Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcoming objections

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Angry Overcoming objections

The hardest objections for me to overcome is "I just want what's covered," and "I just don't like any of your frames."

How do you over come these objections?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "That's okay, but we generally suggest some of the upgrades you can get with your insurance as it makes the quality of the lenses so much better with things like non-glare, shatter resistant lenses, and possibly transitions." and "That's okay! Do you have any styles you generally like or a frame in mind that we could order for you?"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good questions.

1. "I just want what's covered" can be:
    a. an opening negotiation gambit (for the sophisticated)
    b. an emotional outburst ("I don't want to spend money! I'm scared right now!")
    c. a legitimate choice
    d. another one I'm not including that someone else will.

Reaction:
    a. "OK. We have basic eye wear.". I don't negotiate. If you show any signs of weakness, like, "we'll see what we can do" then you will get into a haggling match. Life's too short for that, and it's unbecoming in a doctor's office.

b. Reassure. "OK. We have basic eye wear." But be sure to nibble. "Would you like your lenses to provide sun protection, too?" "Would you like to see some sunglasses?" "Do you know about anti-glare lenses?" "Do you want your lenses to be thinner and lighter?" "Just try on these 'Laura Branigan' collection to see what you look like in tortoise". "Would you like a no-line bifocal, or a lined bifocal?"

c. "OK. We have basic eye wear." Just show the person to the (limited, if you're smart) collection, and let them have at it.

"I just don't like any of your frames".

a. The negotiator: "I want you to give me a price concession." Again with the bargaining. Nope.
    b. The emotional outburster: "Well, why don't you come back in a few weeks when we get in new inventory/ bring in a friend to help you find something you like".
    c. The straight shooter: (Would probably not say that. Would probably just politely demur from a purchase.)

Always say "no" by saying "yes".

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Maybe they have been a victim. My wife went to a certain exam that her insurance required her to pay $15 copay. When she was checking out they ask for $65. When she ask about the charge they said they had to do a scan of her retina. It caused me to consider writing on my card with a bold sharpie that services not covered by a standard co pay needed to be discused before the service is preformed. Talk about unbecoming a professional. It was a new office in our area and she wanted to give them some support. I called them and told them that was not a good idea and borders on deceptive practicing. She used to file claims for an ophthalmologist. Her church is a short walk from this Drs office. To the thread, maybe ask the customer if they'd had a bab experience.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by owman View Post
    Maybe they have been a victim. My wife went to a certain exam that her insurance required her to pay $15 copay. When she was checking out they ask for $65. When she ask about the charge they said they had to do a scan of her retina. It caused me to consider writing on my card with a bold sharpie that services not covered by a standard co pay needed to be discused before the service is preformed. Talk about unbecoming a professional. It was a new office in our area and she wanted to give them some support. I called them and told them that was not a good idea and borders on deceptive practicing. She used to file claims for an ophthalmologist. Her church is a short walk from this Drs office. To the thread, maybe ask the customer if they'd had a bab experience.
    I've heard stories of offices that refuse to see the pt unless they have retinal photo. It doesn't matter the insurance. Made the pt pay the fee whether they wanted it or not. IMO, there are more honorable ways to pad the bottom line.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just whats covered - I would always give my lens recommendations based on RX, frame, use cases, lifestyle, etc BEFORE even looking at "whats covered". If they still choose a Cr39 Adapter progressive for a -7.00 sph OU with +3.00 add, then I did all I could and the poor performing eyewear is on the purchaser.

I dont like your frames - if it is a legit opinion, ask what they would rather see. If you get enough similar feedback, change up your selection. Unless you are an ultra high end boutique, you should have at least one offering in various price points. I've seen too many practices that only carry frames that are in the budget range and all look the same.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 04-10-2024 at 03:34 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Know when it is time to upsell or just cut your losses and save your labor dollar.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If they want the absolute bare minimum that's when they are getting in office finished lenses bought for the most minimal price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I've heard stories of offices that refuse to see the pt unless they have retinal photo. It doesn't matter the insurance. Made the pt pay the fee whether they wanted it or not. IMO, there are more honorable ways to pad the bottom line.
    I'm in an office that functions like that and it makes sense to me. VSP is paying absolutely nothing to the docs for services, and getting what is probably $20-30 for an hour of work just isn't going to cut it.

