Thread: Asians and Field of Vision...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Asians and Field of Vision...

This topic recently arose on another forum I frequent... Namely, an optician was asking about a "fact" she had heard regarding the peripheral vision of Asians. According to the speaker, Asians have approximately 30% less peripheral vision due to the anatomical structure of their eyelids.

Anyone out there have any insight on this bit of "knowledge?" True or false?

Thanks
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,

From what I understand there is a higher risk of visual field loss in cases of eye disease among Asians.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Pete,

I have a related "fact" that I have experienced over time with Asians. They tend to not like a long corridor in their progressives. I have found this time and time again in most Asians. My theory is that most Asian language is read not left-right but top-bottom. I had many issues until I started fitting Asians in short corridor lenses. Now, I hardly have any issue with complaints about not being able to see. I have not run into any issue about peripheral vision.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Also, they generally have flatter corneas.........

Question other races??

educating thread,what abot other races like blacks with big flat nose,any such experinces.Optom you're from Africa tell us something

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point. In the same way different genetic backgrounds are prone to heart disease, sickle cell anemia or Tay-Sachs disease, vision must have many examples as well.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm glad to see this has developed into an interesting thread. Just to re-visit the original question, however, can anyone confirm that peripheral vision for Asians is limited by the anatomical structure of the eyelids? I'm not sure why the question is being asked (I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a dispensing troubleshooting), but one of our consultants has encountered it and I told her I'd consult my "premier" group of colleagues to research the query.

Thanks!

Still not your answer...

Ethnic Groups Have Differing Eye Problems
    Prevalence of children's eye problems depends on ethnicity, research says.

(HealthDay is the new name for HealthScoutNews.)

MONDAY, Aug. 11 (HealthDayNews) -- A child's ethnicity affects his chances of developing such common visual problems as nearsightedness or farsightedness.

An American study in the August issue of Archives of Ophthalmology found the prevalence of some common eye disorders in children varies by ethnic group.

The Ohio State University College of Optometry-led study examined refractive errors and eye development in 2,523 American children, aged 5 to 17, from four different ethnic groups. There were 534 black children, 491 Asians, 463 Hispanics and 1,035 whites.

Overall, 9.2 percent of the children were myopic (nearsighted), 12.8 percent were hyperopic (farsighted) and 28.4 percent had astigmatism, which is blurred vision caused when the outer surface of the eye is not perfectly round.

But specific ethnic factors showed up for each disorder, according to the study.

Asian children had the highest prevalence of myopia at 18.5 percent, followed by Hispanics at 13.2 percent, blacks at 6.6 percent and whites at 4.4 percent.
    White children had the highest prevalence of hyperopia at 19.3 percent, followed by Hispanics at 12.7 percent, blacks at 6.4 percent and Asians at 6.3 percent.
    Hispanics had the highest prevalence of astigmatism at 36.9 percent, followed by Asians at 33. 6 percent, whites at 26. 4 percent and blacks at 20 percent.
    "The high prevalence of refractive errors in children aged 5 to 14 years in the four ethnic groups indicates that uncorrected refractive errors are a major public health problem," the study authors write.

"The implications of this research are that there are a large number of children who are handicapped visually in their everyday classroom, recreational and other activities. These uncorrected refractive errors have the potential to make learning more difficult and to reduce or self-limit the choices that children make in their daily activities. New policies need to be developed to address this public health issue," the authors write.

More information

Here's where you can learn more about vision disorders

http://www.healthday.com/view.cfm?id=514573

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:

Just to re-visit the original question, however, can anyone confirm that peripheral vision for Asians is limited by the anatomical structure of the eyelids?
    Sorry Pete, I missed your question about eyelids.

It appears most of the information on single fold eyelids out there involves studies done by plastic surgeons with the emphasis on cosmetics.
    Eyelid surgery can also be performed on the upper eyelids when the excess skin interferes with peripheral vision. After a visual field analysis, performed by an eye doctor, indicates deficiencies, upper blepharoplasty can be performed to improve vision. This indication for surgery should be covered by insurance.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks Jo! :)

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Big Smile

According to the speaker, Asians have approximately 30% less peripheral vision due to the anatomical structure of their eyelids

Not when I see pretty girls near by!!!:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile asians

and if you know Jerry, he sees a lot:cheers:

Hello Pete,
    I have seen few perimetry results of Asians, none were suggestive of reduced peripheral field of vision due to their eyelid anatomy. Generally, those with protruding brow bone and sunken eyes face resulted in few degrees lesser altitudinal peripheral boundaries of field of vision. Africans (Deepak wanted to know this!) with flat nose crest I find them they have extra few degrees field of vision nasally, giving them wider than normal total horizontal field of vision. These are my personal experiences I want to put on this thread.
    Regards,
    Optom

Thread Information