OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vision distance blurrier in tinted sunglasses vs clear lenses

OD: -4.75 - 2.25 x 25
    2.25ADD

Lenses #1: Varilux XR 1.67 Transition XTRActive Grey w/ Crizal Sapphire
    Lenses #2. Varilux XR 1.67 Tinted Grey 3 w/ Crizal Sapphire

Point of wear measurements are also taken into account.
    Customer love vision in lenses #1 when driving but complain that she can't see well out of lenses 2 when driving. No crazy wraps on the sunglasses.

Anybody have an idea of what other things I should be checking for?

Thank you

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You thought about the Y-axis. How about the X?

Maybe not enough panto on the sunglasses because they're so honking big?

Try holding up -0.50 DCx 180 and see if she smiles.

Or tilt the sunglasses for more panto by putting the temples on the outside of the ears.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tint and Crizal aren't compatible.

Further, I wasn't aware that XR was being offered in pre-tinted 1.67 blanks yet (at least not according to E rep out of Omega Dallas I spoke with). If that's true, you either didn't get Sapphire, or you didn't get an XR.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Check for lens aberrations as I'm assuming extended tinting time in 200 degree tint pot possibly warped lens.

Polarized should always be used for sunglasses.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There's less light entering the retina, so comparing and contrasting a clear pair to a sunglass pair the optics aren't going to be as good especially if in a tinted window car? Idk that's just what I pulled out of my ***

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My go-to guess in such situations is the pt is slightly underminused. The sun lenses are so dark the attenuated light reveals the issue, while it is not noticeable in the clear. What drk says: put some minus in front of her and see if that alleviates it. Might also reveal that the clear DV isn't as good as she thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Tint and Crizal aren't compatible.
    They are in principle compatible, I have had it done. However many labs have discontinued the practice because the tint dye contaminates the TD2 bath requiring it to be changed out, which is costly and time-consuming. But it can be done if you find a lab willing to do it.
    But I don't know the policies for sure any more, I haven't tinted a lens in years. Polarized always.
    Last edited by DanLiv; 04-16-2024 at 11:27 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not understanding the "polarized always" movement. Can someone sell me on that?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    For the record, I do not think the pupil size in sunglasses increases very significantly.
    Last edited by drk; 04-16-2024 at 01:37 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Outside of pilots, I havent sold a tinted lens in over 8 years. In Florida, with all the water everywhere, it is a no brainer. Not to mention the huge benefit of dashboard reflections in windshields being eliminated.

Plus we dont have to deal with that Gray 3 solid tint coming back to us in 18 + months because it has turned purple.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 04-16-2024 at 02:30 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I'm not understanding the "polarized always" movement. Can someone sell me on that?
    My reasons, in order of importance to me:
    You can't readily put the best ARs on tint for the reasons I mentioned, so you have to go for more basic "spray it on anything" ARs. Polarized are compatible with Crizal, EX4, Zeiss Duravision
    The reduced glare from eliminating surface reflections is literally superhuman vision. Tinted lenses merely obstruct light, they don't reduce surface glare
    As Elvis Is Alive said tints do fade and change color over time with exposure to UV. Polarizing filters do not fade.
    Matching a sample is a nightmare. Tints often come out too light or too dark for pt preference. Polarized are fixed, so for better or worse pts can't change it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The main reasons that I’ve heard are…Skiers. They need to see the “ice” on their course. Pilots. Old instruments are cross polarized and can blackout/become difficult to read. And golfers. Reflections on the course help to determine the terrain and lay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    The main reasons that I’ve heard are…Skiers. They need to see the “ice” on their course. Pilots. Old instruments are cross polarized and can blackout/become difficult to read. And golfers. Reflections on the course help to determine the terrain and lay.
    As a skier in Utah, I can tell you from years of direct, personal experience, as well as having fit thousands of fellow skiers and boarders that the "not being able to see ice" thing is nothing but a myth. As an old pilot as well, I have never flown in *any* aircraft type new or old that polar lenses created any issues whatsoever. Further, there is NO AIM/FAR regulation that precludes pilots from wearing polar lenses (unlike the wildly erroneous information given out in numerous ABO classes I've sat through over the years). There are some companies, that will have a corporate rule against polar, usually due to laminated windscreen optics and not instrumentation, but even those are rare.

