Thread: AR Mirrored Transition Question

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question AR Mirrored Transition Question

I’m aware that this is a board primarily used for people in the trade and not consumers, but I have a question I hope you won’t mind me posting.

I have been tirelessly attempting to find a local store where I can get lenses with all of the options I am looking for. These are:
    • A high-quality scratch-and-smudge resistant AR coating (Crizal Alize seems nice, and I’m in the southeast).
    • A very light blue-silver slightly mirrored fashion tint
    • The lens to transition darker outdoors.
    I’ve done a lot of research online, and think that the closest thing to what I want is a Carl Zeiss package with the Carat Cool Blue tint and AR coating on a TNG lens. But this seems like it is darker than I want. The blue tint I am interested in is similar to that which Chanel used in the fashion glasses that seemed popular about a year ago (I primarily saw them in either a light blue or pink color). The glasses will primarily be worn indoors, and the tint will primarily be for fashion, making indoor use and fashion the priority in any trade-off of features which would be beneficial outdoors. Also, my correction is minimal so I am free to consider most materials.

As a note, last month while I was looking for a shop that offered all of the options I am interested in (even an internet or mail-order company), I came across Lamary-K and called to ask for a recommendation to one of their customers. I believe I spoke to Keith Benjamin, and noticed that he has some posts to this board also. Thank you for taking the time to help a consumer!

Finally, if anyone has a suggestion for store to visit in the Tampa Bay area (Tampa, Clearwater, Palm Harbor, St. Petersburg) or a mail-order company where I can find such lenses, I would be very appreciative. I haven’t found anyone who can answer my questions or even knows all of the features I am talking about, and I would really like to get some answers so I can buy a new set of glasses.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by shopper; 12-09-2003 at 02:38 AM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optiboarders don't have to know all.....

Shopper, nice to have you aboard. Consumers are welcome here too!

Optiboarders don't have to know all the answers, they just have to know where to find them. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your post to Jim Schafer, our resident Transitions guru who may want to comment.

Your post brings up an interesting question. If the transitions lens is mirror coated, won't the mirror reflect some of the rays that allow the lens to darken? If that is the case, ( And I don't have a clue!) your lens may not get "too dark" for your purposes. In any event, I'll be waiting to learn something new today as well.

I know we have members in your area so finding one here should not present a problem.
    hj

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For a blue photochromic try Beloptix. I do believe they use Zeiss AR. You would have to ask them about mirror coating.

http://www.beloptix.com/

I'm sure they would be able to help you find a local optician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo!

Could you tell us about your experence with Beloptix!

Thanks

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Photochromatic lenses .........................

Particles in photochromatic lenses work with the influence of UV light.

Therfore a mirror will reflect incoming light sources and the photochromatic value will be diminished by the amount of UV reflected.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Several labs run mirrors on Transitions promotions. Carl Zeiss Cool Blue on XTRActive Gray was very popular. That lens started out with a tint and the blue reflect really set the tint off as a fashion statement. From what I have seen, Cool Blue on Transitions®Lenses (1.50, Trivex™, poly and 1.67 High index) all look pretty great. The Zeiss Gold ET on Transitions Brown is very good looking. I have not seen the new silver mirror that was recently released.
    Great Lakes Lab in Michigan have what are called Cafe' Colors, these mirrors are an assortment of wild looking colors and gradients.
    21st Century Lab in NYC also promte their fashion mirrors on Transitions products.
    Harry, to answer your question, from what I have seen, the activation speed and darkeness are not affected by the mirror coatings. Back in mid 1980's development period, a lab in Cleveland custom coated mirrors on plano photochromic lenses. I still have the samples. They were silver, gold and blue, both solid and variations of gradients. So far all practical purposes, mirrors have been on Transitions products from the concept stage to todays vastly superior coating technologies.

I think the best thing for shopper is to pick out the light blue tint and have Carat AR applied. Carl Zeiss Carat and SET AR has that distinctive but very light blue reflect color instead of the green that most AR stacks have. The SOLA Teflon Easy Care also has a very classy looking ice blue reflect color.

I live in Palm Harbor and know of 2 classy shops, lot of high end eyewear featuring mirrors...neither shop I can name by name off hand, never paid that much attention!...but one is in Caladesi Plaza on the corner of Curlew Rd and Alt 19 and the other is in the Shoppes of Cloverleaf on the north side of Tampa Road about 1.5 miles east of 19. It is the same plaza that Surf and Turf butcher shop is located.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hcjilson,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have read two articles on how it is now possible to apply the Zeiss mirror coutings on photochromatic lenses, so I'm pretty sure it is usable (although I would imagine that too opaque of a mirror coat would cause problems). Then again, I only know what I've read, which simply makes me dangerous and quite possibly wrong.

