Thread: Eyemed and Walmart

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Eyemed and Walmart

OK, here's a good one. I have had three different sources tell me that Walmart is about to go in league with the Evil Empire and become Eyemed providers and, of course, sell Luxottica eyewear.

Now, since Walmarts O.D.s are independent, this seems unlikely.

Anyone else heard of this?
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not ? LC's ODs are ïndependent" and they take Eyemed.

I haven't heard your rumor yet, but frankly, I'd rather they took over WM than Cole. They might add a little class to the place...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd, I have had many third party providers tell us we could not get on their insurance plan or could not be a prefered provider because we did not have a doctor on premissis. I have also had an ophthalmologist or two tell me that they had been turned down because they did not have an optical dispensary. How can LC and other chains get on such programs if their doctors are in "an independent office next door" and we cannot?

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Start your own 3rd party plan, and you can do anything you want!

...We did, although of course not on such a huge scale. Works great and no other office in the world is on it except us !

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    "How can LC and other chains get on such programs if their doctors are in "an independent office next door" and we cannot?" Well, for LC, that's easy... Lux owns them, who also owns EyeMed, as for the others... There are times where the optical will have an independant doc next to them (or in same building), then the doc leaves, but the optical can still take the plans. That does happen. Not to mention, there are times where the panels, the plans are on, are closed atm.

"OK, here's a good one. I have had three different sources tell me that Walmart is about to go in league with the Evil Empire and become Eyemed providers and, of course, sell Luxottica eyewear." -- To you, Eyemed may be an evil empire, but others enjoy the service. It's one person's opinion.

And yes Walmart did get with EyeMed, but most are no longer are. The walmart chains are owned by two different people. The bigger of the two, doesnt take eyemed. Some of the Independant docs, in those chains, still do take eyemed, though.
    Last edited by eldiin; 09-02-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

eyemed

i wonder if you have the wrong story, US VISION just joined on the eyemed plan and now all us vision stores are providers

another little tidbit, jeff cole is now alledgelly working for US VISION

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Jeff Cole is on the Board of Directors of Refac Optical Group which is the corporate parent of US Vision.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    US Vision has been part of Cole, so of course they would just join Eyemed. Eyemed and cole "pubically" and "officially" became one, January of '06. The major chain that belongs to US Vision would be JcPenney Optical, but the majority of Wal-marts are no long providers. To test this, just randomly call some Wal-marts and ask if their optical takes the Cole or Eyemed insurance. Most, by now, will say they don't.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a resurrected 2003 thread! No wonder wer'e confused!

Thread Information