Thread: Review: All Off Ink Remover

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Review: All Off Ink Remover

Product: All Off Ink Remover
    Vendor: Optisource (NuChem)
    Vendor Home Page:
    Category: Other
    Reviewer: Richard A. Callahan (Eyemanfla)

Ratings:
    Quality:
    Ease of use:
    Client acceptance (if applicable):
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
    Value:
    Overall:

Review:
    All Off is an ink removal chemical that has been marketed by NuChem, now Optisource, for about the last two years. While it is a fairly good product, and we have used it before, it has two negatives.
    First, depending on the bottle you receive, the odor is anywhere from barely acceptable to downright toxic.
    Second, the price. At $49.00 per 16 oz. Bottle bottle, it’s just a bit pricy for our taste.
    I know that finding a good, relatively cheap progressive ink remover is tough, for about the 10th of the price, I have been using a mixture of 4 parts denatured alcohol and one part acetone. The acetone is diluted enough so as to not damage polycarbonate lenses.

Would you purchase this product or other products from this company based on your experience with this product?
    I have purchased this produce in the past, though no longer due because of price. I still, however, do business with Optisource.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I received a sample and put it to the test. Will it remove progressive markings? Yes, but you will have to work at it a bit. The amount of rubbing will depend on the progressive that you use. It doesn't even come close to the ease and speed of acetone. On a Hoya progressive with this product it took 25 strokes with the solution on a q-tip for the marking to be gone, with acetone 4 strokes done the same way. Sorry, just not a great product.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have you noticed.....

that some progressives are now coming in with "user friendly" markings. I notice my Varilux comforts now can be cleaned up with denatured alcohol. Hoya's are still tough!

hj

I love the stuff.
    I let it soak a minute to avoid all of the rubbing.

mrba

OptiBoard Novice
    I always use methanol

to advoid rubbing just leave a tissue moistened with methanol on the marking for for 15-20 seconds

also acetone is not a problem on polycarb as long as you dont get it on the edged surface or in a drill mount the hard coat is not affected

Quote Originally Posted by wollernz

also acetone is not a problem on polycarb as long as you dont get it on the edged surface or in a drill mount the hard coat is not affected
    NOT TRUE!

OptiBoard Novice
    not true ? works for me

but if you prefer use sellotape press it onto the marking and pull it off most of the ink will come away with the tape

residue can be removed with methanol or ethanol

if the coating is damaged by this process it was poor to start with:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    The main issue safety. Most large labs now require MSDS and special markings, and it is good business to provide products that are safe to use. Acetone is highly flamable and you know what it does to your hands :0). Alcohol is also flamable although much safer than acetone, but you have to consider the risks.

It only takes one injury to bring OSHA to your door. Caution is the name of the game, and safe is the way to play. All Off works adequately and has lower risks.

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found that if you heat the ink, i.e. hot air or glass beads(lenses on a cloth) the ink comes off most all lenses quite easily with alchohol

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I use methal hydrate. I find it does a better job than alcohol and acetone, plus I find that it does not leave the film or dry spots that the others do.

Bad address email on file
    i like the stuff myself... its true that you have to work at it a little bit, but soaking does help (as prev post)... i use a qtip myself and can make a bottle last a long time... as for the price we buy 3 bottles at a time and get it for about $36 ea... i also find that it works great for getting those smudges off that alcohol wont get off, i think acetone is a dangerous product and should only be used sparingly... oh one time i got all off on a zyle frame once and it ruined the frame (it hasnt happend since) probably an isolated inncodent...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    that some progressives are now coming in with "user friendly" markings. I notice my Varilux comforts now can be cleaned up with denatured alcohol. Hoya's are still tough!

hj
    yeah! I've noticed in the past year at least, that the markings come off real easy with a little household rubbing alcohol... especially the Varilux and Natural lenses, but the AO's we run are still tough.

we have these pens that will do the job in a couple strokes, but they smell a little like a cross between acetone and Solves-It, which makes me a tad leary of using them on Poly lenses.

then again, nothing takes off markings like a little neutralizer on a tissue :D

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave ouch!

My first post!
    Oh man I cant stand that all off....Probably cause I am allergic to it!
    I have found that Citri-strip works the best, found in the paint isle at any store. it doesnt smell NEARLY as bad and disolves markings very quickly, even those really thick Ziess Gradal markings with the THICK ring at the reading power. :idea:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Markaway

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584
    My first post!

