3 12.00%
  • Smooth Roll

22 88.00%

Thread: How do you adjust temples

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question How do you adjust temples

This pole is to find out if you use the "hockey stick bend" or do you use the smooth roll to the patients skull and adjust for any anomiles.

I still think that most O.D.'s use the hockey stick bend on temple adjustments and most Opticians use the smooth roll adjustments.

What are your thoughts in temple adjustments.

Robert
    ;)
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Actually , I think the method used is determined not by occupation, but by whether the adjuster knows what the heck they're doing.
    With that said, I have had a few rare occasions where the temple just wouldn't bend any other way than at one point, resulting in the hockey stick form.
    What really gets me peeved is to see a child come in with temples wrapped so far around his ears they almost make a complete circle, and all that is behind his ear is bare metal now. Maybe it's just the trauma of having bad adjustments done when I was a child.

Blake

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try to remember that the temple is supposed to hug the back of the head behind the ear. It is not supposed to touch the back of the ear (except cables and they should conform precisely to the shape of the ear.) I see so many people (just sit in the back of the church) where the temple has been bent down so far that the top of the temple bend is actually an inch above the ear. I find myself wanting to go up in the middle of church and correct the problem.

Temples should not touch the face/head before they reach the top of ear bow them out if required. The should be custom lengthed, not just bent down because they are too long. The smarter frame manufacturer's make them all too long expecting the optician to shorten them. Too bad there aren't that many smarter frame manufacturer's around.

Many years ago opticians used to be trained in the many shapes of ears and noses and the applicable temple and bridge styles for same. Sorry we lost that.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 12-16-2003 at 09:01 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I was trained by some old opticians ( alah Chip ), and real frame adjusting is a lost art. Its too bad that all of these schools are pumping out opticians untrained and with failing grades while collecting vocational insurance money.

ad

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, Bob Rihl once sent me an email on Temple Adjustment 101; he definitely made adjustments a craft. I can't believe how long it would take just to do a temple adjustment, heating, forming, filing and polishing until each temple was entirely custom tailored to the customer.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We learned...........

That the curve behind the ear is different from one person to the other even from right to left and has to be bent so that it follows the curve of the ear and hugs the head as Chip say's.

No head and no ear likes the HOCKEY STICK method because when the glasses slide they temple tip touches the little cartiladge bumb behind the ear and creates painful discomfort with red marks and even sores.

Patients should be told that a frame is an unfinished product and is only ready when perfectly adjusted on the face.

It's funny that we the oldies know about these matters and the younger ones do not know all these (normal in the old day's) routines

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, I was interested in your comment how opticians were trained in ear and nose shapes. As a former mortician, one of our classes was "restorative art", the practice of rebuilding faces and hands in the event of disfigurement.

I would highly suggest anyone in this profession to try and find a book on restorative art, just for the fact that all facial, nasal, ear shapes are explained or for that matter, an excellent anatomical art book might might do the trick.

Personally, I like the smooth roll. If necessary, I use the eyewire shaper pliers to achieve the smooth curl that I look for in temple shaping.

Bob V.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it depends on your definition of hockey bend, however I have always subscibed to the fitting method advocated by two very highly respected 'oldies' (I'm sure that they will pardon the description), Brooks and Borish, in their text System for ophthalmic dispensing. It's worked for me for thirty-one years (well over forty as a wearer). I suppose that makes me an oldie too.

Regards
    David

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb temples

.....The fine art of adjusting temples and frames for that matter, is to first remember that everyone is an individual and no two adjustments will neccesarily be the same.
    .....First until you take into account the assemetry of the human face, you realize that no two sides of the face are the same. Quite often the bend on one side is not the same as the other side in relation to where you make the first and most critical bend.
    .....One of the bad habits we tend to get into as opticians is the four point stance, which is not neccesarily correct in all cases, most often when we lay the frame down, bottom first and then see if both temple tips touch the table at the same time.
    .....If the patient has one ear slightly further back then the other, you may run into this situation. Furthermore we also have a tendency to make both temples go back evenly on both sides of the face, whereas with the assemetry of the face, one may have to be splayed out further and the other less.
    .....Most of this is due to the fact that the human body has a natural curve to the left, and if you look, you can see this quite prominently in the vast majority of faces, thus the right side of the patients head has a tendency to be a little more convex then the left side.
    .....This is why i like splaying out the temples and then custom curving them on each side. By using this method you will find the spatula part of the temple will usually fit flat to the mastoid instead of digging in at an angle, having you then bend it back out.
    .....The four point stance should always be your reference to start with, so that you know that you have a level frame to work with.

Hello cool topic discussed here i use hockey stick bend but have no idea how the smooth roll is done or have any clue how its looks Can anyone post a picture of it. Do you have to use any tools or just hands too?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey OD, I describe a hockey tip bend as a bend done in haste. Essentially you determine where you want the bend to be and just crimp it down(make a sharp change in the curvature of the wire). The patient will intially like the changes you have made but will most likely find them uncomfortable after a few hours of wear.
    I find that in most cases no tools are needed to make a smooth curve. Sometimes it takes a liitle heat but a gentle forming motion with your hands should form the temple to the shape you would like. With materials like beta-ti I don't use any heat but find I can adapt the temple to the proper shape by using the same motions a few times. Hope this helps. Some people are more sensitive to the mastoid bend then others. That really goes without saying. From face to frame it's a fluid art form, if you get my drift.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look, it's simple just make sure that the frame or lens does not touch the face until the top of the ear. Whatever is located behind the ear should fit firmly against the head. Nothing else except the nose pads (or saddle or whatever) should touch the face.

If it presses on the mastoid (bone behind the mid to lower ear, bend this out until the pressure is releaved but not to the point of stand-away from the head.

Chip;)

Thread Information