Thread: SECO from an Optician's View...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Having just returned from Atlanta- where I managed to meet a few OptiBoarders- I have a few observations about SECO...

• It IS nice that there are now ABO/NCLE hours available at SECO. It would be even nicer if they could straighten out their CEC credit slips. Also, no one required Florida opticians to sign attendance sheets, so I'm wondering if any of my 12 hours will be accepted.
    • Okay, this is petty, but I think there should be badges that actually say "OPTICIAN." The closest offering was "OPHTH. PROFESSIONAL." As it was, they had me registered as an OD (ugh), and my badge name read Walter (even though they had a seperate field on the registration form specifically asking what name you wanted on the badge).
    • Additionally, there were all kinds of give aways being raffled off. Interestingly enough, the raffle tickets were boldly marked "OPTOMETRISTS ONLY." Hmmmm. Guess they just don't realize that "OPHTH. PROFESSIONALS" are the ones who make 75% of the money taken in by ODs...
    • On a positive note, some of the CEs were the best I've seen- ever. Dr. Robert Calmes gave the best AIDS/HIV course I've ever attended (and that's a tough subject to make interesting). Additionally, I attended a course called Problem Based Learning given by Dr. Irwin Shwom that was absolutely excellent!
    • A communication course I took by Valerie Manso was tremendous (2 hours that flew by, I will attend any course she teaches). Dr. Daniel Strait gave great info on HCFA requirements for History Taking, and don't miss any opportunity to attend anything taught by Billie Taylor (energy to spare :) ).
    • Harriet Stein should never be approved for another ABO/NCLE course (in my not-so-humble opinion). I don't need to attend an hour long infomercial for her practice management tape series...
    • Thank you, Marchon, for always having M&Ms at every show... I live on the things between classes!

Sorry if the above review is boring, but I really wish more of us would provide reviews of speakers and/or courses. It comes in handy when one has to select courses for an upcoming conference. Perhaps we could start a forum or section to list reviews of lecturers and/or courses (whadya think, Steve?).

Pete "Hi Mary, thanks for dinner ;) " Hanlin

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good review of SECO, Pete.

I agree on the opticians badge. Opth Professional just don't get it. Plus, I put L.D.O. beside my name on my application. Did it have it on my badge? NOOOOOO.

The exhibit hall was about half of what I remember it being a few years ago. There really wasn't anything fresh and new. The Silhouette booth was always busy because of their 3 piece rimless. The exhibit hall was pretty boring.

I had one favorite lecturer and that was Roy Ferguson, PhD. He did an excellent presentation on "Fundamentals of Lens Power". The class dealt with find the power of a lens at any axis. Not only was it informational, but he was hilarious. Renee Soltis also did a good job. By the way, she just fit Larry King with glasses. No, he didn't pick out a new style because what he wears is his "image". He got 6 pairs of the same darn style.

The worst were Harriett Stein and Dr. Charles Brownlow. Pete was correct in the informercial description of her classes. Dr. Brownlow did a series on Medicare and coding. I know it is not a subject that is too interesting, but he could have at least done somethings to hold our attention. He talked in the same monotone voice and never solicited response from the class. I ended up playing games on my cell phone while in his class.

I think my absolute favorite lecturer is Dr. Irwing Schwom. He is great. Although I found Roy Ferguson to be very entertaining.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now knowing that Roy Freguson was teaching class, I wish I had gone. Your right he is great teacher, informative and funny! He done and artical a few years ago(I belive it was in 20/20) on how to deal with problem costomers. It kept me in laughing!! I'll see if I can find it and share it with you all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Pete for the imput from SECO. My husband and I had planned on going but had to change our plans at the last minuted (actually moved into a new house over the weekend). I was sorry to miss it but I did hear that the exhibit hall was not as good as in the years past.

I agree with you completely about Irwin Shwom and Valeria Manso. They are both great speakers! I really like Irwin Shwom's practical approach to his lectures. Too bad I missed their courses!

Have a good day,
    Vicki

Thread Information