......................found that Citri-strip works the best, found in the paint isle at any store. it doesnt smell NEARLY as bad and disolves markings very quickly, even those really thick Ziess Gradal markings with the THICK ring at the reading power. :idea:
    Try Markaway from OMS. that will for sure not damage any Poly or high index lenses, see at http://optochemicals.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Try Markaway from OMS. that will for sure not damage any Poly or high index lenses, see at http://optochemicals.com
    I will back up that claim.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What exactly is the pbroblem with using acetone. You're not exactly soaking in it. Here's what I found from the Canadian Center for Occupational
    Health and Safety
    -
    What happens when acetone comes into contact with my skin?

Acetone is either slightly irritating or not irritating, based on animal and limited human information. Application of 1 mL of acetone in a small glass tube to six male volunteers for 30 or 90 minutes resulted in only mild redness and swelling at 90 minutes.

The risk of developing health effects following the absorption of acetone through unbroken skin is very slight. There are several reports of people, usually young children, becoming ill following skin exposure to acetone while lightweight casts were being put on broken limbs. The symptoms experienced were similar to those described following high inhalation exposures. In all cases, a large amount of acetone came into contact with the skin for several hours and inhalation exposure may also have occurred. These reports are not considered relevant to people exposed to acetone at work.

So again what is the problem? Is there something else out there that conflicts with the above? We all seem to compare everything to it because it works the best. bviously we should be careful with its use in regards to safety and exposure to certain frame materials.

Occupation

Its NOT your skin....................

Quote Originally Posted by Specs

So again what is the problem?
    The problem is yout statment. Acetone has one of highest evaporation rates. Therefore the problerm is not the skin contact and irritation but ingestion through inhaling. Go read on ingestion of acteone and as you do that you might as well also read up on ingestion through inhaling on hot lens dye neutralizer (ethylene glycol)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If alcohol doesn't work, We use cigarette lighter fluid, you know the kind that we used before disposable lighters, by Ronson, I believe.

I know it's flammable, but we use it in cigarette lighters...:angry: and I suspect it is less toxic than acetone. Acetone is last resort, except it can't be used on poly.

OptiBoard Novice
    I love my all-off. It only took one slightly explosive incident with acetone for me to stop using it. It makes sense to not have highly volatile and highly flammable chemicals laying around. It's safer and yes all-off might smell a bit more powerful than other solvents, but because it's not as volatile it doesn't stink up my lab nearly as much as acetone used to.

I keep some in a little sealable tub. I just drop the lenses in to let them soak for a minute or so, dab a little all-off onto a q-tip and it removes the inks with ease.

also price is not an issue. yes it is $49.99 on the website but if you call optisource (1-800-OPTISOURCE) they will most likely cut you a break. I get 6 bottles at a time for only $24.99 each. It's a lot to have at once, but it doesnt go bad and I'm going to use it eventually anyways.

I'd reccomend all-off to anybody.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I perfer using Acetone. The only material you have to be careful with is poly.The same care has to be taken with mark off or markaway or any other renamed poduct. So avoid the price and smell. I agree with Wollernz.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp
    I perfer using Acetone. The only material you have to be careful with is poly.The same care has to be taken with mark off or markaway or any other renamed poduct. So avoid the price and smell. I agree with Wollernz.
    Have you tried the OMS product? I have.

I was skeptical before until I tried it. I only believed in the cheap store bought stuff like acetone, alcohol, and methal hydrate. Now I will only use this. The OMS product is competitely priced, does not have a bad smell (actually better than acetone in my opinion), does not damage poly, and works just as good as acetone in my opinion.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have not used the OMS product.Being a typical skeptic I may have rushed to judgement too fast. I,ll give it a try.Thanks for the info.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why dont the manufacturers use a paint/ink that comes off easier? perhaps something that can be removed with plain methelayted spirits / alcohol... there would not be the debate thenincidentally - it isnt such a bad thing that a solvent smells awful - it stops people from ingesting/inhaling too much of it

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ALL off remover worth the price

This remover is great and well worth the price. One bottle lasts my busy office 1 year. I let it soak for 30 seconds and the markings come right off.It does not hurt the frames at all.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Markaway ..........the original

Quote Originally Posted by sherLocke54
    yes it is $49.99 on the website but if you call optisource (1-800-OPTISOURCE) they will most likely cut you a break.
    The Markaway from OMS is at:

1/2 Liter at $ 13.50 if you take a full case of 24 there is a 15% discount
    1 Liter at $ 24.00 if you take a full case of 12 there is a 15% discount

abd you can get it at: 800-361-6637

Thread Information