Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the first Optiboarder you met in person??

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who was the first Optiboarder you met in person??

I was remarking to Pete recently that we have become a family of sorts. It got me to thinking about all the folks I've met through Optiboard. I thought back to the first Optiboarder I met in the flesh. I had made a post wanting to know if any optiboarders were going to the OAA meeting in Anaheim. The first repsonse to the post turned out to be the first "boarder" I met.

We had arranged to meet near the reception area of the hotel as close to noon as possible. Neither one of us knew what the other looked like so for a while it was like Russian Roulette.I began to think it was not such a great idea and was getting somewhat anxious.I didn't want to look like the limo driver whose passenger hasn't shown up at the airport so I forwent making up a sign.

When I had just about given up she was standing in front of me. "Harry?" she asked. "Suzy?" I replied. (She had more to go on than I did. I had told her to look for a short, balding....and on the portly side of svelte guy)

Thats how I met Suzy W. She had brought her friend Karen with her. We then proceeded to the jungle resturant at Disneyland where we enjoyed a somewhat damp but very enjoyable lunch. A delightful experience to say the least.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Other than Bev Heishman whom I've already known as a fine member of our state opticians association and lecturer, I first met Steve Machol at last years Vision Expo East in the Live Eyewear booth. I believe there are pictures somewhere in the archives of all others who also had the first opportunity to put a face with the names.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What surprised you the most

Kevin,

What surprised you the most about anyone you met, or were they just about as you expected them to be?
    hj

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I knew several of the people prior to there being an Optiboard. You have to remember... I'm older than dirt. People like Steve, Darryl, and Jim G. Several others, but they post infrequently.

In keeping with the spirit of the topic though, I met HC and SuzyW at Anaheim. Many more at the first Optiboard get-together.
    J. R. Smith

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first OptiBoarders I met in person were LO1007 and Dot the Eye. I didn't realize that two of our lab reps were members until they stopped into our office said that they were OptiBoarders too. That was a really nice surprise; I got to meet two OptiBoarders in person and found out they were local.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

It was the Guru himself I believe

I knew many of the Optiboarders before I joined but the first new face I met I believe was HIMSELF. I could be mistaken on my timeline though and it might have been Laurie Pierce. Whichever way, now there have been many and each has been so rewarding!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My first Optiboarder face to face was with Diane, who I met at a TN Dispensing Opticians' conference (TDOA). If you haven't had the pleasure of Ms. Drake's classes, you should definitely set this goal!

My second Optiboarder was Stephanie! I talked her into coming to another conference and I got to meet her and her husband.
    I already knew several other Optiboarders, but as they never post, they may prefer to remain anonymous! They are dear friends, none the less.

Even tho' I havent really met many of you, I consider you friends as well, and I love to hear about your triumphs, and I grieve over your tragedies.
    I feel we are a true community, and I support this community in any way I can, whenever I can.
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I already knew many of the Optiboarders, but I believe the first people I met were Pete Hanlin and Darris. One Optiboarder who used to post regularly, I knew from years ago was Bob Rihl from good old Augusta, GA. I haven't seen him in a lot of years. Probably the boarder that I've know the longest is Harry Saake. Harry was the "first" person to call me way back when to congratulate me for getting my Optician's license in Georgia. Funny, how it was right after I went home for lunch just to check the mail. When I got back to the office, Harry called.

It's been a pleasure to meet all of the others. I DO believe that Optiboarders are good folks. I also believe that we do feel the pride for their accomplishments as well as pain of their tragedies. That makes family.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What surprised you the most about anyone you met, or were they just about as you expected them to be?
    I cannot even recall the first OptiBoarder I met, but the most surprising had to be Darryl Meister. During an Expo East many years ago, I headed to the Sola booth and asked for Darryl. Given the optical expertise he displays in his posts, I was expecting this wisened elderly gentleman... So, when this kid of about 12 introduced himself, it was quite a shock (okay, a little exaggeration- he looked to be about 18 at the time).

Darris Chambless was also an interesting "first encounter." Of course, meeting anyone for the first time in New Orleans is bound to be, um, interesting. Think "Charlie Sheen meets Dennis Quaid" and you about have Darris.

Ms. Drake is easily the most "Southern Belle-ish" OptiBoarder I've met (for some reason, I think of Susan Sarandon).

Harry would have to get the "most believeable as my long lost Uncle" nod.

Finally, Steve would get the "You know, I really can imagine him with an afro" award.

Anymore, it is amazing how many OptiBoarders "come out of the woodwork" when I speak around the country. Whether it is "karen" (Jamie Lee Curtis) in California, or Susan Henault's husband in Pittsburgh, it seems we're everywhere!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The first true, out of the blue Optiboard member I met was Harry Saake. He introduced himself at VEE a few years ago. Not even an hour later HC came by.
    I met Steve and Darryl years ago from different work projects between Transitions and SOLA. I dont think they should count in this poll.
    This past VEW I met Oblique at the Shamir booth OB meeting...but already knew him by his real name...never knew he was an Optiboarder. That was great, Optiboarders around us who knew him but did not know he was Oblique all had a good laugh. You never know who is on that other keyboard.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The first guy I met was ??????????

