Thread: High minus wraps

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

High minus wraps

Anyone who's worked on lab side then this questions for you. Recieved a really wrapped frame and a high minus. I could answer this question myself but I'm not at work and just wondering. Does the FPD change when you face form to bring these glasses back to a resemblance of what they once looked like thus throwing the patients pd out the window? Do you pd measure after fitting to make sure all is correct?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We pick the highest base curve that will not show blank molding, or very littlte (can be rolled and looks great), and set edger to put on a 750 base bevel, moving bevel forward. A 750 base bevel is good enough to accomodate most wraps which come with 850 base lenses. No PD adjustment, never had a return.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sorry, i don't understand the term "blank molding".

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ed,

I think what he is talking about is the blank curve remolding the amount of wrap in the frame..
    If what you are asking is if the lab removes the wrap to get the lens mounted (spread the temples out) and than the opticians or dispensers are wrapping it back, which they could only be bending the bridge and wrapping the temples back in, yes they are changing the PD..if you are using a patternless system it is basing decentration on the scan, one thing I always do is NOT use the frame as my scan but use the demo's that are in the frame as my pattern and measure the frame and enter in the decentration..if you have to flatten that frame out and mount them and than they get wrapped after mounting, yes you are inducing base out prism by a mile...also one mistake a lot of techs make is they measure the PD from the front of a wrap frame when you should ALWAYS be measuring from the back.NOT bending the PD stick around the surface (arc) of the frame, this will give a misleading PD.
    I always tend to just match the wrap of the bevel to the wrap of the frame.. so even if I have to use a 4 base lens (even though I needed a .50 or 2 base and the frame is an 8.50 wrap.. in my opinion it is almost counter productive to go 5 or 6 diopters off the recommended curve just to make the lens curve and frame curve match and lose a ton of optical acuity ..I would rather make a pair of lens that someone can see through and match the BEVEL curve to the frame curve..not as cosmetically appealing but than again they are more functional. since we end up with lens even with the frame at the top of the curve and lens sticking forward (temperal/bridge) I'll edge coat a lens to match the frame, this way they get the wrapped style of frame, the end of with a very functional set of lens and not tinkering with the PD's by spreading out the frame to get it scanned and mounted and than the techs or optician having to bend the frame all out of whack getting it wrapped back..
    You talk to 5 lab guys though you'll probably get 5 different ways of doing it :)

Jeff "gee isn't lab work fun" Trail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Jeff, thanks for the reply and all the info is fantastic. We are using Spartan edgers and I don't think there is way way for us to custom base curve bevels like we could when we were using the Horizons.
    Concerning how to do the correct frame pd for a serious wrap I'm a little stymied. It is understanble not to do it on the front due to the arc but ever since optiboard informed me of parallax error I'm afraid to do it on the back side(man, i hope that doesn't get taken out of context).
    The interesting aspects of jobs like these is that we don't generally have a high rate of returns on them and when we do it is for cosmetic reasons. Next day I work I'm going to ask our grand daddy optician about it. I've never seen or heard of anyone at my store face forming and remeasuring pds. This is something that I'll bring up as well.
    I'm struck with the unsettling feeling that there may be people walking around with induced prism because of this. Some people will come and complain while others that have a new rx may think that this is what the doctor ordered and uuugg...adapt.

ed "hmmm.what would Jeff say?" KENdance

Bad address email on file
    I wouldn't fret too much about the prism issue. With low powers, it is minimal. To prevent the "wrapping the pd stick" problem, spend the extra couple bucks and supply everyone with wooden PD rulers. They don't bend :0).
    Most of the people wearing these wrapped frames are doing so for the "look" and will tolerate most anything to have it. That may account for the low returns and complaints - they are afraid of losing the frame :0). Also, most people will be able to tolerate a little horizontal prism. Vertical imbalance is more quickly noticed.
    I sure hope this wrapped frame phase dies a quick death :0). They're a pain to work with. Maybe we should have a special
    'edging' fee. What do you think? :0)

shutterbug

Thread Information