No announcement yet.

New ABO Master Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curiously - what is the current average attention given to business management in med or optometry schools these days?

Comment

Perhaps they should have kept the Master exam as it was and created the Advanced exam as a seperate entity? But who would take both as they're so closely related in content anyway?

The new exam was created to reflect the skillset needed to manage an office and dispensary. These are the skills most employers want from a top level optician. It has a 5 percent pass rate from what I hear. Not too shabby, and you're right. It is a catch-all.

No reference is made anywhere that the new advanced exam is the old master in ophthalmic optics exam although one may infer... If it were I would agree completely with you. It is not that now; it is a higher level certification.

I'm not disagreeing with you about what should be. I'm just stating what is. I constantly see people saying these things shouldn't be in the masters exam. Well they're not! They're in the Advanced NOCE.
      Ps. I would like to add, Darryl, that I think you're tops in optics on this board, so no disrespect. I still say were arguing about semantics.
      Best regards to you,
      Wes
      Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

I do understand that this is not the exam for the "Masters" certification. But, if you look at it one way, aren't both the Basic and the Advanced NOCE pathways to the Masters certification? After all, each exam is a prerequisite for the following subsequently more difficult one (yes, and to reiterate, I do understand that the Masters certification is obtained by writing a thesis, not taking an exam). I may also be arguing semantics as mentioned earlier, but aren't all three certifications in the same realm of subject matter (they do have the same root in there abbreviated designations, ie: ABOC, ABO-AC, ABOM)? And if Business management is so important in the qualifications as an optician, why aren't there business related questions on the standard exam? Surely, as a certified optician of any level, you'd want to have even marginal strength in all areas that are required of an optician. I may just be venting because of how much I do not like studying business...:hammer:

Comment

Music, if it's any consolation to you, the version I took last Nov. only had a handful of business or agency questions (ANSI, OSHA, ect ).

Mine was mostly path, prism, formula and a lot of refraction questions.(a lot!) Concentrate more on those.

Comment

Perhaps they should have kept the Master exam as it was and created the Advanced exam as a seperate entity? But who would take both as they're so closely related in content anyway?
            I have a lot of opinions on this matter, but I will spare the 'Board my diatribe for now. ;) There are a lot of very passionate opinions regarding this topic, and all too often such heated debate ends badly on OptiBoard.

The new exam was created to reflect the skillset needed to manage an office and dispensary. These are the skills most employers want from a top level optician.
            I'm not suggesting that the new ABO-AC examination doesn't have a place or offers no value. I just feel that a certification described as a "Master in Ophthalmic Optics" should, in fact, only be conferred upon someone who has adequately demonstrated an advanced level of knowledge of ophthalmic optics and lenses.

If there really is value in testing someone on potentially related subjects, like business management, then a separate exam should continue to be administered for the ABOM certification. Right now, the only distinction between the ABO-AC and ABOM certifications is a 2,000-word paper, which in my mind makes one of these certifications redundant.

No reference is made anywhere that the new advanced exam is the old master in ophthalmic optics exam although one may infer... If it were I would agree completely with you.
            I'm not suggesting that the title of the exams are the same, or that the titles should even matter. After all, how many opticians even remember that the "ABO Exam" is really called the "National Opticianry Competency Exam?" But the Master certifications are the same, and this is all that really matters. You still get a certificate from the ABO that reads "Master in Ophthalmic Optics," as well as the "ABOM" credential.

I would like to add, Darryl, that I think you're tops in optics on this board, so no disrespect.
            Absolutely none taken. I respect the fact that every person is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I am happy to entertain any opinion that is respectfully submitted and reasonably supported, as yours always are.

Best regards,
            Darryl
            Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Comment

Originally posted by optical24/7 View Post
              Music, if it's any consolation to you, the version I took last Nov. only had a handful of business or agency questions (ANSI, OSHA, ect ).

Mine was mostly path, prism, formula and a lot of refraction questions.(a lot!) Concentrate more on those.
              Actually, that is a consolation... I feel a little better.

Comment

What do you mean, "business management"?

The Reader's Digest version of
                The 5 Point Business Managment for Opticians:

1. Take all Insurance Plans
                2. Open 7 days a week
                3. Operate a website 24/7
                4. Blame the lab for everything, and get all redone at no charge
                5. Get blamed for everything, and never EVER bill the client nor the referring doctor for any of their contributions to your bad and less profitable days.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, one more thing: NEVER think you're wrong!

B

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
                  What do you mean, "business management"?

The Reader's Digest version of
                  The 5 Point Business Managment for Opticians:

1. Take all Insurance Plans
                  2. Open 7 days a week
                  3. Operate a website 24/7
                  4. Blame the lab for everything, and get all redone at no charge
                  5. Get blamed for everything, and never EVER bill the client nor the referring doctor for any of their contributions to your bad and less profitable days.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, one more thing: NEVER think you're wrong!

B
                  LOL. True!;);)

Comment

Working...
                  X