For us MRI is mandatory, but we always make sure to let people know before any services are provided.
    Last edited by Michael22; 04-10-2024 at 05:45 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    Know when it is time to upsell or just cut your losses and save your labor dollar.
    I agree with this.

I have a small frame collection that is always covered. Small because I don't want to overemphasize choice in that genre. Small because I want the low-service-fee patient to select their own frame, so I make it easier by having limited choices.

Same with lenses. CR39 SV or FT. No PAL or poly (unless covered option).

And yet, after they sit down, you can nibble. "Do you want thinner and lighter lenses for $40?" "Do you want abc for 123?"

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
    If they want the absolute bare minimum that's when they are getting in office finished lenses bought for the most minimal price.

I'm in an office that functions like that and it makes sense to me. VSP is paying absolutely nothing to the docs for services, and getting what is probably $20-30 for an hour of work just isn't going to cut it.

For us MRI is mandatory, but we always make sure to let people know before any services are provided.
    That's why some practices are opening or shifting to not taking insurance.

We include an OCT/retina image in the exam price and package price lenses with Trivex and AR, but we don't have to deal with the high volume, low margin world of MVC.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    That's why some practices are opening or shifting to not taking insurance.

We include an OCT/retina image in the exam price and package price lenses with Trivex and AR, but we don't have to deal with the high volume, low margin world of MVC.
    If I could find an office that doesn't work with insurance I would jump on that immediatly. That sounds so nice lol. It does get very tiring having to explain to every patient why they are going to have to pay $60 instead of the $15 exam co-pay that's on the insurance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I could find an office that doesn't work with insurance I would jump on that immediatly. That sounds so nice lol. It does get very tiring having to explain to every patient why they are going to have to pay $60 instead of the $15 exam co-pay that's on the insurance.
    my last office was ophthalmology, pt's get just as upset being told we only accept their medical insurance and theyll be OOP for the glx.. current office i feel like my pt's are less likely to bite my head off when they can see what their ins is and isnt covering and *why* theyre getting what isnt covered

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The unethical part comes when they get surprize. Just tell them up front. So they can have a choice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vision care plans do not (and may not) dictate your practices and policies. One is not forced to offer or provide "just what my insurance covers", one MAY say no. Accepting customer demands is a choice a practice makes, and if one is unhappy with the consequences, make different choices. There is a middle ground between struggling to upgrade people from basic insurance and dropping all MVC.

We retinal image everyone, and in the exam the doctor explains the benefits and requests to review the images with them for an additional fee. If they demure, fine no charge, no review, dilate. But we have 99% compliance, and no one is unaware of the fee at checkout. Be proud of your services, explain the value to them instead of telling it at them, and be upfront and confident in your fees. (I have a hard time believing it is anything but a rare occurence that offices try to "sneak" fees in without informing patients. However I readily believe that people do not listen and hear what they want to. The miscommunications stem from the combination of a glossed-over statement of fees by staff and a patient failure to pay attention.)

For eyewear, if you start at the bottom it is a stretch to get to the top. If you start at the top, it is a stretch to get to the bottom. If a customer opens with "just what my insurance covers", I begin a discussion about why we do not provide the only basic eyewear covered by their plan. Everyone wants great eyewear, and great eyewear must provide excellent comfort, clarity, and quality through lightweight materials and customized lens designs, the clearest and easiest to maintain ARs, durable scratch resistance, and well-constructed frames. We make great eyewear, and no insurance plan covers all of it. I will discuss in detail the importance of what we put into eyewear to help customers understand the value and be comfortable with the expense. But there is no negotiation. If we believe the elevated things we do are so great, why would we concede to do less? What is covered by insurance is not great eyewear, we are no better at it than anyone else, we decline to do it. They don't have to get their eyewear from us, they may get their eyewear from somewhere that will give them what they want.

