Thread: perplexed

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

perplexed

Have a patient rx aprox. R. -250 with -.50 cyl, L. -3.00 with -.50 cyl., single vision aspheric polycarb, used finished lenses.
    Small frame , b dimension 34, o.c. height 21.
    Problem she's says she having is she sees great if she tilts her head up and looks through lower part of the lenses, sees blurry looking straight ahead. I've tried raising, lowering, tilt, both panto and retro.
    Cannot figure out why, rx checks good, her old pair is .50 less on both lenses, about same size frame.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Rich R.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Assuming you have checked centers, pd, etc. Hold lens up and look at distant object (Preferably a bare flourescent tube) wiggle the lens and look for distortions.

Second suggestion: Use a better optical material, like CR-39 or Glass, no matter what is said by other members on Optiboards, Poly is optically junk.

Do not over look vertical centers, they can create lots of chromatic and othe aberrations especially in poly.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Hello Rich R,

I second, second suggestion of Chip. Also check lenses for stressed fitting.

Rgd,
    Optom

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Was she wearing poly before? oc a little high perhaps? Maybe she likes you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edKENdance said:
    Maybe she likes you?
    I am no longer amazed at how often this is the case!
    Some clients keep coming in and asking for one particular person, and getting lots of attention.... but if they have to see someone else, then they suddenly have other plans. If you have covered all the bases, and you feel that the client is really just attention seeking, try being somewhere else if you see them coming back in. (One clue: they seem very agreeable to trying "the adjustment" for several days and they want to know if you will be working the day that they think they will be returning.) Let someone else help them. (Hopefully you aren't in a pne-person shop!) If it IS a true problem, maybe the other associate will have a serendipitous moment, figuring something new to try! Some people just need some attention. If I have the time, and the client is not needlessly wasting my company's materials, that's fine with me. I enjoy a good chat and a smile!
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

If the patient is actually tilting the glasses to see better it is an indication of needing more cylinder. It may be that the Rx needs to be adjusted by the Doctor. It could also be the poly material. I'm about a minus 3 and I can't wear it. Never tried aspheric in it though :D

shutterbug

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks for all your input, she has not been back for a few days so hopefully they are working well for her.
    The thing that puzzles me is she states she has better vision further away from the optical center, usually I've seen the opposite when they get further from o.c., they have trouble.
    Thanks, Rich R.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Rich R, you didn't mention the "axis" of that -.50 cylinders...did it change much? you've moved the vertical centers up 4 mm, why? naybe she doesn't like that much more minus, and by raising her head up and looking lower in the lens, it may be less minus and more comfy..?

Hello,

Shutterbug said:

"If the patient is actually tilting the glasses to see better it is an indication of needing more cylinder. It may be that the Rx needs to be adjusted by the Doctor".

It can be possible.

Rgd,
    Optom

Were lenses fitted in metalic frame?
    Last edited by Optom; 11-04-2003 at 05:43 PM.

Thread Information