Thread: Where Are Those Associations ?????????????

Bad address email on file Michael Disanto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Where Are Those Associations ?????????????

I was just wondering why with 5 speakers on the board and 1392 looks --- only 2 responses have been forthcoming. That is a success rate of 0.1436%.

What is even more puzzling is the fact that some of the speakers have sponsorship and come to the association for free.

The last time I looked a blind squirrel finds a nut with a success rate of 2.5%. Should we change our focus from finding meetings to looking for acorns.

Just a thought.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm confused....
    What are you asking for?

hip chic

Bad address email on file Michael Disanto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What Am I Looking For ?

I am either looking for work or a blind squirrel to team up with. I speak for a living and I'm trying to fill my calendar. An acorn or 2 may tide me over.

Hi Mike!

Have you ever contacted Wal-Mart? Every new store has a vision center and every new Sam's Club does too. I managed for them a while back and although they sent contact reps frequently and every once and a while a lens rep to teach you how to sell their lenses we didn't get too many speakers. I've seen your presentations before and no one refreshes and provokes renewed interest in the details of our profession like you. Wal-Mart is hungry to corner this market and wants to provide their opticians with quality material. A global company like that could put quite a few acorns in your path with the right presentation.

Jonathan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you Mike. I've been looking for a few acorns myself, these days.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Perhaps thats our fault.......

I'm off today but when I get to it, I'll look at how the page is worded. Please give me a day or two to see what can be done.

hj

PS. back after a quick look-see. It seems pretty straight forward. What would you suggest in order to either make it more visible, or draw some attention to it.

I noticed that Steve doesn't want chit chat but I think it would be allowable to post where and when you are going to be speaking. For example on April 26th, Massachusetts is going to be graced by a wonderful southern Belle by the name of Diane Drake. Its my feeling that she should post that, not only in the speakers bureau, but in the calendar.

Its been my experience that people tend to go where there's some action. I just saw Liz Martinez go up a day or so ago.Coincidently, I invested 15 bucks and took her CE course offered by NAO. I would like to post something about it but the no-chit chat thing is keeping me away.

I'm going to try starting a coming events thread and see what happens. You'll have to post your own information. and it would also be helpful if you would delete your own posts after the talk or course has been given.

I'm going to do that then go out and play in the rain......why does this always happen on my day off?

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So much for being a Super Moderator!

Sorry folks............I can't access the page to start a new thread. Lets find out if Steve thinks this is a good idea first! I'll email him a copy of the thread.

best harry
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Perhaps thats our fault.......

hcjilson said:

I noticed that Steve doesn't want chit chat but I think it would be allowable to post where and when you are going to be speaking. For example on April 26th, Massachusetts is going to be graced by a wonderful southern Belle by the name of Diane Drake. Its my feeling that she should post that, not only in the speakers bureau, but in the calendar.

I'm going to do that then go out and play in the rain......why does this always happen on my day off?

hj
    Harry,

Any chance you will be at that meeting next week? If so, I'll buy you some coffee or something after my courses. I also want to listen to Ray Dennis' course on "The Athlete's Eye". My flight isn't out til about 6:00 from Providence.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its up in the air now........

Forgive me Diane but a lot will depend on the weather. Marlboro or as "they" prefer it,Marlborough is a little over 2 hours away.Your course starts at 8 if memory serves. I will be up early enough to either hit the road or the golf course!

Like I said.....Forgive me! If your husband is a golfer I'm sure you understand. If I come down with anything that will disable my ability to swing a club, I will be there by 7:30 AM for coffee with you.

harry
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Last Post rethought!

I can golf anytime. I can only see Diane once in a while....forgive me fellow golfers.......but I'll be in Marlborough next Sunday , God will'in and the creek don't rise! Look for me about 7:15.

hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PS to all speakers......

While I didn't get an OK for chit chat, Steve did say that it was a good idea to post when and where you are speaking in the Calendar.Its very simple to post to the calandar.
    Click on Calendar
    Click on Public Event
    Post Date and time and place.
    Hope this helps

If you let me know when you post, I'll find a way to give you a plug in General Conversation. Thats the best I can do for now.

hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Last Post rethought!

hcjilson said:
    I can golf anytime. I can only see Diane once in a while....forgive me fellow golfers.......but I'll be in Marlborough next Sunday , God will'in and the creek don't rise! Look for me about 7:15.

hj
    I'm honored...

Having a hubby who golfs, this is a lot. Many years ago, 33, actually, I went into premature labor with my son, and my husband was supposed to play golf. It was the first day of spring, and absolutely beautiful, with all the dogwoods blooming and the azaleas in full bloom, and he asked if I thought it may take a while... He WAS with me. Actually, he's a good man.

By the way, is Marlborough the same as Westborough? The meeting is at the Westborough Wyndham... 5400 Computer Drive (Jct 495 & 9 West).

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Freudian slip......

I used to work at Cunningham lens and thats just one exit up.....Westborough is just before Marlboro on Rt 9. I'll be there! I knew where it was in my mind!

hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just out of curiosity........

I went to the calendar today to see if anyone had posted anything. I came up empty. Here's what I would like to propose to all speakers.

When you get an event, post it in the calendar....along with the date, time, location, and title of the course. When you do that, email me and I'll find a way to highlight the event in general conversation. If you get the word out in a busy forum it will attract more attention. The more attention you get the more bites you're bound to get. On Cape Cod we call that "chum'in"....ie tossing out a little "free"bait along with the bait that carries the hook. What you may have to do is get these fish into a feeding mood!:D

Let me know if theres anything else you think of that we can do!

hj
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike ,you may remember when you were the Bell Optical Rep for my father's office .I'm glad you have become an apprentice Optiboarder ,as have I, after 36 years being an Optician.I missed your original post, but if you are asking for more response from past and present state and national representatives of Opticians, YOU HAVE A POINT! For those of you who don't know, Mike is past President of the Opticians Association of Ohio and is a nationly known speaker for continuing ed. I always enjoy your seminars and always learn from them .Hope to continue to hear from you .
    Bob Taylor

Thread Information