Thread: What makes a safety frame safe?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

What makes a safety frame safe?

More specifically what standards does the frame have to go through. I'm trying to get a officially say on whether or not Oakley's can be legally be called safety glasses ( a la Monster Garage). From Oakley's documentation they pass tests 1-8 of Ansi z87.1, but is that good enough. Remeber I'm in Canada so the rules may be different.

As a side note, if anyone is aware of a wrap safety frame please let me know.

Jedi
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: What makes a safety frame safe?

Jedi said:
    Remeber I'm in Canada so the rules may be different.

Jedi
    There are no official rules in Canada, just accepted US standards.

Bad address email on file gpw_ww's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

SAFETY FRAMES

Check with Onguard Safety in Canada. Seems to me they had some sort of wrap frame.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've got nearly a case (about 20+ pair) of Uvex 3000 Z87 safety frames w/ polycarb replacable lenses. Also 2x as many replacement lenses in clear, sun, and mirror. They are sporty looking and provide good protection.

These are frames I had on consignment at an industrial account before the company closed down. They are still in original boxes and packaging.

I'd like to sell everything together if possible and will also post these on optiboard marketplace if anyone else is interested.

Shoot me a private e mail opticare@epix.net if your interested.

Kevin

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing makes a safety frame safe, many style frames are much better made than some safety frames but having Z-78 stamped on the frame covers your behind from lawyers which is appearently all we are concerned with in todays world.

Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    From what I understand about the safety applications of Oakleys is that even though the lenses are poly the fact that they are removeable(in the m series) is the issue.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thank for the responses so far, but i'm still looking for specific standards a frame has to pass ( plus lenses ) in order to be safety certified. I checked with our provincial Optometric Assoc. and they faxed me a copy of the CSA standards, but I find it hard to believe that they will "certify" a pair that get stamped out of a machine and cost $10 and not allow a frame such as an Oakley Straight jacket with rx lenses to be used on a job sight. I've seen a number of On-guard frames "fail", under normal use, that doesn't seem too safe.

Sidebar: When I worked for a unnamed chain, the powers that be felt the lab techs should wear "safety" glasses to protect against flying lenses from the edgers (don't ask). The next Monday all the lab staff had nice new rimless frames. Go figure.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I believe one aspect of a safety frame is that it is designed to not allow a lens to push in from the front, as from an impact.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile safety frames

steve, your right, here in the USA anyway, safety frames are buttressed in the back, the idea being that a front impact will not allow the lens to pop out through the back.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other features: Those to be used to provide saftey to those in environments with electrical danger cannot be capable of conducting electricity. Those used in environments with bacterological and corrosive fumes cannot allow same to pass around them (I think, not sure about this but I read it somewhere.) Example: Hospital and dental safety glasses cannot allow blood splash. Chemical worker safety glasses must be capable of preventing corrosive fumes from passing around them. Some applications must be "safe" against side impact.

Lenses must be impact resistant and if glass must be 3.3 thick at the thinnest point and tempered or case hardened.

Probably some transmission regulations those in high infra-red and high UV invironments.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Standards .................................

Here I found something:

Prescription Safety Glasses

All prescription safety glasses acquired must meet industrial safety standards (CSA Z94.3 , ANSI Z87 & W.C.B. of B.C. Industrial Health & Safety Regulation (14.21).

TRIUMF is a participant of the Occupational Vision Plan (OVP) which is sponsored by the British Columbia Association of Optometrists (BCAO). Under the OVP the TRIUMF employee is issued safety prescription glasses guaranteed to meet the safety standards mentioned. To acquire these glasses the TRIUMF employee must present a signed authorization form to an ``OVP Participant''. This form can be obtained from the Industrial Safety Officer who will authorize it, explain the instructions on the form's back and give you a list of all the ``OVP Participants'' in the British Columbia Lower Mainland. The TRIUMF employee can present his/her last eye prescription to the ``OVP Participant'' as long as it is less than two years old .

It is recommended that the TRIUMF employee acquire his/her safety glasses as close to his/her last eye examination as possible. New prescription glasses may be acquired at no charge to the TRIUMF employee if the safety glasses are damaged on the job or prescription changes.

