Thread: SRC question

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

SRC question

I am curious if anyone is still offering SRC as an add on. Or do you do like I do and include it as part of the lens.
    I give the price of a lens and say it is for the scratch resistant lens.
    I do not offer lenses that scratch unless someone really wants them. Terry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you realy use the scratch coated lenses!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do use hardcoats, all factory applied!
    I have an order form that I use to fax orders in to the labs that I use, the form has a permanent X in the SRC box. The only SV lenses I stock are Silor True Tint and Permaguard.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can order hard coated lenses from nassau for just a fraction over the cost of regular stock lenses. It sounds like a good idea to me! But I don't do it as of yet!

ad

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    LENNY said:
    Lenny almost anyone with honesty and integrity does if that's what they sold either as a product or a warrenty. And I am not impying you don't, just addressing the question. The EyeglassWorlds in life not withstanding, most sellers to the end user realize they do neither the consumer or themselves a favor by increasing the likelihood of a return and decreasing the likehood of referrel or repeat business. Or at least in a perfect world I hope that's true.:hammer:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You can do them yourself ...................

LENNY said:

In today's age and economic times one should offer lenses at a basic price and then:

do a sales job for an ad on of hard coat which you can apply yourself in seconds................

then do a sales job for a UV treatment which you can do yourself in 2 minutes ..........................

the do a sales job and sell a tint, which you can do in 60 second yourself .......................

and you sold a pair of lenses at a super competitiuve price making a large junk of the selling price as extra profit !

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, so do you sell everything ala carte?
    I try to bundle as much as possible. I would much rather offer the higher priced item and then come down rather than offer the lower priced item and come up. If someone hands me an rx with UV prescribed I give them the total cost of the lens with SCR,and UV included, I don't like the extra, extra approach.
    So you sell a PAL, poly or high index... you buy them with SRC. Is it an option when you sell it? No, I don't think so! I bet you say the PAL is $X and that lens has the SRC included. Why not sell all lenses that way?
    To me it's like, having to pay extra for a baked potato, to go along with that steak, or paying extra for new valve stems for the new tires. When I buy something, I like the bottom line...out the door!
    With all of the opitions available you can't bundle everything, I rarely sell a lens without a SCR, only if soemone wants the bare minimum. If someone wants a sunglass lens I give them the bottom line with or without Polarized, tint, SRC, UV, all included. It seems to work for me.
    Terry

I am not a fan of package pricing, however I offer the price of Cr39 Sv w/scatch included. Selling up is more work and makes the patient feel like they are spending more and more, decreasing the likelyhood of them getting everything.

Also when I sell its about 95% AR coated with no problems, so scratch isn't an issue.

mrba

Occupation

You have a point ........................

CME4SPECS said:
    Chris, so do you sell everything ala carte?...........

To me it's like, having to pay extra for a baked potato, to go along with that steak, or paying extra for new valve stems for the new tires. When I buy something, I like the bottom line...out the door!

With all of the opitions available you can't bundle everything, I rarely sell a lens without a SCR, only if soemone wants the bare minimum.Terry
    Terry, you got a point. But you might have created a reputation for yourself, or your store of selling high end products.

You might not get the clientele that is looking for the basic down to earth product.

Optical retail selling has been made easy by direct brainwash advertising to the public by the major optical corporations who push their lenses, their specially named hard, or AR coatings that are made with the same Sio2 basic material in vacuum depositions as the next one without a fancy brand name.

Your supplier work with the same mentality as you, and I am not saying that this is wrong, we all want to sell at the highest price possible because there is more profit in it.

But the possibility of selling at a lower price and making a higher profit still exist's for the retail store that has some basic lab installation. Just by doing some basic lens treatments in house lets you make the extra buck that makes up for the lower price you are selling the end product.

I personally would prefer to make an extra $40.00 to $ 80.00 in my pocket on a pair of lenses and get my fingers dirty for a few minutes, be more competitive and sell at a lower price than my competitors.

The a la carte solution is not so bad after all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok!

People I have a hard time getting $20 fot SV lenses. Now try to upgrade them for a hard coat!
    I wish i can sell Hard coated lenses only for about $80.
    I wish!

Occupation

Scratch Resistant,

LENNY said:
    Ok!

People I have a hard time getting $20 fot SV lenses. Now try to upgrade them for a hard coat!
    I wish i can sell Hard coated lenses only for about $80.
    I wish!
    Lenny,

I have been manufacturing hard coat products since 1982. We make some of the hardest UV curable type available on the market, but you need expensive machinery to apply them.

On the other hand we do make a product where you dip the lens into the liquid at room temperature for a few seconds, remove it, dry it and you have a permanent scratch resistant slick coat that is also anti-stat and anti-fog besides the scratch resistant property!

You can do easily up to 150 pairs per bottle, which translates into below a half Dollar per pair of lenses with about a total of 15 seconds of work.

If you go and make yoiur calculations you could probably easily sell an add-on treatment at your decision, even in Brooklyn which is a tough selling area, many others do it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny, Are you kidding? $20 a pair? WOW! How can you make it selling at those prices?

Thread Information