Thread: Statten Island Ferry

Bad address email on file

Statten Island Ferry

When I saw the Jurasic Park sequil where the ship came into port under full power I assumed a thing like that can't really happen.
    Anyone buy the blood pressure medication story?
    Could you really kill yourself with a pellet gun?
    What do you think is the "rest of the story"?

shutterbug

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ferry Accident

Shutterbug,

As I read the story, the "pilot" and or Capitan also slit both his wrists and is in critical condition at this point. There is a lot more to the story I think that will come out later.
    I feel so sorry for the victims of this horrible accident.

Robert
    ;)
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard on Fox News this evening that the Captain already had a lawyer and the lawyer wasn't making his client available to the NTSB.

That sounds fishy!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wasn't that movie.....

Cindy
    Wasn't the movie you were talking about called Speed 2? I think this accident would have been less damaging IF the boat had hit the pier head on. Much of the damage to life and limbs was done by the tearing action of the hit sideways. The story that I've heard is that the capt forgot to take his blood pressure medicine and blacked out.

While it is not the law that you have to have 2 Captains aboard, it is the Port Authority's Policy to have 2 onboard. I wonder what the other one was doing? With the wind gusting to 45kts here (Cape Cod)and probably in NY as well, you would have thought both would be in the wheelhouse. go figure!
    hj

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    As I was watching the news I heard that a member of the crew in the cabin told the NTSB that. They said he had a lawyer and was suicidal and his lawyer said he "wasn't available for questioning".

I also heard that there were supposed to be 2 and that there wasn't. You would think someone in that compartment would have had the wherewithall to pull back on the throttle. Or turn the engine off (if it is that easy). They said the boat didn't slow at all so when exactly did he pass out and for how long??

If it was the blood pressure medication and he blacked out, I really feel genuinely sorry for the man. I felt sorry, too, for the navy sub captain that surfaced his sub under the Japanese fishing boat. We all make mistakes and accidents happen and when they are genuine I feel bad a life has to be ruined over it.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information