Thread: The future of opticianry

Bad address email on file

The future of opticianry

There is another thread about research on gel implants to "cure" presbyopia. It seems that technology is determined to find surgical ways to resolve myopia and hyperopia (with LASIK), and now presbyopia (with gel implants).

Does anyone feel "threatened" by this, that someday there will be significantly less demand for glasses and CL and the future of opticianry doesn't look so hot?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ya I feel it to. But when I broach the subject most people just
    laugh and go on with there other trival things. I also brought up the fact that Optical was going to be conglomerated into just a few main players, but again most people laughed, but look at the landscape today, Optical is run mostly by Walmart, Lenscrafters
    and Colevision. Bye Bye Mom and Pop

:bbg: :D

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are not only theatened but nearly destroyed by self-referring precribers. We have little future except as slaves to practioner owned establishments and congolomerates.

Chip

And now even the precribers are becoming slaves to insureance companies, and the like.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

History ..........and ..........Future

I also brought up the fact that Optical was going to be conglomerated into just a few main players, but again most people laughed, but look at the landscape today, Optical is run mostly by Walmart, Lenscrafters
    ========================
    .We are not only theatened but nearly destroyed by self-referring precribers. We have little future except as slaves to practioner owned establishments and congolomerates We are not only theatened but nearly destroyed by self-referring precribers. We have little future except as slaves to practioner owned establishments and congolomerates

In the 1950s Opticians thought the profession was going to end, at least for glasses ........................ when contact lenses got introduced

In my humble opinion it is neither of the Wal Marts et al, or any corrective operation to improve eye sight.

Watching the few large multinational optical companies taking over manufacturers, laboratories and even some distributors, I am willing to bet that the retail end will be the next step in takeover bids.

One large frame company fully owns one of the large chains and opticians still support and praise the manufacturer and his products right here on this forum.

When the blind gets deaf, they are in need of help. .....................

Opticians don't worry the multinationals will still need and employ you when they own and dominate the retail end.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    As a "mom and pop" shop, I find that I am doing as well or better that I have ever done in 26 years, the very folks who are "dominating" the optical scene, are also running off a major segment of the eyewear consumers, and so our type of shop is a 'niche', doing what we've always done, adhering to the Guild Code of Ethics, to work at 'state of the art", to be an alternate source of optical goods and services, etc. look people that need quality eyewear, want to do business with folks that know what they're doing and are in a position where their overhead isn't crushing, like when you have to handle 'break-even' programs like VSP, Eyemed, etc...so, hey there is a major market for independent opticians, and it just needs for the people that have the skills and knowledge to have the courage to take advantage of it...

The impact on opticianry due to so-called "self-referrals" or due to mergers by conglomerates will be a moot point IF THERE IS NO MARKET becaue the market is captured first by LASIK and gel implants. Chains would be extemely affected by this.

My thought is, in 50 or 20 years from now (or maybe sooner), there will be a tiny market for glasses because it will be routine to have surgery to correct vision.

Will glasses go the way of the horse and buggy?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here's an old thread on this subject for reference:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ure+opticianry

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Crier my licensed optician son is selling sunglasses!!

Hello,
    I inherited optometry from my Father, will have to give second thought about passing the profession to my childern. I don't want them to end up selling sunglasses only.
    :p
    Regards,
    Optom

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    paw said:
    My thought is, in 50 or 20 years from now (or maybe sooner), there will be a tiny market for glasses because it will be routine to have surgery to correct vision.
    Yes, but in 50 years I am going to bet almost everything, not only eyecare, is going to be different from what we now know. In 1919, we were less than two months out of World War I during which air battles were fought with biplanes; fifty years later in 1969 Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

Will we be able to adapt to advancements in eyecare technology? Our profession should be able to but not as it exists now. Until all of us decide that we need to support a national standard of qualifications and formal education to keep up with changing technology we will fade into the past along with the biplane. Time doesn't stand still and some of us are trying to hold on to the past so securely that we are jeopardizing our future.
    "Do not wait; the time will never be ''just right.'' Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
    --Napoleon Hill

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw:

You could be right, but at present most of the public is afraid of having their eye cut on by any means by anyone. Most of the public has enough sense to be afraid of "doctors" who advertise surgery and "sell" surgery. It will hopefully take fifty years for this to change and being sixty, I hope I am not still working then.

Chip

Big Smile

Hee, hee, I hope not either Chip, but with a gel implant, just think how clearly you'll be able to focus on those CL fits at the age of 110!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paw said:
    The impact on opticianry due to so-called "self-referrals" or due to mergers by conglomerates will be a moot point IF THERE IS NO MARKET becaue the market is captured first by LASIK and gel implants. Chains would be extemely affected by this.