You Harry!

I had read posts for about 6 months when we met! And you told me to register! MikeF was born 3 hours later!:cheers:

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I had been corresponding with Judy Canty...

on some OAA related subjects for some time. When you do that , you can't help but draw your own mental picture of the other person, based on the things they write or the importance they place on some issues. When we met at last, I was pleasantly surprised to find someone who measured up exactly to what I had imagined. A straight shooter who calls them as she sees them!

I also met Diane at the same meeting and if I were to define southern hospitality in an individual, she would be it. If I were recasting Gone With the Wind I wouldn't have far to look to find Scarlet O'Hara.

Spawning Mikef's registration was another hightlight I should mention. He can mix it up with the best of us!:D

hj

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only Optiboarder I have met out of the KC area has been Darris. Came into town during a family vacation.

I was impressed with his physique...this guy works out and is buffed. Also, personality wise, he is as gentle as a pussycat.

Bob V.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had known of and seen Judy Canty before I knew of the Optiboard. The first OPtiboarder I met outside the board was JackieL. I was surprised that she was the ball of fire. I was also overwhelmed by her warmth and openness.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Thanks for the plug Bob

The first optiboarder I met in person was Jim Seabach. Big, burly, bear of a man. Very involved with Opticianry as a profession and dedicated.

The second was Pete who is a "small to medium" guy according to a sport fitness person on Bourbon Street, which had to do with bone structure measured at the...(drum roll please)...wrist! :) Pete's a great guy, smart and has a lot going for him but needs to be more extroverted (IMO) ;) At the same time I met Pete I also met Judy, Diane, Warren, and several obnoxious people :) Judy is a doll (and my favorite regardless of whether we agree or disagree), Diane is a wonderful speaker and teacher and Warren was very congenial as well as a sharp dresser. The obnoxious people? Well, they were just obnoxious and there were quite a few at that convention I must say.

Then there was BobV (Mr. Vartanian for those who don't know his real name) Bob seems like the kind of guy that can get along with just about anyone (Hell, he gats along with me that should say something right there) Bob knows his stuff about optical too. I will be honest and say that he looks more like a college Professor than an Optician though (Yup. That's a compliment :)

Take care to all and I hope to meet many more in the future.

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Since I'd met Laurie Pierce, Judy Canty, Bev Heishman, and had known Jim Seebach, and Diane Drake for many years, I guess the first "new face" I met was at VEW in 2000, at the arranged meeting, was Steve Machol...and he is every bit the fine gentleman he presents between the lines here...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Probably Judy Canty before there was an Optiboard. I think we worked together for a month in 1974 before she left New City. Then Steve in 1986.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk about 6 degrees of separation! Jerry and I have been catching up via private messages for the last few minutes. Of course he knew me when I was young and thin and drove a convertible ('63 Triumph TR4). I still drive a convertible. I've talked with Steve on the phone, but he was at ASU after I was. Warren McDonald played in the band (Bill Deal and the Rhondells) that played for my senior high prom. This is TOO much fun!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

As Diane stated, she is the boarder that i have known the longest, since 1976, forgot about that phone call, next time i see you i,ll tell you how i knew that.
    .....In recent years, as i,ve been round this business 40 years, the first boarder that i met, that i did not know previous was the beautiful , charming Laurie Pierce. Since then i think i have met everyone at one show or another that has attended.
    .....I have been lucky to know such a variety of people, believe me theres nothing like hanging out with Roger Hill and Phernell Walker among a host of others.
    ....There is three i would like to meet, and that would be Darris, Darryl and David Wilson.

Rising Star
    I knew Steve many years before Optiboard when he worked here in Phoenix before Sola.:cheers:
    Wes Trayner

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And thank you, Darris...

Here's hoping to meet many of you at the next VEW. Ive made up my mind to attend next year. Since I have started a new position the latter part of August, VEW comes in at the right time for a vacation.

Bob V.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ok Miss Jenny P!! I was just about to post who I met first from Optiboard and you beat me!! LOL!! Well you and Diane kinda at the same time. Same bat time same bat channel!! I also met my current co-worker that day. Yes good day all the way around!!

Steph

Bad address email on file

Smilie Diane!

Have meet couple of optical course instructors, past OAA executives,and Diane(at NAO AGM) who has become my especial friend.
    Regards,
    Optom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    This may not sound right, but you;re my first too. Of course we met a long time ago - before I became a member.

I havent met any new members as yet, but it's only been a week or two.

Is there any way to look at the list of members sorted by State ???? That would be helpful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't think so....but....

you can see the breakdown by countries in the Optiboard Statistics forum. I am pretty sure we have no way of breaking it down by state at this time. maybe in the future.

If you want to see the countries represented on Optiboard, go here:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/vbst...action=country

hj

Thread Information