Thread: Another word for "frame"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can any of you guys help me in coming up with another word for a "frame". I would like to refer to it in a more technical, pleasing term. I don't want the patient to think they are just picking out a "frame". I have considered the use of "eyewear" and some others. What term do you use?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are you looking for something scientific sounding or accessory sounding?

The only thing that would be different that I can think of as far as accessories would be a "setting" for your lenses, like a ring setting.

I usually use eyewear if I don't say frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Face furniture :) Seriously, I don't think that there's anything particularly accessible. If you go down the 'optical appliance' route, you're going to run the risk of making the frame/eyewear/thing-that-holds-the-lenses-on-their-head sound unattractive. Also, you're going to blind them with science (pun intended, I'm afraid) when they choose lenses. Be boring, and call it a frame. If you want to sound technical, you can always call your PD ruler an 'Instrument of opthalmic assessment, pertaining to the distance between two given subjects' :D

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

How 'bout "ophthalmic lens mounted facial ornamentation"?
    If that down't work, just go with "doo-hickee" or "whatchamacalit".

Blake

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I often refer to the frame as a"style". I will use the phrase, "how about this "style" or what type of "style" are you interested in". I also refer to frames as jewelry for the face.
    The terminology that bothers me the most, coming from the old school, is when the reps come and offer to show the new "product". Or how are you doing with the new "product". Or how many "pieces" would you like to order? What happened to calling them frames?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I do like the term "piece". Such as this is a piece from the new Matsuda collection. I think of ophthalmic frames as a form of jewelry and, as jewelry is often presented as a piece, we can easily link eyewear in the same way. Words do set a mood and I think your post shows that you are thinking creatively about the business. This is a good thing.

Bill

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I agree Bill! Frames create an "image" and an "attitude" and so do the words we use to describe them. The word "frame" is a term that describes what the product does to the lenses, not to the face of the person wearing it. That's why we say "mounting" when the lenses are mounted and not "framed" by the eyewire.

Patients are confused by the most simple optical terminolgy and I try to avoid using any technical language if possible! Lots of people say "I'd like to look at your lenses" meaning frames. So, over the years, I've practiced using plain language to lead people into making good decisions. (That goes for lenses too, but that's another thread!)

I think what people really care about is how they feel about themselves in their new eyewear. (Seeing well is an expected given!) Even the most quiet, seemingly uninterested person identifys with their own face. So I prefer statements like "Let's find something that will update your look", "Try out a new image", "You look spectaular in that design!". Some frames are a work of art. "Want to catch some attention? Try this on!" Like to be more conservative? "Here' a classic look that will always be in style." Talking to a jock? "Let's pick out some new eye-sports equipment!"

Some might call it sales, I prefer to think of it as Self Esteem management. Occasionally, I run into someone who wants to talk technical. I of course will indulge them, often slipping into medical jargon, optical acronyms and virtual focal lengths. They soon revert to glancing in the mirror and checking their WOW power with their new "frames". Hey, I'm not judging...I do the same thing!

cj

Thread Information