Jo,

Thanks for the link to beloptix. I had found them online before because of their colored transitions, but they didn't seem to do anything with the mirror coatings. After your suggestion, I called them. They are doing some research and then calling me back. I'll keep the board posted.

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind some loss in the photochromatic value, as these lenses will be primarily for indoor use.

Jim,

Thanks for the great information. I couldn't find anything about Great Lakes Lab in Michigan, do you have a link? I found 21st Century Optics and called them, but they only have the ability to flash silver on a colored lense. The person I talked to didn't think that would look like the light blue/silver effect that was common on some designer fashion lenses a year or two ago (the chanel glasses stand out in my mind).

Thanks also for the two shop suggestions. I spend some time living in Ozona (right by the Caladesi Plaza) and I love shopping at the Surf and Turf! I will check them both out. Thanks!

Transitions aside, does anyone know the best way to get the color affect I am interested in?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Shopper,
    The internet address for Great Lakes Coating Laboratories is http://www.antireflective.com[/URL] .
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim,
    Thanks for the address to GLCL. I'm going to give them a call as well.

Jo,

Beloptix called me back and they are sending a lens to me. I'll update when I get it.

Anyone who has any experience with trying to get the primarily transparent blue-silver affect, please feel free to throw in any suggestions.

Thanks Again,
    The Picky Customer

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Shopper,

I have a pair with a light blue/grey gradient tint with a flash blue mirror...

It is a great look.

About the mirror coat and transmission of light: Mirror coating will mostly reflect visible light, not ultraviolet light. Enough UV light should get through to get the color change you want.

PS: I am in Tampa and would be happy to refer you to some quality optical businesses here.

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi shopper! I have seen a Transitions lens with the Zeiss Cool Blue inside - it is definitely clear enough to see your eyes-and works well as a sunglass out doors. The only thing you may not like is that it looks more reflective than that fashiony blue tint I think you are describing. It ends up looking like a flash mirror inside. Outside it looked plenty dark enough. Good Luck!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,

Thank you for the information, I appreciate you comments and offer for a referral. I sent you a PM.

Karen,

I was afraid the package may be too dark, and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

summary so far

The best suggestions I have had for this look so far (I think) are:
    A) Light blue to clear gradient
    B) Light blue to grey gradient
    C) Light blue / grey / clear double gradient
    D) Light blue transition lense
    E) Light grey transition lense

With either
    1) Silver Flash tint
    2) Blue Flash tint
    3) No Flash tint

With either
    a) Zeiss SET AR coat (blueish instead of greenish) with Carat coat
    b) Crizal Alize
    c) SOLA Teflon Easy Care
    d) Other AR
    Any votes as to the best options (or let me know if I grouped something wrong or I am misunderstanding something)?
    Last edited by shopper; 12-09-2003 at 05:15 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Can't get a Transitions lens in blue but there is a company called Solera that does (I think it is still available) a light blue that goes to dark blue outside. Last I checked it was available in non-presciption as well as single vision. I think blue with a silver flash mirror w/backside AR would look great!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have sold about ten pair of lenses this year with Transations and the Zeiss Cool Blue lenses. I also wear them in the office.They are great!!!. Not a day will go by that a pearson dosn't stop to ask me about the lenses.I also have a pair of lenses with the silver and a pair of lenses with the gold coating due in soon.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    optiman,

Thanks for the information, I am guessing you used the TNG grey as a base lens. Can you tell me which package you feel will come closest to the effect I am trying to achieve? Also, would you care to share a photo with you or someone wearing the coated pairs you have?

Thanks!
    -Adam

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss Carat Cool Blue

Adam,

Check out our web site www.zeisslenses.com
    This site will also give you a referral for a Zeiss "Expert"
    in your area.

Judy Johnson
    Territory Manager
    Carl Zeiss Optical

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This statement is from Zeiss web site

Anti-reflective technology was invented by Carl Zeiss in 1935

Is it true?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Zeiss Carat Cool Blue

judyseyes said:
    Adam,

Check out our web site www.zeisslenses.com
    This site will also give you a referral for a Zeiss "Expert"
    in your area.

Judy Johnson
    Territory Manager
    Carl Zeiss Optical
    I have ana appointment at Optical Effects in Tampa. They are a register 'expert'. Thanks!

Any input on the lense solution, I am still curious as to what everyone thinks.

-Adam

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny, yes, Zeiss invented AR Coating, originally for binoculars.
    Today, our Zeiss AR Coatings are applied to all Zeiss products, i.e. binoculars, camera lenses, microscopes, riflescopes, ophthalmic lenses, etc...

Shopper, the best solution for cleaning your lenses is "Clarity", manufacturered by Nanofilm. This cleaner is also sold as "Zeiss Lens Cleaner".

Judy

Thread Information