Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a Sales Rep?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

What do you look for in a Sales Rep?

So the truth is that it looks as though I am going to be taking a sales position with a well established frame company that I will mention after everything is finalized.

You guys are a microcosm of the industry and could really give me some good advise on this subject. I know from being an optician for quite a while, what I like and what I do not. But despite being an ethical individual that will not be spiffing under the table, adding on frames to orders, not returning phone calls, and all of the other stuff that has made reps famous; I realize that you can't carry everyone.

So under what circumstances do you see a new rep or decide to expand your business with a specific company? In short, what makes a person someone that you want to do business with?

Thanks everybody!

:cheers: ad

No one knows who their rep is going to be, so the decision to do business is based not on the rep, but on the company's product, policies, reputation, etc.

Then when you as rep show up, I know I like to see someone who is knowledgable about the frame line and company policies, and who will go to bat for me when there is a problem.

It also helps if you are enthusiastic about your product and believe in your company. We have one rep who seems totally bored when showing us frames. On the other hand, we have other reps who will tell us that this is a new frame, that is one of the best sellers, this color sells better than that one, etc. I like doing business with that kind of rep.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    From the context of your post it appears you indeed have a few good ideas of getting started on the right foot. Along the way, a few frame reps have done some things in my shop that hasn't compelled me to continue doing business with these folks. However, there is a company that we do good business together but only on the terms that their rep stays out of my shop. I am sure these are not just my peeves and something you may want to keep in mind:

A few things NOT to do as a frame rep:

1. Pull frames out of your bag to show customers who are selecting new eyewear unless asking the owner or manager first.

2. Quote wholesale prices in front of retail customers.

3. Use the retailers phone for an extended period of time (more than two minutes)

4. Discuss the business practices of surrounding accounts.

5. Show up with associate reps unless the account has been previously informed and agrees to seeing both of you.

6. Curse or tell dirty jokes that may be offensive to ANYONE.

7. Park in the Handicap spot so that you don't have to carry your frame bags further than if you parked in the regular parking lot.

8. Take your cell phone calls while also taking the time of the person looking at your frames.

9. Expect accounts to put much value on your product when you show your frames with missing nosepads, eyewire screws, demo lenses, etc.

10. Assume an accounts first order came through with out any problems. Arrival condition, back orders, cases, and billing terms. A quick phone call a week after the order ships exhibits your genuine interest.

My .02 worth

Merry Christmas
    Kevin

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Best of Luck to You Aaron

when recoomending a frame line, the rep has a lot to do with why, because you know there is a lot of product out there. Here's some of my ideas:
    • follow through
    • respect for time
    • value added services
    • recognizing that if you do not have an appointment and the location is busy, drop your card and leave
    • thorough product knowledge
    • williness to be a partner and that does not always mean co-op, that dying thing, sometimes it's elbow grease
    • knowing that a trunk show or training time is an investment on the future
    • timely RA's
    • I'll think of more but always end with a huge smile and gracious manner whether you get the order or not.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Be sure to tell customers you are an Optician, and remind them occasionally by saying things like" when I was Dispensing".

Many companies hire non optical people and expect them to "optical talk" usually this is this kind of rep's first mistake.

Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk, you are already ahead of the non optician rep's, Good Luck, John Z.
    John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the good reminders! I can't believe that some reps get away with so much!!

I am going to try to take the approach that I am more than just a frame peddler. Almost all of my reps are very pleasent and don't really do anything wrong. But very few go the extra distance to find out a specific need and meet it. I want to make myself available for staff training, marketing consulting, cleaning and visual merchandising, helping with whatever needs help.

What would be above and beyond the call of duty for one of your reps?

ad

Staff training and merchandising would be above and beyond, definitely. What do you mean by cleaning?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I guess I mean just the simple courtesy of cleaning up any little area set aside for me (and its frames,) when I come in, weather or not I am there to sell.

ad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE]johntricity said:
    Be sure to tell customers you are an Optician, and remind them occasionally by saying things like" when I was Dispensing".

Sorry, John. That is not usually true. The common response from a number of opticians is usually, "Oh, couldn't get a real job??!!"
    And quite frankly, I don't care what you did when you were dispensing...because if you were good at it, you wouldn't be selling frames!

Number One: KNOW YOUR FRAME LINE. Many of the best sales people I know never dispensed, but they knew their product line inside out!

