Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Mitchellvision

chip anderson said:
    Chicken?
    How professional!?!

Bad address email on file R10957's Avatar

Confusin??????????

Well, so far CONFUSION is the name of the game in this area.

Independent Opticians and OD's and MD's are Independent because they prefer it over Company locations.

Unfortunately, EyeMed has started a very very understandable but confusing, new breed of Insurance company operation.

We all understand that the parent company wants sales.....
    We all understand that Eyemed is being used by its parent as a marketing tool.....We all understand that if you are an Eyemed provider, you are suppose to be a "A frame purchaser" for Luxoticca. We all understand that a SALES REP will make it all happen for the provider, because they have all the information.

Confusion in this matter is on many fronts. Exactly who really has to buy product?????, Opticians, OD, or MD offices?????? According to The poeple that are in the know at Luxoticca, say it DEPENDS ON something? Confusion is who's business are they really after? Spectera-Cole-Davis-VSP-Fedelus- or someone else?

Confusing is what is the reason for requiring the purchase of a product that is suppose to NO 1 world wide,?Confused-Doesnt their product sell itself? If so, why do you need sales reps. We phone order what product of theirs we want, saves time, for us and saves them money, on expenses.

Confused is the EOB that is sent to all of the patients seen by all of the providers. Gee, as we were told recently, by mail, and in person, We are going to revise our EOB so that it wont in clude reference to Lens Crafters. Or something to that effect. We can not have this done until sometime in the first qtr of 2004. HMHMHMHMHM Confused- they can change a contract with providers, and then change it again all within 8 months, but it takes them from 4-7 months to get rid of an ADVERTISEMENT?

HMO's, employer's, and other vision purchasing groups, love to pay for the LOWEST, or cheapest to them price, and then the providers of those service, and other frames manufactures are required to DISCOUNT, and and the providers are being asked to BUY, thusly, part of the provider network, not all, can help to repay the cost not charged to the vision program buyer.

Hopefully, the PRIVATE paractices will see that EyeMed, as a young company has a place, Luxoticca is an old well know Co, are each good, but the combining of the 2, makes for a costly Patient Buying for the Independents.

Bad address email on file mitchellvision's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Confusin??????????

R10957 said:
    Well, so far CONFUSION is the name of the game in this area.

Independent Opticians and OD's and MD's are Independent because they prefer it over Company locations.

Unfortunately, EyeMed has started a very very understandable but confusing, new breed of Insurance company operation.

We all understand that the parent company wants sales.....
    We all understand that Eyemed is being used by its parent as a marketing tool.....We all understand that if you are an Eyemed provider, you are suppose to be a "A frame purchaser" for Luxoticca. We all understand that a SALES REP will make it all happen for the provider, because they have all the information.

Confusion in this matter is on many fronts. Exactly who really has to buy product?????, Opticians, OD, or MD offices?????? According to The poeple that are in the know at Luxoticca, say it DEPENDS ON something? Confusion is who's business are they really after? Spectera-Cole-Davis-VSP-Fedelus- or someone else?

Confusing is what is the reason for requiring the purchase of a product that is suppose to NO 1 world wide,?Confused-Doesnt their product sell itself? If so, why do you need sales reps. We phone order what product of theirs we want, saves time, for us and saves them money, on expenses.

Confused is the EOB that is sent to all of the patients seen by all of the providers. Gee, as we were told recently, by mail, and in person, We are going to revise our EOB so that it wont in clude reference to Lens Crafters. Or something to that effect. We can not have this done until sometime in the first qtr of 2004. HMHMHMHMHM Confused- they can change a contract with providers, and then change it again all within 8 months, but it takes them from 4-7 months to get rid of an ADVERTISEMENT?

HMO's, employer's, and other vision purchasing groups, love to pay for the LOWEST, or cheapest to them price, and then the providers of those service, and other frames manufactures are required to DISCOUNT, and and the providers are being asked to BUY, thusly, part of the provider network, not all, can help to repay the cost not charged to the vision program buyer.