And here is the real punch on the new ANSI Standard copied out of the Titmus site

1. I've heard that there's going to be a new ANSI Z87 standard. Is this true?

The new standard is approved and went into effect on August 19, 2003. The new ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard is significantly different from the 1989 standard. The frame, lenses, and sideshields all must meet new criteria to be marked to the new standard. Contact Titmus for more information.

2. Will all Titmus frames now show the Z87.2?
    Effective 19 August 2003, all safety frames manufactured must be marked with Z87-2 if they meet the ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard. Please note that the marking is not Z87.2. The "2" indicates that the frame was tested with 2.0mm polycarbonate lenses and that it passed the testing.

Also note that Titmus supplies a Certificate of Compliance which indicates all styles that meet the standard, even though they may not currently be marked Z87-2. The marking could not be used until the standard was approved.

3. I see where you say "No Grandfather Clause". Does this mean that 3.0 polys will not be grandfathered in as being as effective as the High Impact lenses?
    Though 3.0 polycarbonate lenses should, indeed, be capable of meeting the standard; please note that the 2003 standard now requires that any lens used for High Impact must now be tested with the High Velocity Impact Test. Also, the lenses must be tested with the coatings that will be utilized applied to the lenses. This is because a coating, such as Anti-Reflective, could possibly cause the lens to be brittle. To be marked with a "+" indicating the lenses are approved for High Impact, they must be tested to High Velocity, with the coatings applied, whether they are 2.0mm or 3.0mm thick.

4. The standard states ANSI Z87.1-2003. Then you refer to Z87-2. Which is it?

"ANSI Z87.1-2003" is the name of the standard. The standard then states the marking methods for the frames and the lenses. Please note that the marking for the frames is Z87-2, indicating it passed testing with 2.0mm polycarbonate lenses, (not Z87.2) and the marking for the lenses is a "+" mark after the manufacturer's logo.

5. Does the standard explain how a manufacturing plant is supposed to decide which jobs require High Impact lenses? Is there a guideline to follow?
    The standard does not explain the responsibility of the employer. The standard separates the performance level of the lenses as Basic Impact or High Impact. It is the responsibility of the employer to perform an assessment of the facility and determine the protection required. Note that for some jobs, a face shield or cover goggles may be required OVER the safety glasses with sideshields. If there are any questions, refer your customer to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.132 (for PPE) and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.133 for Eye and Face Protection.

6. So... High Impact lenses in poly are thinner, but according to ANSI, they are the lens of choice over 3.0 poly (Basic Impact)? That sounds bizarre to me. How does one explain this to their customers?
    See Question #3 for an explanation of the lens testing requirements. The issue is not 2.0 vs. 3.0 as much as it is the ability of the lens to pass the test, which is a true performance requirement. The reason 2.0mm thick polycarbonate lenses will be allowed is because they can pass the High Velocity Impact Test. The minimum is 2.0mm - not the maximum. They cannot be any thinner than 2.0mm because the material, though impact absorptive, is pliable and could flex and pass through the testing device or the frame if they are thinner.

7. I have a lot of employees who wear prescription glasses. Some of them complain that the safety glasses I give them to wear over their regular glasses are uncomfortable. What should I do to get them to wear their safety glasses?

This is a question we are often asked. Because OSHA mandates that safety glasses are to be worn if there is danger of an eye injury, it is up to the employer to ensure the employees are wearing their safety glasses. If an employee must wear a prescription, the best way to make sure the glasses will be worn is to provide PRESCRIPTION SAFETY GLASSES. You may think this would cost you more, but actually the cost of implementing a prescription safety program is comparable to a program that provides only planos.

The new standard is approved and went into effect on August 19, 2003. The new ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard is significantly different from the 1989 standard. The frame, lenses, and sideshields all must meet new criteria to be marked to the new standard. Contact Titmus for more information.

Effective 19 August 2003, all safety frames manufactured must be marked with Z87-2 if they meet the ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard. Please note that the marking is not Z87.2. The "2" indicates that the frame was tested with 2.0mm polycarbonate lenses and that it passed the testing.

Also note that Titmus supplies a Certificate of Compliance which indicates all styles that meet the standard, even though they may not currently be marked Z87-2. The marking could not be used until the standard was approved.

