct office staff.

I believe strongly that the ABO/NCLE, as the certifying body of our profession, should use its resources not only to administer examinations and accredit continuing education courses, but also to educate the public on the role of certified Opticians in today's health care delivery system and the importance of recognizing that certification.

OAA is a trade/legislative body not a provider of education, however providing education has become a significant source of income, since membership at both the individual and firm levels has declined. I know I've said this many times in the past, but I still see the future of OAA as bright. They have made great strides in the past year in reducing their debt load and stabilizing their management staff. Both OAA and NAO are there for us and because of us. ABO/NCLE, NFOS and COA offer the public the security of a well-trained and educated practicioner.

We should not let any of our organizations down by turning our backs on them for past issues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb What do we want to be

What do we want to be? If you want to be called an optician then you are in a group of people who define themselves by certain educational guidelines for that profession. Calling yourself an Optician and actually being an Optician defined by these guidelines are two different perspectives. In Ohio if you call yourself an Optician and go out and practice without a license (solo) you are breaking Ohio State Law. If I'm in a country that doesn't regulate professions I can call myself whatever I want.

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Educational Guidelines??

There are no NATIONAL educational guidlelines for opticians. In fact, less than half the states in the US even license opticians. Few states that do license opticians don't have any "education" requirements; many opt for an apprenticeship program.

I think there is a need for a unified representation for opticians to focus our needs and increase the awareness of what an optician is. Many "opticians" that work for a doctor are treated like ancillary personnel and therefore feel that is what an optician is. If we had a National minimum requirement maybe we would be in better shape.

-Brendan:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation There most certainly is a National Guideline

What do you consider ABO/NCLE requirements? Those states that have licenses require continuing EDUCATION for license renewal. Again- you can call yourself what you wish as long as you can back it up and educational standards are the means for backing up the profession "Opticianary".

:idea:
    Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry,

I don't have the exact numbers anymore but there are some licensed states that do not require CE to maintain licensure. I absolutely do not call the ABO/NCLE national EDUCATION requirements. They are simply a benchmark of minimum competency.

I fully agree with you that Opticianry would be better defined if there was a national educational requirement (ex. AS Degree).
    Then, when we call ourselves opticians we all would be speaking on the same terms.

-Brendan

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What do we want, why do we want it?

OK: Everybody wants education, Everybody wants Licensing.

What to we want to accomplish by this?
    Do we want to get rid of cheap untrained competion?
    Do we want to improve our own minds and ablilities?
    Do we just feel "I've done it so everyone else should have to?"
    Do we think we will get more money?
    Do we think we will have more status in the comunity?
    Do we think that we will have more honorable people in the comunity (trust me educationa and ethics are not mutualy inclusive)?
    Do we want to eliminate chains?
    Do we want to eliminate precriber dispensing?
    Do we care about "the consumer" or public health?
    Do we want to slowly legislate ourselves in to a higher form of live as the optometerist have been doing?
    Just what do we want and why do we want it?

Chp:finger:
    Last edited by chip anderson; 01-30-2004 at 08:30 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That just about covers....

all the bases. As usual the Chipster is right on the money. I would suspect that all the reasons above are valid reasons to encourage being recognized as a group, whether or not they are altruistic. There's nothing wrong in wanting more money or status. There's nothing wrong in wanting to emulate Optometry's blueprint for recognition.

The only thing thats wrong is to look in from the outside, expecting "the other guy" to do it. I am going to be interested in what Judy has to say when she gets back-perhaps she'll start a thread and we'll learn something.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information