Thread: I need "Sport Sunglasses" help

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I need "Sport Sunglasses" help

A woman came in to my shop for the first time today, asking (begging) for my help. She said she has asked many opticians in town for their help only to be told there was nothing they could do for her.

Here's the situation...this woman has had many eye surgeries and consequently, her eyelids do not close completely. She is constantly putting drops in her eyes for lubrication. She is also very sensitive to light (and wind when she ventures outdoors). In the past she has worn B & L Killer Loop and Briko sunglasses. Both of these sunglasses are HUGE, wrap around shields (with temples...not straps) with foam on the inside of the frame. She has enjoyed these very much as they have completely protected her sensitive eyes from wind and light. She is now searching for something similar (as her two sunspecs are very old and both have broken pieces on them). Here I must confess that I am out of the whole "sport sunglass" loop...I say sport sunglass because these specs seem to be for skiiing etc. Anyway, I am really not up on manufacturers of this type of eyewear but, would, of course, like to help this nice lady out.

My ULTIMATE goal is to find a sunglass, as described above, whose sunlens (shield) can be changed for the customers needs....It would also be great if the foam insert could easily be replaced as the customer is constantly putting drops into her eyes and this is causing the foam in her eyeglasses to disintegrate. Even if this ULTIMATE goal could not be reached, it would be nice just to be able to replace her Killer Loop and Briko sunglasses (both no longer made) with something comparable.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,
    hip chic

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hip chic,

if I'm right, Smith makes a shield type sunglass with foam. Also Rudy Project, and a couple of the Adidas from Silhouette. Good luck.

Bob V.

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Order in a pair of Cocoons for her. Specify the two smaller sizes (S) and (MS). These frames are designed to completey isolate the eyes, but are not as large as the Cocoons that are designed to be worn over prescription glasses. The eyes are completely isolated from the elements. Polarized lenses are available in yellow, gray or amber and are completely Rx-able.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    hipchic. Bolle also has a great rx sport wrap, similar to Smith's has two sizes of Rx inserts, with full wrap shield lenses in several colors; btw, did she win the lawsuit against the surgeon?

Bad address email on file
    You could also suggest vapor shields. These are not so popular these days, but they can be custom made for most any frame. Find a reputable lab with a few old farts working on the staff and they will know what to do. They are usually made from a clear plastic material so they are not as noticable as foam. They might give her the freedom to pick a pair of glasses she likes for a change :-)

shutterbug

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I would suggest either PanOptx or Wiley-X. PanOptx tend to run a little large, but I have used them for people with severe dry eyes. The Wiley-X SG-1 has worked wonderfully for prescriptions. They have an interchangeable lens "socket"; the foam is around each eye cup and the whole eye cup comes out to change the lenses. Since they come with an extra set of lenses, you can easily provide her with two different colored lenses that can readily be changed out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PANOPTX!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I second the coccons. We have alot of cataract patients and patients with the EXACT problem you have described. The coccons really helped her alot although the are a functional and not neccesarily incredibly stylish frame. But we do sell a ton of them!!

Make sure she goes to an Opthalmologist for that dry eye. If left untreated it can only get more painfull. She should also be putting heavy ointment on the portion of her eye that is exposed while she sleeps right before bedtime. (too many nips and tucks will do that. We see alot of people like that here in Cali.)

BTW, Wiley and Rudy project both have web sites and frames that will work for what you want.

ad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb glasses

hip chic, if all else fails contact our frame guru Jerry Huang who custom builds these. You can reach him at www.cliphouse.com, or email at eyetailor@aol.com. He is out of the country for another week in Mongolia buying horn for their frames, and after that he will be back. Will you be in Vegas?, he alwayshas a booth there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shutterbug said:
    You could also suggest vapor shields. These are not so popular these days, but they can be custom made for most any frame. Find a reputable lab with a few old farts working on the staff and they will know what to do. They are usually made from a clear plastic material so they are not as noticable as foam. They might give her the freedom to pick a pair of glasses she likes for a change :-)

shutterbug
    OLD FARTS!!!!!!
    Here I was reading this post & the only term I could think of was "moisture chamber". Now that makes me shutter!!
    Jim

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Cocoons may be one of your least expensive alternatives. BTW, I RX'd a cocoon last week for the first time. I and patient were completely satisfied with the way it turned out.

Also, Costa Del Mar has a frame called the FLUID which is also available with three different lenses that may be changed contingent upon prevailing light conditions.

Kevin

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I "third" the Cocoons. They really do the job, and they don't cost and arm & leg. Of course, if she wants a flashy mirror and cooler colors, then I'd go w/ Smith.

Thread Information