Thread: Help me pleeeeease!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Help me pleeeeease!!!!

Hello there fellow Optiboarders!!!

I have a problem and maybe someone can help!!

I have a patient who bought a Armani 1042/1138 45/20/135 approx. 6 months ago. The frame is broken and my patient is unhappy, problem is.....I cannot find a replacement for this frame! I tried calling Lux and they told me that they do not have any "frames" left. Then I called Safilo and they told me that I have to open an account with a 12 piece order!! WHAT GIVES?? Anybody out there still hanging on to some Armani frames....can anyone help meeeeee???? :angry:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If memory serves......

there was some provision in the agreement to service previous customers....at least thats what I think I remember. If all else fails ask to speak to the sales manager and explain the problem to someone who can get you what you want.

good luck from harry j

You can only order parts from luxottica! I got a temple last week!
    I don't think it would help to call Safilo because I understand that they did not buy up any of the Lux inventory!

P.S. I was told that the new Armani is a 24! It mjust be selling real well if it is already down to 12????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hold on !
    I will check tomorow!
    How about other colors?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny,

Color not an issue... the frame front is broken, not the temples or anything. When I called the customer service rep told me that they don't have frame fronts!! If you happen to have one.... I will be eternally gratefull!!! :)
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe we should all just start giving out Lux's phone number to all our unhappy patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HA! Wonder how that would play out! I am also a little perturbed at Safilo. Knowing that alot of accounts are getting stuck with useless warrantys wouldn't you think they would be a little more helpful withthe transition of things? This kinda thing just irks me!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jana:

Frames don't have fronts, they have a chasis.

Chip (Very old optician)

Ask for a chasis at any manufacturer in the U.S. and they will ask you "Whats that?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry
    Dont have it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson said:
    Jana:

Frames don't have fronts, they have a chasis.

Chip (Very old optician)

Ask for a chasis at any manufacturer in the U.S. and they will ask you "Whats that?"
    Let's review this some, because you are abviously more intelligent than me. As I remember the chasis was the description of the base of the "frame front" for any top rim attachment that included hinge areas and other ornamentation.

Come on Chip, give us a little more information here.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The chassis is the front of the frame that holds henges, nose pads, ornamentation, and the lenses. It is the correct term for the "frame front" unfortunately the term is disappearing. Soon if the trend continues the term "legs" will be correct for temples also.

If we are in this business, lets learn what it's about.

Chip

I am not more intelligent, just older.

Bad address email on file
    I don't know anything about "legs" but I have had patients ask for new "arms" ;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw:

Precisely, we are supposed to know the correct terminology, although patient/customers are supposed to be ignorant of our profession.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee Chip....sorry for the wrong "lingo". Just lookin' for a frame that's all.......thank you for the lesson in optical vocabulary.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, in the 2nd edition of the System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, one of the most commonly used texts in our particular industry, a chassis is used in the description of combination frames.

"Combination frames are commonly frames having a metal chassis and plastic top rims and temples. The chassis includes the eyewire and center or bridge section. Although this is the most common construction, any frame with a combination of metal and plastic could be included in this category, as in the case of a frame with plastic eyewires and metal bridge and temples."

I'm not old either, but I do remember assembling a combination frame or two in my lifetime and the paper sleeves that contained these parts were labeled "chassis" in addition to other paper sleeves labeled toprims, temples and fronts. Nothing came assembled.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink I don't think Dianne should give up that easily.......

A chassis refers to the eyewire and bridge assembly on a "combination frame". I clearly remember having the chassis packaged separately and labeled as such when I used to assemble .......are you all ready for this......Sirmonts, Ronsirs, Art Rim Leading ladies in both zyl and aluminium and finally B-51's and 31's. The tops were packaged separately and also labeled as such, as were the temples.

I tried my best to find evidence to back me up but its kind of difficult to find that kind of frame nowadays......But I did happen to know of one combination frame still in production. Art Craft still makes the " Clubman". If any of you care to, you may see it pictured at the top right hand corner of the last inside page of their Sept 2003 Catalog. On the bottom of the first page of their price list you will find the frame available, unassembled. You will also note that the chassis, tops (containing the hinges) and the temples, are available separately.

In that regard Dianne is correct. Chip, on the other hand has extensive knowledge aquired in a career almost as long as mine:D and he had a special mentor. I seem to recall that he was a "student " of Russ Stimson.......( for those of you who do not recognize the name, Russ not only wrote the book but bound it as well, and one of the true genius's that this industry has produced.) If Chip says the proper terminology for a frame front is chassis, that's good enough for me, and I will count this day as a sucess because I have learned something new!

Best to all participants who are trying to assist Jana!

hj

Thread Information