I say; Where are these gel plants going to be placed? Knowing most medical doctors Im sure they are going to test the waters for breast implants and eye implants. I can see it now ( no pun intented) get your gel implants for your eye's and while your at it we will fix your breasts. Most MD's in optical are in it for the money and nothing else.

:hammer:

I think we will all be very old or gone before the industry is dead! The side street optical could be gone sooner. But I think if you have a good location and have a clean updated shop you can make it!

Give the people what they want!

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    I believe opticianry is (or at least should be) a specialized field. As long as we continue to progress in our ability, knowledge and skill, I think there will always be a need. I do not see surgery as being the biggest threat. I think apathy and the failure of the profession to move forward with technological advancement is much more likely to be our demise.

What concerns me is the success chains have had blocking state legislation that would require opticians to meet certain minimum educational standards (or licensure) where currently there are none. In addition, (some) states that do have license laws are having trouble getting LDO's to support the state association, which is the primary source of counter-lobbying in these matters. If we want to preserve our profession, I believe we need to become willing to invest more time and money in the future -- not just our own, but for the future of ECP generations to come.

It's only my opinion ...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few years ago, a chain called LensCrafters came on the scene. I was at a seminar, and the buzz was that private practices wouldn't last another 5 years. (Glasses in an hour !! Oh my!!)

I think it's been at least 15 years now...

I'm still here and I still see new practices opening around here.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Going on four years ago, I had LASIK to correct myopia of about -5.00. I am now happily -0.50 and am happily still wearing spectacles (and yes, I would purchase them even if I weren't in the field).

Interestingly enough, I was reading in a non-ophthalmic medical journal about refractive IOL surgery. Seems they have gotten the procedure to the point where it is an option for those who do not have the corneal structure necessary for more traditional refractive surgery. The article went on to discuss some of the bifocal IOLs that are being used- interesting stuff.

I think the masses are always going to use eyeglasses as a primary method of vision correction. Beyond securing discounts for their member lives, third party is probably never going to cover these procedures, and perhaps I am naive, but I think the majority of eyeglass wearing individuals are happy with their spectacles. If anything, I would guess that refractive surgeries are going to impact the contact lens market over time.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that there will be a large number of people that won't trust any surgical eye surgery (in fifty years) As we all know, PRK/Lasik really took off in the last couple years, however I still see many of our own patients that will go for glasses as opposed to going "under the knife" Granted we have had many that have opted for surgery....but my optical is still the most finacially producing area in our practice.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How many people get Lasik and still have a "residual" Rx that they wear for night driving, movies, etc...? Probably the majority!! And then what about the Lasik people that have not yet had the presbyopia kick in? They will need glasses in a few short years. This is in addition to the fact that Lasik makes people more sensative to light; both natural and artificial which will require sunglasses.

etc...etc...etc...

There will ALWAYS be a need for glasses. Even with the newest surgery, whenever we mess around with our god-given design we come up very short. It is a miracle that glasses work so well!!!!

As far as LC and the like, they present all the threat right now that they ever will. People will continue to use an insurance that only OD's can accept. They will still feel more at home in a less car sales enviroment. Any optical has the option to carry specialty and unique frames and products designed with the area and clientel in mind. To worry over the future of the industry is to make much ado about nothing.

They way you set yourself apart is by deep down in the little place that only you know about , actually CARING about people. People always recognize this and will never leave you if that is the case.

Now I am off to become a sales rep of some kind....

ad

Thumbs up we'll become nuclear opticians

I agree with aaron than anyone else.Opticiians are to stay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe opticianry is here to stay, specially with the various surgeries that are here now and will continue to come up.

Just consider, eye surgey is plastic surgery. You can only stretch the skin so many times. Same with the cornea. How many times can you cut the cornea and still expect it to do what you want it to do?

Slice it, dice it, laser it. You only have so many cells to play with before it's transplant time.

See ya at the optical shop.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I personally choose to wear glasses because I look good in glasses and I like to change my look quite often. I could wear contacts or I could get lasik, but glasses suit me just fine, and I sure I'm not the only one. As far as Opticians being around in the next 50 years, I feel that the good ones (specialized work, custom work) will thrive and prosper, because there will always be a market for unique pieces. I think the chains will make it unappealing ( no $ ) to get licensed that they will be left with frame pickers and a computer that spits out the type of lens they should get, all in the name of efficency.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information