Hopefully, the PRIVATE paractices will see that EyeMed, as a young company has a place, Luxoticca is an old well know Co, are each good, but the combining of the 2, makes for a costly Patient Buying for the Independents.
    We all understand that an insurance co. sells their "benefits" to a company to enroll their employees. They must also have provider for the employees to use their "benefits". The "confusion" comes when that ins. co. presures the providers to use product from one vendor. Here in Texas the doctors used to write Varilux on the RX and throw a fit if it wasn't fit. Well, the rules got changed so that the doctor may no longer make that restriction on the RX. You may say that the patient doesn't have to get a Lux frame. Maybe so, but at what cost. VSP offers a frame selection through their network; however, if you don't choose one of their frames there is not a penalty to anyone. That seems to be more fair.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, but with VSP you must use their labs. We pay more on each job we order because we are charged for edged lenses, normally we order uncut, added up over a years time, that is a good amount.

Of course you don't have to order edged lenses, you can order uncuts and then submit but providers aren't reimbursed as much if they cut inhouse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo said:
    Yes, but with VSP you must use their labs. We pay more on each job we order because we are charged for edged lenses, normally we order uncut, added up over a years time, that is a good amount.

Of course you don't have to order edged lenses, you can order uncuts and then submit but providers aren't reimbursed as much if they cut inhouse.
    And you are not charged as much for the uncuts and you have a choice of more than one lab or lens company.

Mitchellvision

First of all you have a conflict on intrest here. You will never find any good in Eyemed because it will hurt you.

If you can sell up on Eyemed you make much more than VSP. Eyemed patients can buy any frame they want to at no penalty. Some plan do pay $5 extra if you use a Luxottica frame.

If you have your own lab you can make even more!

Nobody likes managed care but Eyemed is much better than plans like Davis!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    fletch said:
    Mitchellvision

First of all you have a conflict on intrest here. You will never find any good in Eyemed because it will hurt you.

If you can sell up on Eyemed you make much more than VSP. Eyemed patients can buy any frame they want to at no penalty. Some plan do pay $5 extra if you use a Luxottica frame.

If you have your own lab you can make even more!

Nobody likes managed care but Eyemed is much better than plans like Davis!
    I don't think anybody is pleased or happy when someone uses some sort of pressure to restict trade and having to buy $100 of product from only one company for every claim filed does restrict trade. I have worked in offices and know how hard it is to get patients to deviate from their plan. The plan is designed to get them to buy frames from ONE manufacturer. If something was in place that sent people to your competitor and you had practically no chance of making any sales, I guess you would be very happy. It is funny how when something doesn't effect you you thinkyou have a greater understanding of the issues.

I was hoping to evoke some opinions, and I guess, I have finally been able to do that.

MitchelVision, I have to agree with you 100%. One way street. Even worse than that, if you EyeMed providers look at your contracts, you will find that not all providers have to pay. ONLY THOSE THAT SUBMIT CLAIMS, AND THEN ONLY THOSE THAT HAVE DISPENSARYS, OWNED BY THE CLAIM SUBMITTER.

That Leaves who that has to buy? OD or MD owned practices with dispensing. Optician owned only have to file claims if they pay there Dr's directly. So, what does this mean?? Well, it simple means that a few practices are being asked to pay for all of the providers. These would be a large percentage of Davis - EyeMed providers, a large percentage of VSP-EyeMed providers, and a large share of Cole-EyeMed providers. The exam only OD or MD,(NO DISPENSING) just collects his money, and that is it.

Believe it or not, that has never been fully explained to the providers in our area, by the EyeMed Reps.

:hammer: :hammer: Oh I forgot, the Luxotticca Sales Reps are the EyeMed Reps too. Fancy that.

