Thread: AR coatings and glare

Bad address email on file

AR coatings and glare

I like AR coated lenses because I like the way the lenses look, i.e., I like the improved cosmetic appearance of the lenses.

However, I don't notice any difference when looking THROUGH uncoated and AR coated lenses. But then I don't have a problem with glare to begin with. On the other hand, my co-worker says she does notice that her AR coated lenses help reduce glare for her.

Why would some people notice a difference and others not?

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It could have to do with differing lens materials. Higher index materials will reflect more light, and thus have a more noticable difference with an AR coating. Keep in mind the kind of glare AR reduces is that caused by reflections on the lens surface itself, not reflected glare from external surfaces. These internal reflections may also be more noticable at night... that combined with increased light transmittance is what makes AR so valuable at night.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw,

Depends on the back curve and our ability to close focus or see the lens surface. I believe that steeper curves bring the reflections into a sharper focus, and flatter curves tend to have a reflection that is more dispersed. More importantly, steeper inside curves are used to correct myopia, and us myopes (I'm -4.50) can see every spec of dust, hairline scratches, you name it, we can see it. Presbyopic hyperopes on the other hand could have a gouge a mm wide on the lens surface and not have a clue. They are the ones who typically have dirt caked on the nose pad arms. I recommend against AR for most of these folks, but if your a myope you will have a hard time getting out of my shop with un-coated lenses. Everyone will benefit ultimately, under high contrast conditions, (bright lights against a less bright background), and will notice much less starbursting when coated. Try with and without at an event where there are numerous very bright lights like the light standards at a baseball or football game, or at the theater. Some people could also just be more or less sensitive to visual "noise". Could also depend on how often you often wear your glasses, under what conditions and so on.

Robert

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could be as simple as: One of you has blue eyes with large pupils (glare sensitive patient) and the other has small pupils and dark eyes (less glare prone).

Another possiblility one has a low upper lid retaining a tear layer (causes glare expecially from lights).

One of you could have a presistant mild corneal edema.

One of you could wear contact lenses an the other may not.

Lots of stuff can make one person more glare sensitive.

Chip

Thread Information