Thread: A/R scratches when edging

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper A/R scratches when edging

In the past I have had trouble with un-cut A/R lenses scratching while edging (wet system).

You may be doing this already, but sometimes it takes me a little longer to catch on.

The frames with the magnetic clips when you open them up from the manufacture, there is a transparent clear covering that clings on the sun clip lens to keep it from not scratching while in transit.

I have, with scissors, cut that film in rounds just a little larger than my chuck and putting it on the (-) side of the lens at where the chuck holds the lens, now the chuck is not directly on the lens therefore, I have just about eliminated scratches while edging!:D

This also works when putting on the groove!

If this is old news, sorry, but it sure helped me!

Robert
    ;)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Robert,

If you do not want to wait around for the clip company supplying your short cut, using cling wrap works just as well, I also at times after removing the paper pad off of the leap pad stick it on the occular side of the chuck :) ..
    I always thought this would be a good invention for some of the edger companies..you know those little "stress" balls you squeeze ? instead of a hard cup on the inside chuck the could place some type of "bladder" that adjusts..just like the pressure sensor chucks on the electric chuck systems.. this would eliminate lens flexing in high minus and crazy cylinder jobs..as the chuck closes the inside "bladder" adjusts to the curve of the lens... nothing "hard" smashing against the lens and it conforms to the curve of the lens..
    Glad to see someone else "tinkers"... maybe you could put it in a box and sell it :-) ... I took my roll of fishing line for rimless frames, stuck a pencil through it put it in a box and put a sticker on the side and called it the "rimless caddy" ..had an OD who wanted to "buy one" when he saw it...gee I guess if you dress up any idea no matter how simple and silly someone out here is willing to buy it..
    They have Dr.Shoals foot pads (sp?) ..you could call your's "Dr.Roberts AR pads"

Jeff "I only want 10% off the top for giving you the idea" Trail

Thread Information