Thread: Need advice...

Bad address email on file

Need advice...

Hey guys... I need some advice and figured this would be the place to ask! I went to see my optometrist last week. His internal examination of my eyes revealed some kind of irregularity with my optic nerves (atrophy?). He guesses that this could be indicative of a pituitary tumor and advised me to see my GP.

I'm currently scheduled for an MRI, but I'm curious to know... If my pituitary is enlarged or has a lesion and is pushing on my optic nerves, is the damage irreversible? Does this eliminate any chance of ever having my vision corrected with lasic surgery?

If this turns out to be nothing more than a scare, I'd like some tips on how I can save my vision because I'm only 16 and my prescription is getting substantially stronger every year. Is lasic surgery a good choice for the average person with vision problems? Is lasic surgery risky? If it is indeed risky, are there alternatives?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Nick - sorry to hear of your problem. Could you give us a bit more information regarding your prescription? Are you near sighted or far sighted? What is the prescription? How much has it changed in the past few years? Thanks.

shutterbug

I don't understand why you haven't asked your optometrist these questions.

If you thought of these questions after you left the office, it's OK to call the office afterward and tell the receptionist you have several important follow-up questions to ask the doctor regarding what he found. While it's unlikely that he will be able to come to the phone right then and there, he should call you back. You have good questions and you should be discussing them with him, who knows your case history.

paw said:
    I don't understand why you haven't asked your optometrist these questions.

If you thought of these questions after you left the office, it's OK to call the office afterward and tell the receptionist you have several important follow-up questions to ask the doctor regarding what he found. While it's unlikely that he will be able to come to the phone right then and there, he should call you back. You have good questions and you should be discussing them with him, who knows your case history.
    I hear ya, but I'm really not looking for the opinion of one person because I know that different people have different opinions about this stuff, and I'm sure that there are plenty of people who use this board that either are optometrists, work closely with optometrists, or have past experience that could be valuable to me.

As far as for my prescription, it was -4.25 O.S. and -4.5 O.D. a year ago, and eighteen months before that it was -3.5 O.S. and -3.75 O.D. Now it's -5.25 O.S. and -5.50 O.D. That's too drastic a change for my comfort. (I'm nearsighted, by the way. I think the +/- refers to that, but I want to cover my bases here.)

Thanks for your responses.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    N!ck, at 16, your rx change doesn't seem particularly out of the normal changes we see in pts with progressive myopia. considering that the OD did find some irregularity in the retina area, relative to the optic nerve, and you've seen your GP, and have an MRI scheduled, seems like your headed in the right direction; I don't see the connection between the two problems, nor how lasik will solve either one, at least until the myopia stabilizes, which won't be too soon, might talk with your od about contact lenses? ortho-k works sometimes in your age group. hope the MRI comes out well, and our best wishes are with you...

Post Advisable to get prognosis from your GP

Nick,
    I would advise you to get your MRI first done and establish the cause of your condition. Get the prognosis from your GP/MD. I am not in favor of eye care professional on forums to advise without actually seen inside your eyes, your medical history and different tests findings.
    For lasik information I am directing you to some good sites:
    http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/lasik
    http://www.allaboutlasik.com
    http://www.bellevue-lasik.com/lasik-...ernatives.html
    Please keep us posted, I wish you well.
    Regards,
    Optom

Thanks for the links and advice. I'll let you all know what happens with the MRI.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optom is correct. The best person to advise you is a Doctor who actually sees you in person. Many folks wouldn't be comfortable taking the word of one person; don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another qualified professional.

While OptiBoarders are extremely talented individuals, they really can't give you medical advice over the internet.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi N!ck,

I agree with Optom and Jo.

However, I would be especially considerate of Texas Ranger (Al's) note about progressive myopia.

Your myopia must be stable before considering LASIK. And, if your refractive error follows normal trends, you will continue to increase in myopia into your early adult years.

Good news: There are more options for you today (in contact lens refractive therapy, high tech lens and frame options) so you can be stylish and hip while correcting your myopia.

: )

Laurie

OptiWizard
    Nick,
    Did you optometrist do a visual field test("peripheral vision") test. A pituitary tumor can have some very characteristic patterns on this test and can be helpful in a diagnosis. although an MRI will be more definitive. The optic nerves cross inside your head and the pituitary gland sits right below it. if it enlarges it will compress the optic nerve. typically the superior temporal (up and out) portion of the peripheral vision in each eye is effected first.

It could also be that you have obliquely inserted optic nerves that give the appearance of an elevated optic nerve which I see often in high myopes. We will hope that is what it is.

Bottom line, Talk to your doc, get the MRI.

Thread Information