3. I see where you say "No Grandfather Clause". Does this mean that 3.0 polys will not be grandfathered in as being as effective as the High Impact lenses?
    Though 3.0 polycarbonate lenses should, indeed, be capable of meeting the standard; please note that the 2003 standard now requires that any lens used for High Impact must now be tested with the High Velocity Impact Test. Also, the lenses must be tested with the coatings that will be utilized applied to the lenses. This is because a coating, such as Anti-Reflective, could possibly cause the lens to be brittle. To be marked with a "+" indicating the lenses are approved for High Impact, they must be tested to High Velocity, with the coatings applied, whether they are 2.0mm or 3.0mm thick.

"ANSI Z87.1-2003" is the name of the standard. The standard then states the marking methods for the frames and the lenses. Please note that the marking for the frames is Z87-2, indicating it passed testing with 2.0mm polycarbonate lenses, (not Z87.2) and the marking for the lenses is a "+" mark after the manufacturer's logo.

5. Does the standard explain how a manufacturing plant is supposed to decide which jobs require High Impact lenses? Is there a guideline to follow?
    The standard does not explain the responsibility of the employer. The standard separates the performance level of the lenses as Basic Impact or High Impact. It is the responsibility of the employer to perform an assessment of the facility and determine the protection required. Note that for some jobs, a face shield or cover goggles may be required OVER the safety glasses with sideshields. If there are any questions, refer your customer to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.132 (for PPE) and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.133 for Eye and Face Protection.

6. So... High Impact lenses in poly are thinner, but according to ANSI, they are the lens of choice over 3.0 poly (Basic Impact)? That sounds bizarre to me. How does one explain this to their customers?
    See Question #3 for an explanation of the lens testing requirements. The issue is not 2.0 vs. 3.0 as much as it is the ability of the lens to pass the test, which is a true performance requirement. The reason 2.0mm thick polycarbonate lenses will be allowed is because they can pass the High Velocity Impact Test. The minimum is 2.0mm - not the maximum. They cannot be any thinner than 2.0mm because the material, though impact absorptive, is pliable and could flex and pass through the testing device or the frame if they are thinner.

7. I have a lot of employees who wear prescription glasses. Some of them complain that the safety glasses I give them to wear over their regular glasses are uncomfortable. What should I do to get them to wear their safety glasses?

This is a question we are often asked. Because OSHA mandates that safety glasses are to be worn if there is danger of an eye injury, it is up to the employer to ensure the employees are wearing their safety glasses. If an employee must wear a prescription, the best way to make sure the glasses will be worn is to provide PRESCRIPTION SAFETY GLASSES. You may think this would cost you more, but actually the cost of implementing a prescription safety program is comparable to a program that provides only planos.

8. Do you have sideshields for dress frames?

No. A dress frame does not become a safety frame just by putting sideshields on it. The frame will not meet the OSHA requirements (29 CFR 1910.133 for Eye and Face Protection), which incorporates the ANSI Z87 standard by reference (29 CFR 1910.6). The person wearing the frame could suffer an eye injury.

Safety frames are tested to meet the ANSI Z87 standards for impact resistance. In addition, Titmus sideshields are designed, manufactured and tested for use on safety frames bearing the Titmus trademark ONLY. Consequently, it is important to understand that the liability for performance of these sideshields extends solely to Titmus frames specified for specific sideshields and to no others.

No. A dress frame does not become a safety frame just by putting sideshields on it. The frame will not meet the OSHA requirements (29 CFR 1910.133 for Eye and Face Protection), which incorporates the ANSI Z87 standard by reference (29 CFR 1910.6). The person wearing the frame could suffer an eye injury.