Number Two: NEVER,NEVER,NEVER assume you know a client's business better than they do. "Well, this is my best selling frame in Kansas!!!" Well, this ain't Kansas, Toto. Chances are pretty good that your client knows his customers alot better than you do. Listen, learn and be helpful. Suggest, but NEVER push. One thing store owners hate is having to send back frames that they KNEW would not work, but the rep promised they were sure fire winners.

Number Three: Pretty much everything Laurie C. and PAkev said! Though I might add, leave your cell phone in the CAR! Remember, when you are in MY store, you are on MY time!

Number Four: ALWAYS bring food! Donuts or bagels are always a big hit and will get you more sales!

Number Five: Just because I don't want it today, doesn't mean I may not want it tomorrow. Again, listen, learn and be helpful!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Helllo Aaron I wish good luck and the best of all!:D

Since you want to go and be a salesrep. A 2020 magazine got something that would interst you. I assume corporate and high -end store/accounts expect from you according magazine's' article 'Through My Lens':

Are you getting the most value from your optical sales reps? If not, maybe you’ve underestimated what they can do for you. A good sales rep can do a lot more than fill product orders. He or she can give you the market intelligence and the product knowledge to help build your practice or business while serving your patients better.

This is especially true when it comes to ophthalmic lenses. There are more types of lenses and lens treatments on the market today than ever before and practitioners need to do everything possible to understand these products and learn how to integrate them into their practices. A knowledgeable rep can explain a product’s features, benefits and offer advise on dispensing techniques, merchandising, inventory management, marketing and more. Practitioners can not afford to pass up this resource, particularly when it comes walking in their door.

:idea:

Occupation
    [QUOTE]EyeManFla said:
    johntricity said:
    Number Four: ALWAYS bring food! Donuts or bagels are always a big hit and will get you more sales!
    I would like to see a vote of how many out there that this type of expectation would persuade them to buy more product. Remembering back when I sold frames, this type of action is best done for those accounts who don't expect it, and those that do expect it are not worth calling on anyways.

Just my .02 cents worth.
    Todd Stickler, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sticklert said:
    I would like to see a vote of how many out there that this type of expectation would persuade them to buy more product. Remembering back when I sold frames, this type of action is best done for those accounts who don't expect it, and those that do expect it are not worth calling on anyways.

Just my .02 cents worth.
    Sticklert,

I would vote not to bring food, every time. Why? Donuts and bagles, please...that's an insult. We're not children. Every once in a while, a special something, maybe during the holidays. A nice cup of coffee or tea...

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

And if you bring candy, at least vary the kind. We have a rep who brings the exact same candy every time, and although we appreciate the thought, the staff is sick of Jelly Bellies.

Occupation
    I respectfully disagree with EyeMan regarding previous dispensing experience. I think people are sick of sales reps whose last job was selling makeup or stuff to grocery store chains. An optician (that know what they are doing) will know what frames will work with what RX's, when a sunglass can't be done opthalmically etc. I would also cultivate relationships with the manufacturer and lab reps in your area. I have some great frame reps in my area that help me out all the time and I always try to return the favor. I know you live in SoCal so if you end up in my territory let me know, I will help in any way I can. What I have learned over the last 6 years is to be polite, always call people back right away, out service my competition whenever possible and always be willing to go that extra mile. I am persistent without being pushy and that has worked well for me. It has taken me 4 years to get into some accounts but it was worth it. Stick around and don't switch companies. Know your product lines and what is on backorder. Use that food bribe sparingly with people who appreciate it. I agree it is much more effective as an occaisional treat as opposed to an every call thing. Don't stretch the truth even a little. If you or the company screw up, be honest-if you fib they WILL catch you eventually and once your credibilty is shot, forget it. Best if luck and let us know where you end up when it is official!!! :D
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah, Optiboarders never let me down. As always, the farther up the food chain you go, the more of your sense of humor you lose!

Karen, I don't disagree with you comments. I was pointing out, however, that not all the best reps were dispensing opticians and without a doubt, not all dispensing opticians would make great sales reps.

In the 30 years that I have been in the business, if I were to list my top 10 sales reps between the Philadelphia,Md/DC and Sarasota/Venice markets, NONE of them ever dispensed a pair of eyeglasses in their professional lives. However, I do have a problem with the current business sense that says that if you could sell cars, clothes and watches, you can sell eyeglass frames.

I know that many will disagree, but quite frankly, you go to wonder about an LDO who quite to become a sales rep. However, I have no problem with someone who worked dispensing side and found their niche in sales. Knowledge of the profession is good, knowledge of your product is utmost.

