Thread: Wearing contact lenses

OptiBoard Novice

Wearing contact lenses

Hello.
    Can wearing contact lenses make you more dependent? My prescription is -1.50 and I just got my first pair of lenses. I don't wear glasses all the time but that's effectively what I'm doing when I wear contact lenses and someone suggested it will make me need them more or make my prescription get worse quicker,I'm not sure which. I'd really like to hear what the experts think about this. Thanks.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Helena:

Soft contacts may make your precription advance more rapidly.
    Rigid contacts may make your precription advance more slowly.
    Neither will make you more dependent, your brain just gets used to seeing clear images and has more trouble trying to decipher fuzzy ones when you are not wearing correction at least at distances over 12 feet with you precription.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Great Question,
    As with many subject there are always differing opinions. As Chip said, wearing the lenses won't make you more dependent on them but you will get use to seeing clearly all the time so when you don't where them you feel less comfortable with how you are seeing. If your myopia is progressing, and you are young, a rigid lens will help minimize this progression. Soft lenses won't have the same effect but I don't believe that they will cause your Rx to progress any faster than it already is doing. So don't be affraid to wear glasses or contacts. Be happy you can see with them. Some people can't.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks Stopper & Chip. I'm 34 and understand that I probaby won't get much worse. Nevertheless is it possible that next time I go for a test I'll feel that I need an increase and find that I don't, just that I've got used to being corrected more often?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, you just got used to seeing things more clearly and let your good sense overide your vanity. Wear the lenses, wear the glasses you will be able to see an precieve the world better.

I have known women much more nearsighted than you who didn't have a clue what thier classmates or even thier significant other looked like because they would not wear thier glasses around anyone outside of thier immeadiate household.

Chip

Thread Information