Safety frames are tested to meet the ANSI Z87 standards for impact resistance. In addition, Titmus sideshields are designed, manufactured and tested for use on safety frames bearing the Titmus trademark ONLY. Consequently, it is important to understand that the liability for performance of these sideshields extends solely to Titmus frames specified for specific sideshields and to no others.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-15-2003 at 02:26 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb sidesheilds

Let me add a few thoughts on side sheilds, one should never dispense a pair of side sheilds to anyone wanting to use them on a pair of dress eyewear frames, if you do, you are setting yourself up for a potential lawsuit
    .....One should also never dispense a pair of side sheilds that was not manufactured for that particular frame, even if it is an osha approved frame.
    .....Some of the major manufacturers, such as titmus, distribute a chart showing thier frames and the correct matching sidesheilds. problem is sometimes you will find several side sheilds from the same manufacturer that will fit several different frames,because the temples are apx the same width. If it calls for a cs72, thats what you do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: sidesheilds

harry a saake said:
    Let me add a few thoughts on side sheilds, one should never dispense a pair of side sheilds to anyone wanting to use them on a pair of dress eyewear frames, if you do, you are setting yourself up for a potential lawsuit
    .....One should also never dispense a pair of side sheilds that was not manufactured for that particular frame, even if it is an osha approved frame.
    .....Some of the major manufacturers, such as titmus, distribute a chart showing thier frames and the correct matching sidesheilds. problem is sometimes you will find several side sheilds from the same manufacturer that will fit several different frames,because the temples are apx the same width. If it calls for a cs72, thats what you do.
    Harry,

I agree...Can't mention the numbers of folks that wanted to "just buy side shields" for their dress eyewear. Problem, that's what they see the safety guys doing at their companies, not realizing that the eyewear "still" doesn't meet ANSI industrial safety standards.

Stick to the standards, and you at least stand a better chance, if you are hauled into court...

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Here are some specific requirements for impact resistance meeting Z87.2 standards:

Must be at least 2.0mm thick lenses (polycarbonate)
    Capable of resisting impact from a 0.25 steel ball traveling at 150 ft. per second (that's a little over 102 mph)

MUST be stamped with manufacturer trade mark (with a "+" if meeting the new standard)

Frames are also impact tested at the bridge, and must not allow lenses to pop out at impact on lens portion of frame.

Frames and lenses are mounted on a test headform and then struck with a 17.6 oz spear dropped from 50 inches. Lenses and frame must survive impact. Lenses are allowed 25% seperation from frame.

The old standard was impact resistance from a 7/8" steel ball dropped from 50 inches, on a 3.0 mm thick lens. All materials.
    I hope this helps a bit :0)

shutterbug
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-17-2003 at 12:39 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I told my territory director that my oakley mars i scripted were saftey rated. lol hell they were safety thickness. they believed me....
    they told me to get something more conventional.....
    no imagination...suits

Occupation
    7 1/2 years later....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

in USA if the frame isn't marked as safty product (z1

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    More specifically what standards does the frame have to go through. I'm trying to get a officially say on whether or not Oakley's can be legally be called safety glasses ( a la Monster Garage). From Oakley's documentation they pass tests 1-8 of Ansi z87.1, but is that good enough. Remeber I'm in Canada so the rules may be different.

As a side note, if anyone is aware of a wrap safety frame please let me know.

Jedi
    In the USA a frame is not to be consdered a safty frame no matter it's test results with out the trade mark of the company that makes it and the stamp of z187-2 clearly visable on the front of the frame and on each temple.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

get standards

ANSI Z87.1-2003 safety eyewear standard at the American National Standards Institute website.

Read more: http://www.allaboutvision.com/safety/safety-glasses.htm#ixzz1INDYInhQ

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by alaneyeball View Post
    ANSI Z87.1-2003 safety eyewear standard at the American National Standards Institute website.

A better idea would be to get the Z87.1-2010 standards, since they are the current standard.

http://webstore.ansi.org/FindStandards.aspx?SearchString=z87.1-2010&SearchOption=0&PageNum=0&SearchTermsArray=null%7cz87.1-2010%7cnull
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Side Shields:
    If the customer wants side shields on his dress glasses, I don't see a problem unless you indicate that this would make them OSHA approved safety glasses. If he just wants to keep the debris out when he uses his weed eater in a non commercial setting, let him.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

safety

Chip, the problem is as soon as you do that you become part of the chain, as you now have implied by selling them to him that this is safe, this is a lawyers dream.

the better solution is ALWAYS, send them out to an auto parts store and let them buy them there, besides what are you going to make on a pair of side sheilds, 5.00?

Thread Information