Thread: Tank water or Direct Water! What's the best?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up Tank water or Direct Water! What's the best?

I am trying to decide what to do. Do I keep my tank water, that I change weekly, for my Essilor 900mx patternless or do I install direct water? What are ya'lls thoughts? Let me know!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in the process of installing direct for our kappa system. IMHO, too much maintenance with the tank, also can be quite messy to clean.

Bob V.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Direct water is best but remember that you can have a lot of temperature variations with this which may or may not effect your machines.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Direct water will make things a lot cleaner and be much easier on your machinery, which makes life a little easier. BUT you might want to do a little homework to see what happens if EPA (environmental protection agency) or local waste treatment officials determine your shop to be a point contamination source.

In some areas it is Illegal to drain your machines without running it through a reclaim system which could also be fairly expensive. It only takes a disgruntled employee, someone working in your building, or even a customer to notify the authorities. Therefore, you should consider the cost vs. benefit factor.

I'm not a tree hugger but enjoy the pristine outdoors. Lakes, rivers, and streams sedimented with plastic is not the place where I would be finding many fish when I retire in another 20 years.

Optic waste
    no
    <><ing

Kevin.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forgot to add that the plumber installed a waste collection system similar to a restaurant grease pit for only $995.00. I'm just glad I don't own the practice, but thinking I should have gone into plumbing.

Bob V.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I forgot to add that the plumber installed a waste collection system similar to a restaurant grease pit for only $995.00. I'm just glad I don't own the practice, but thinking I should have gone into plumbing.
    This is a running joke at the lab. When we get a little slow we are going back to school to be plumbers!
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Bad address email on file
    You're going to have issues with water. You did not mention how much poly you are cutting, but it does not "flow" well and will plug your drain to the filter system unless it is straight down. The filter system uses pumps and if the poly waste gets into them it will make a mess. You'll be prefiltering to avoid that issue, but it can still happen. Then you'll be required to dispose of the waste in a special way, clean the tanks and filters. It's going to be 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. It's a mess either way ;)

shutterbug

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sh... My direct water pipe just broke!

Make shure you have a cut off valve!
    We are swiming!

Thread Information