Thread: What have you done for Back to School?

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

What have you done for Back to School?

Just wondering what marketing you have been doing to promote "back to school" --

Karen

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe a month ago we got busy - we're booked about two weeks farther out than normal. So, I don't think I will be doing anything "back to school" right now. (The school systems around here are starting before Labor Day this year, many in a day or two from now.)

I might do something two weeks or so into September for those kids who get into school and realize they are squinting at the board, etc.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sold a lot of glasses, made a lot of artifcial eyes and re-supplied a lot of contact lenes as well as fitted a few.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Our back to school promotion included 20% off second pairs, 20% off contact lens fitting. We also had a free watch promotion left over from last year with Liberty Optical, they were these cheesy "kiddie" watches that were free with purchase of a Liberty Kids Club frame.... talk about an easy sale... the kids just loved it! In Austin school has already started so we were very busy a few weeks ago, it has died down somewhat....University of Texas is getting ready to start now, so we have a bunch of college students, I will be offering our same "back to school" promo to these guys as well......sans the kids club frames!!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file
    I'm not clear on why you need a back-to-school promotion when back-to-school time is the busiest time of the year (at least for us). Seems to me that the time for promotions is around the Christmas holidays. That's typically a slow time for us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are so many places now days that parents can go to take their kids, so we decided to up the ante so to speak, and offer other things......If we could sell second pairs all day long than why not have a promo? :bbg:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I think, as most of us probably do, that kids are HARD on glasses. I think to be able to leverage seconds pairs is almost a necessity (if only for the sanity of the parents who have to bring the kids in for adjustments, repairs etc).

Also, I am thinking of the ad in one of the trade journals for SPORTS glasses...(hilco) that mentions that "16 million kids wear glasses. 50% + are in organized sports. Less than 200,000 protective sports frames sold annually" . I think sports glasses are an under utilized 2nd pair -- not only for "safety" sake but also to reduce wear & tear on the "regular" glasses. Does anyone send out flyers to the coaches, sports leagues?

Does anyone schedule anymore DR coverage to cope?

Just wondering....

Karen

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, but the Doc has been coming in on one of his days off though.

Thread Information