One other item, that has been overlooked so far in this discussion-The 50%discount on the first $130.00 of frame sale. That is the contract that we see most here. 50% off any bodys product, up to 130.00. 20% on any balance. It has been my experience that a 20% "courtesy discount" was a norm, and that anything over that was taking from PROFITS? Think about it-for every 100 patients you sell a pair of glasses too, on this EyeMed plan, you are giving away $6500.00, up front on any product in your store. And to make it worse, this benefit can be used as many times as you want, 2-3 pairs or more a year. Davis ASKS that you give a courtesy discount on anything that purchased after plan benefits are used, VSP does the same. ASKing is not the same as telling you you have to give up gross sales volume.

Couple that with the frame purchase, You could easily have a lop sided inventory, heavy in Lux product, with only a 20% return priviledge, again see contract, and giving far more gross, or forcing you to raise frames pric4es for all Companys carried, to make up for the loss.

Can some help me with the math on this. Am I right, or is there some sort of NEW math out there????????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fletch said: Some plan do pay $5 extra if you use a Luxottica frame.

I wonder why is only some plans?
    How does Eyemed actualy knows what frame was purchased by the patient?
    I still have their garbage AJ frames that nobody wants for free (including Luxottica)

The $5.00 is for funded( claims that EyeMed pays provider for materials) claims only as I have been told. Also, I have been told that not all plans qualify for this $5.00 Luxotticca Frame spiff. We see so few of the funded palns, that I have not to my knowledge gotten this spiff.

As for how do they know, it is a question on the claim submission form(Web billing), that you answer that question.

Hope that helps.

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

let me see if I understand....

If I joined eyemed, I am not obligated to buy anything unless I file a claim for eyeglasses? How much is required to buy from eyemed per claim? What if the patient comes and end up buying lets say contact lens services instead of eyeglasses? Am I obligated to purchase luxutica products then?

In this day and age of integrated practices with all three O's being part of the practice can one practitioner elect to participate and another not?

dannyboy

confused on eye med

Still confused?

Well, Danny, simply put, if your OD's own or have a majority of ownership, in the despensarys, then every claim you file that EyeMed had to pay you for, is counted. If you own the Despensery then the only claims you will have counted will be those that EyeMed has to pay you for materials. If you bill for exams, then pay the Dr's, then you will have those claims too.

That is a simple answer, to a very complex question. Some of it is up to interpratation, by the reader, but the jist of it, is as above.

Read ALL of the threads for this topic, before you do anything. That might help.

Contact a Lux rep, and ask them to explain it to you, and then, contact me, and I can forward to you some of the research paperwork I have, for yo to look at. Anytime I can help.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture, but I never considered EyeMed, Cole Vision or Vision One health insurance or even eye insurance. It's a ploy to move bodies into a store to purchase product. Period.

Marketing. Marketing. Marketing. All of these plans want their members to think they have some special insurance, but what they really have is a discount card for -usually- overpriced products.

The real competition for these "patients" (really customers) are the heavy discounters like WalMart. I've had patients come back after being "shocked" at the final price of products on some of these plans. Only the final price matters and if a customer feels they paid too much, they will not be back.

And, yes, if there is a LensCrafters in your area, it would be no brainer decision. If you join, you have no brain.

Independents still have the right to just say "no". The plans want us on their panels to give them better geographic distribution, but most important, credibility. Sorry guy, I've worked for 20 years to earn the loyalty and trust of my patients. It's not for sale.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It looks like Eyemed does pay $5 extra if you dispence a Lux frame to the patient.
    I had a family today and one got a GA so they paid me more.
    Now i have few questions:
    1 How come i was never told this?
    2 Does it makes a difference in frame purchase requirements if your patients are buing a Lux frames or not ( i think it should)
    3 How eyemed will actually check if the Lux frame was dispensed or it was Marchone?
    4 Since GA is now Safilo Will the old GAs consider a Lux frames?:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can some help me with the math on this. Am I right, or is there some sort of NEW math out there???????? [/QUOTE]

The new math is called Lux math. Specialized for the optical industry.
    All the Lux reps don't see the handwriting on the wall, Lux won't need need them either after they have enough control of the indusrty. Course a paycheck is a paycheck, right?

Thread Information