[bc]New 3M™ Surface Saver™ Tape To Replace Current Product[/bc]
San Marcos, CA . . . Signet Armorlite, the exclusive U.S. distributor of 3M™ optical lab supplies, announces that the newest generation of 3M surfacing tape, Surface Saver™ Plus, will soon be on the market.

The design, composition and manufacture of the new tape, according to the company, closely parallels the popular 3M Surface Saver I Tape that was discontinued in the mid-1990s. “Even though it’s been several years, many labs are still talking about the advantages of Surface Saver I,” recalls Ed DeRosa, Signet Armorlite’s North American Sales and Marketing VP. “So, when the current tape had to be reformulated, 3M immediately began working to bring back Surface Saver I. Our hat’s off to 3M for successfully recapturing that product.”

Returning to a liner, the new tape conforms and stays smoothly adhered to all lens styles and base curves throughout the surfacing operation. Along with its ease of deblocking, Surface Saver Plus also features a low peel adhesion for clean, effortless tape removal as it preserves progressive lens ink markings as well.

While the transparent 3M blue color of the tape remains the same, the product numbers for Surface Saver Plus have changed to 1640 High Alloy Bond, 1641 Medium Alloy Bond and 1642 Low Alloy Bond. Each of the three proprietary bond levels is distinctive, stringently controlled, all with a powerful torque resistance against twisting.

Packed in 12 and 6-roll cases, Surface Saver Plus Tape contains 50 yards per roll, which represents 25-39% more tape than most competitor product, allowing 100-140 more lenses to be processed before a change-out. The current 3M Clear Protective Tape 1663 for non-alloy wax blocking will not be affected by the product change.

Even though each case of 3M Surface Saver Plus has 30.8% more tape than the current Surface Saver II, Signet Armorlite plans no immediate price changes.

As the inventory of the Surface Saver II is depleted, the new tape will be automatically substituted on customer orders. The company expects the new tape to be available across the product line around the end of 2003.

Inquiries about the product may be directed to Signet Armorlite Territory Sales Reps or to the company directly at 800-759-0075.

# # #
3M and Surface Saver are trademarks of 3M Company.