As far as golf goes - it's a dumb game, and I don't waste my time. Have at it! LOLZ

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I differ to your expertise Uille, these were the only plausible reasons I’ve heard of, all hearsay, to some degree I’m sure. Though I used to play golf, my game was so bad that magic glasses wouldn’t help, so I can’t comment on that reasoning either.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I differ to your expertise Uille, these were the only plausible reasons I’ve heard of, all hearsay, to some degree I’m sure. Though I used to play golf, my game was so bad that magic glasses wouldn’t help, so I can’t comment on that reasoning either.
    but at least you can see the ball in the bushes or sand trap better.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as golf goes - it's a dumb game, and I don't waste my time. Have at it! LOLZ
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    but at least you can see the ball in the bushes or sand trap better.
    Fun, if you enjoy "jerking away in the sand". See Robin Williams explaination of the game below (language).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NQIq4SrmY&t=104s
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    For the record, I do not think the pupil size in sunglasses increases very significantly.
    I observed no difference on the two people I tested under unfiltered summer sun (43˚ latitude), brown polarized, AR coated sunglasses, with a very good light seal, and clear AR coated eyeglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Since the distance vision complaint for the tinted pair is specifically for driving, is the tinted pair a shorter corridor and/or the wearer leaning back slightly when they drive?

All valid points raised by others already, so if those check out maybe consider if she's leaning back with a more aggressive add increase in front of here, might compromise the distance vision field.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nice research, RM!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What is absolutely true, though, DanLiv, is that any error in refraction comes out when the pupil enlarges in night driving, of course. (That's one reason I like to refract dilated when possible.)

(Of course the peripheral lens gets into play a little but most dilations I do are no more than 8 mm or so...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a skier in Utah, I can tell you from years of direct, personal experience, as well as having fit thousands of fellow skiers and boarders that the "not being able to see ice" thing is nothing but a myth. As an old pilot as well, I have never flown in *any* aircraft type new or old that polar lenses created any issues whatsoever. Further, there is NO AIM/FAR regulation that precludes pilots from wearing polar lenses (unlike the wildly erroneous information given out in numerous ABO classes I've sat through over the years).
    Wow, this is golden information! Thanks Uilleann.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is information from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...sunglasses.pdf

Polarized lenses are not recommended for a number of reasons.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    My reasons, in order of importance to me:
    You can't readily put the best ARs on tint for the reasons I mentioned, so you have to go for more basic "spray it on anything" ARs. Polarized are compatible with Crizal, EX4, Zeiss Duravision
    The reduced glare from eliminating surface reflections is literally superhuman vision. Tinted lenses merely obstruct light, they don't reduce surface glare
    As Elvis Is Alive said tints do fade and change color over time with exposure to UV. Polarizing filters do not fade.
    Matching a sample is a nightmare. Tints often come out too light or too dark for pt preference. Polarized are fixed, so for better or worse pts can't change it.
    100% this!

DRK if you are doing a majority tints and not polarized you are setting yourself up for remakes. "The tint isn't what I was thinking!" or "Can it be a little lighter/darker?". NO just NO. So many tint problems I literally want to punch people in the face. My boss said can we just buy a tint tank and you can do them here? Yes, that would work--IF the lenses aren't coated with AR. BUT we like to put AR on sunglass lenses for the reasons DanLiv mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Fun, if you enjoy "jerking away in the sand". See Robin Williams explaination of the game below (language).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NQIq4SrmY&t=104s
    One of his best bits EVER.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    This is information from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...sunglasses.pdf

Polarized lenses are not recommended for a number of reasons.
    Yep. Let's be crystal clear - that ancient brochure is NOT part of AIM/FAR regulation. And their "number of reasons" are laughably vague in that context. There are thousands of pilots who DO wear polar lenses, in all manner of fixed wing and rotor craft with no issue whatsoever. It's bad form in the extreme to perpetuate as "fact", or "rule" in this case that the aviation environment specifically precludes any polar lens use. Leave it up to the individual pilot - they'll thank you for it!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, NAICITPO, you're right because my optician just had to send back some CR39 lenses for more tint because they're "not dark enough" and now they're "too dark".

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not to hijack, but do you all put a flash coat on the front of your polars?

Thread Information