Warren, you and I have fought this battle for more years than I would like to recall. We both have heard all the lame excuses. Opticians have argued that the “chains” would never allow the field access to education since this might require greater pay. Unfortunately, when we had the opportunity to pursue formal education in Tennessee, it was the opticians that fought long and hard to destroy the goal.

How about the canard that Optometry would prevent education because that in a hundred or so years it might allow opticians access to refractions. Again, in Tennessee it was the optician’s state society that undercut education, not Optometrists.

Our field is saddled with an unmotivated leadership determined to remain the only uneducated branch of the health care industry. This is an unfortunate truth that seems to defy all solutions. Rather than push for change, each leadership cycle brings forward another batch of individuals determined to just do their time and tack another certificate on the wall.

Complaints are posted on OptiBoard bemoaning the sad state of opticianry and how there is a lack of respect from the other O’s. This stems from opticians wanting to equate hanging out in an optical office for a few years and passing a couple of risible tests with that of a college degree. Respect is earned, not given. If you want respect from educated professionals start with an education.

Now that I have vented, the flaming can commence.

Roy