Being truthful is a must, but rather difficult when the big companies lie to their reps as often as they do their customers.
    Last edited by EyeManFla; 12-29-2003 at 04:02 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Problems of the sales rep ................

I just read all the posting, and everybody has given some good advice.

What makes me wonder is that nobody has given the new rep with optical expirience an idea how he can get his foot into the door of a business that has not done previous business with the company he is going to work for.

This is actually a rep's major problem. Getting new accounts that slam the door in his face. At that stage it makes no difference if he has expirience because the conversation never gets that far.

You guy's and girls are the retailers, how about telling him how you would soften up towards a new face of a new company you have never dealt with and what does it take for you to open the door.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never walk in off the street cold. If I'm busy, that's a sure fire way to get your self tossed out.

I appreciate it when a rep CALLS ahead of time, introduces themselves and ASKS if they may set up an appointment to introduce the line.

Nine times out of ten, I will entertain a visit if contacted ahead of time.

Oh, in answer to a previous question, I have never done business with a company BECAUSE of the rep, but I have STOPPED doing business with a company BECAUSE of the rep!

Occupation
    EyeManFla said:
    Ah, Optiboarders never let me down. As always, the farther up the food chain you go, the more of your sense of humor you lose!

I know that many will disagree, but quite frankly, you go to wonder about an LDO who quite to become a sales rep. However, I have no problem with someone who worked dispensing side and found their niche in sales. Knowledge of the profession is good, knowledge of your product is utmost.
    Can I be the part of the food chain that includes cheeseburgers??:bbg: Pregnant ladies can never have enough cheeseburgers. I think one of the reason here in beautiful California people leave dispensing to sell frames/work for a lab etc. is that there is more money in it.. Alas, our licensing is really just a way to get $75. out of us and beleive it or not being ABOC out here frequently makes no difference at all ( I am, in case you wondered ;) I live inland and an optician out here even with experience is sometimes not well paid. I also really enjoy setting my own hours, no weekends (well, rarely) and being able to take my son to the Dr or to soccer practice, something that was difficult when I was dispensing.

I agree that big companies lie, the last one I worked for hung us out to dry with a doozie but whenever you can be honest, you should.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Those cheeseburgers wouldn't happen to be from In and Out would they? :D

Occupation
    keithbenjamin said:
    Those cheeseburgers wouldn't happen to be from In and Out would they? :D
    You know it-double double with ketchup, mustard and grilled onions!! Or Wendy's if the family wants a little variety. Oh, and Frisco burgers from Marie Callendars, and Whoppers...there are so many to choose from!!

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Nothing compares to an In and Out <drool>. Haven't had one in years. :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One daughter prefers "In and Out" , one prefers "Mo' Better Meaty Meat Burgers". It must be a west coast thing. Me, I prefer "Five Guys". Best burgers and fresh fries in the DC area!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the Reps that sell frames from the trunk of their car for 70% off!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Little Tavern, White Castle or Krystal Burger...it's all good, Baby!:bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In-N-Out "Animal" style is definetly the one!

Thanks for all of the input! Some great advise!

Eye Man,

I definetly have to second Karen's statement about pay rates in CA. I am not sure what everyone is paid but a CA lisense is just a mailed in fee and has no value behind it. As an optician I could probably not cap out at much more than I already make. So at least the POTENTIAL is there to make more money. My question is if someone is very respectful of your time why would it be bad for them to stop in and say hi with the thought not of showing you a tray full of frames, but of setting aside a more conveniant time later? I prefer the personal contact and wouldn't have considered that inappropriate in the past. And I will definetly learn everything there is to know about my lines. Thanks for the reminder!

Karen,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will be in Riverside, Orange, and San Diego counties. I am not sure if that includes R.C. (it would be nice to go to Riptides, its a cool bar out there) but if it does it would be nice to actually meet you.

Here are my two final questions? Does it REALLY make a differance if you are brought food, wouldn't you rather have help? I had two reps in today. One brought me cookies and left a PILE of frames to go back to the manufacturer on the corner of my desk. The other one asked if she could box up the returns for me , learned our inventory system, pulled all of the cases, cleaned the frames, boxed them up , and left them open for my review. That is definetly the more impressive of the two for myself on the optician side of it.

Secondly, Chris made a good observation. How do you first get in the door? What is it that makes you see a newbee!

Thanks again and sorry for the long post.:D

ad

Thread Information