ZEISS INTRODUCES FIRST-EVER CUSTOMIZED PROGRESSIVE LENS
-Gradal® Individual and Gradal® Short i available August 2003 -
CHESTER, Va., July 23, 2003 – Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc. today announces the official national introduction of its new premium progressive lenses, Gradal Individual and Gradal Short i. Based on the successful Gradal Top design, the personal approach of Gradal Individual and Short i considers not only the prescription for the computation of the lens' freeform surface but takes it one step further by considering the anatomy of the individual patient as well.

Traditional progressive lens base curves are calculated on averages. If a patient's requirements fall beyond this range, and most do, their vision is compromised. Zeiss Gradal Individual progressives eliminate the need for standard base curve technology. Instead, a new complex optical design software technology and state-of-the-art CNC tri-axial freeform diamond surfacing are combined to generate totally custom-designed lenses for the patient.

A patient wearing a Gradal Individual lens will receive a multitude of benefits including unprecedented clarity, superior adaptability and optimized wide viewing areas with virtually no distortions.

Gradal Individual features a minimum fitting height of 18 mm and will accommodate patients who prefer traditional frame sizes. With a low fitting height of 15 mm, Gradal Short i offers the shortest progressive zone available on the market. Gradal Short i is ideal for today's fashionable smaller frames.

With Gradal Individual, the eyecare professional can specify many parameters that have an influence on the final lens – Rx, PD, fitting height, corneal vertex distance, pantoscopic angle, near distance and the shape of the frame – in order to totally customize the lens to the patient's needs. After calculation, the progressive surface and back surface are three-dimensionally freeform diamond-cut to shape, polished and hard and AR-coated.

Even without utilizing the additional parameters, specifying the usual Rx and PD greatly individualizes the surface and improves visual performance significantly enabling Gradal Individual to outperform all other traditional PALs on the market by leaving traditional base curve technology behind. (See attached chart) The lens virtually eliminates non-adapts.

Gradal Individual is the first individual progressive lens of its kind ever to be produced on U.S. soil. The product is available nationwide beginning early August 2003. The lenses will be produced at Carl Zeiss Optical's headquarters in Chester and can be ordered directly from participating Zeiss partner labs.

"After a successful Gradal Individual test phase with independent retailers along the East Coast, we're excited to be able to offer this one-of-a-kind progressive lens nationwide," said Ed Greene, president, Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc. "Gradal Individual and our new processing technology will reinforce Zeiss' position as the industry leader in progressive lens technology."