Thread: Transitions Lens Claims

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transitions Lens Claims

So I've had my first patient complaint about how light Transitions lenses turn when indoors. Even though I showed the pt my own Transition lenses maintain a very lite color when indoors, I had to remake her lenses with clear ones as she pointed out to me Transitions claims on their marketing brochures "...they automatically go from as clear as regular glasses to as dark as sunglasses."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always hand the Transitions brochure to the patient for this reason. The film is always tinted slightly and I lay it against a white paper surface for them to see. This sometimes is the defining moment because some want more internal tint and then I consider Transistions Xtra Active or Sunsensors lenses depending on the patients desires.

As a policy the dispensers explain the differences between changeable lenses and true sunglasses. Many feel that Next Gen replaces good sunglasses. We also present Polarized sunlens and offer a discount on a complete second pair at the time. We have had zero remakes by doing this.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Good procedure Bev. You always seem to have a firm, logical plan in your operation. Nicely explained.
    J. R. Smith

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Varmint,
    Transitions lenses need good non uv indoor light to go as clear as possible. The photochromics are very sensitive to high end uv-a wave lengths. Exposure to sunlight coming in from windows or from fluorescent lighting will partially activate a clear state lens or slow fade rates of a darkened lens. Take a lens from an envelope and post it note half the lens, leave it out a few minutes and you will see a very very slight activation line. This is what some sensitive to color people can pick up on. The more activation, the more scattered uv you have in your room. Place the same lens under an incandescent light (away from windows or uv sources), in a minute or less it will be clear again.
    The lens materials, CR-607 in standard index, CR-424 and SOLA Spectralite for mid index, Trivex, Polycarbonate and Seiko 1.67 Hi Index are very clear. The Transitions photochromic systems have been purified to the point that residual color is almost nil. Add an AR coating and the lens is 94-95% LT. Slight exposure to a uv source will add the color that Bev refers too. Using the demo card and the film patient brochure will give the patient a better understanding of photochromic lens technology.

We prefer using mentioned sales tools along with the method that Varmint used, his own pair as an example.
    My own mother in law returns everything she ever purchaced at least once for adjustments or another color. She blanks out everything the the person told her about the product and customizes the product to her liking. I ams sure you all see this type of customer several times a month.

One point to consider is frame choice. Many of you have taken color courses, done the summer-winter fashion thing. Frames can make the clearest lens (photochromic or clear) look like it is holding a slight tint.
    A good example is what happened to one of our solutions team members. She is olive skinned, dark hair and brown eyes. Her frames were black plastic, small to medium lens size and the lenses AR Coated. She was travelling with a lens manufacturer rep, very blonde, very fair with blue eyes, she was wearing Transitions NG with AR. Her frames were rimless. Both women looked great in their choices. Their account wanted to know why our Transitions Solutions team rep lenses did not look as clear indoors as the LM blonde reps. They took off their eyewear and held them up to a light. Away from her face the lenses were clear, on her face, color borrowing from color made the lens look slightly tinted.
    When our rep is alone, her lenses look normal indoors, put her next to a fair skinned person with glasses and her lenses look slightly tinted. She now wears rimless eyewear when travelling with that particular LM rep.
    regards to all,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev, It seems by your reply you took my point incorrectly. We also use the Transition hand out brochure when doing a demo on the lenses. We also keep a KBCO polarized demo for polarized lenses on each dispensing table and tell all Pt's the differences between sunglass lenses & Transitions lenses. We also offered Crizal on these lenses. We'd be fools to not try to maximize each & every sale with the poor condition of the economy. Needless to say we wouldn't last long in business if we didn't offer any & all new technology to set us apart from the BOGO & cut rate advertisers.

My point was, this patient went to several retailers & returned wanting to know why Transitions claims its lenses get "CLEAR" in all their advertising & brochures, when in fact they retain a very slight tint. The patients issue was not with her Transitions getting dark enough to use as sunwear. As Jim pointed out, we will always get one pt who will find fault in something, no matter how good a job you do, it is just in their nature. This pt wanted Transitions phone number to call them & question their advertising claims. Even though the color is almost nil in their lightest state, it would have been an issue for her. Rather than pass the buck & give her the number, I took responsibility & remade her lenses & when she returns to pick them up I will make her an offer that will allow her to keep her Transitions as a second pair. Not all Pt's will recognize the value of our services.

Thank you Jim for the thorough explanation that I will print out & show to the patient upon delivery of her clear lenses. I think I will edit out the part on your mother-in-law though.

Jim

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Jim, you've shown great wisdom in what will be your attempt to offer her the opportunity to keep her transitions lenses. we fit about 3 pair a day, i've only done 2 pair without Crizal, and that's in 16 months. I tell folks up front that if they do not like the Transitions, for what ever reason that we will make them over to clear, only had one take me up on it in that 16 months...frankly, I have it priced pretty close to cost, so really don't care if they get it or not, just offer it as a good product, I wear it, and recommend either a clip over them or seperate driving lenses...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim ( Varmint),

I am sorry if you thought I was criticizing you in regards to your posting. I wasn't. The reason I mentioned the brochure is just that the print lends you to believe it is clear even though the top half where the film is, is not. We have plenty of patients, when you open the door, expect the world to do to what the printed words say as many live in a "black and white " world and do not think outside of the box. Seeing is believing and the truth is with the volume of patients we see in a day, prevention is worth the hassle.

The other reason I wrote how to present the product and differentiate when to use other plastic photochromics was due to the number of individuals I run into (both old and new opticians)that really don't know how to do it.

One other thing to mention is that patients think the change back to virtually clear is instantaneous and you and I both know that this is not the case.

Bev::)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bev, I did not think you were criticizing at all, but after reading my response again I realize I didn't come across that way. You know us old opticians, we don't like anything to change & we never accept constructive criticism. Go's to prove we're never too old to learn.
    Sorry,
    Jim

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had to try the experiment with a new transition lens today. Our lab is in a basement with overhead fluorescent lighting. Took the lens out the the box and stuck a leap pad on it. Took it off after a few mintues and there was a discernible difference in light/dark.
    Wow that's more sensitive then I ever imagined!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can try to dispense the transitions with a leap pad still attached to the lens!
    When they pick them up just take the pad off and show the clear lens :bbg:

Thread Information