I lose sales (not as much as you think), but I gain ones that might not have been worthwhile had I not been firm in my conviction. The profits from those customers who value and want my service make up for the losses on those who don't, and the the time saved on less work is devoted to better service.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about when the patient is educated and picks out options not covered in full by their insurance and is made aware of the cost but when the glasses come in they act like this is new to them. Had a patient do this this week, I know I walked them through each item (lens, AR, material, etc.) and told the cost to him which is dictated by his insurance and educated him on why he would benefit from these things. This patient really looked me dead in the face and called me a liar, said I never told him he would have to pay for these options and that he has never had to pay anything before for his glasses(wouldn't tell us where he used to go). The dang glasses have already been made with the non covered options he picked out (tried saying I picked everything and they had no input) and the claim has already been done. what would ya'll do in this situation?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    What about when the patient is educated and picks out options not covered in full by their insurance and is made aware of the cost but when the glasses come in they act like this is new to them. Had a patient do this this week, I know I walked them through each item (lens, AR, material, etc.) and told the cost to him which is dictated by his insurance and educated him on why he would benefit from these things. This patient really looked me dead in the face and called me a liar, said I never told him he would have to pay for these options and that he has never had to pay anything before for his glasses(wouldn't tell us where he used to go). The dang glasses have already been made with the non covered options he picked out (tried saying I picked everything and they had no input) and the claim has already been done. what would ya'll do in this situation?
    You didn’t collect fees at checkout? Your fault.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=DanLiv;576055

….If a customer opens with "just what my insurance covers", I begin a discussion about why we do not provide the only basic eyewear covered by their plan…..[/QUOTE]

It’s been a long time since I took insurance, but they used to mandate that you carry at least some inventory of “covered” items, (like frames). How do you get around this, or do they no longer require participants to carry those?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Last time I checked, they did, but it was long ago. Even had a minimum amount.

I think you have to have something. Heck, sometimes you have to beg people to use their benefits, and having some totally covered materials gives you a few more pennies.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    this is why we require half down before we start them

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Last time I checked, they did, but it was long ago. Even had a minimum amount.

I think you have to have something. Heck, sometimes you have to beg people to use their benefits, and having some totally covered materials gives you a few more pennies.
    we dont have anything thats "fully covered" but we do have frames for $60 w/o a warranty and/or value packages for those w/o ins

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That should cover it on all plans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    It’s been a long time since I took insurance, but they used to mandate that you carry at least some inventory of “covered” items, (like frames). How do you get around this, or do they no longer require participants to carry those?
    You are correct they do still mandate 100 frames available that are covered, so I do have those. Luckily the frame reimbursements aren't SO low that you have to provide crap, you can get plenty of decent frames. Though frames I find it's easiest to interest customers in upgrading, because that's more the "want" than the "need" portion. Lenses have no stipulations on minimum or type of product provided.
    Last edited by DanLiv; 04-11-2024 at 03:54 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You didn’t collect fees at checkout? Your fault.
    I tried, when I told the patient his total he said "okay just call me when they come in" and promptly walked right out. I typically get at least half of the total before they leave if not the full payment, this was the first time anyone has just thought they could walk out. He is willing to pay for them fortunately after we had to talk him through why he has a balance at all, but man this guy threw us for a loop. Maybe we need to put a sign out saying something like "payment or partial payment for glasses is mandatory before the order will be put in"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Insurance reimbursement is so small, you have to go to a policy of “Payment required at time of service”. If you don’t want to be the bad guy, throw it on their insurance, that THEY require copayments prior to starting a custom pair of glasses.

Private pay you can go to 50% required to start an Rx, but it’s always better to let them know the total, then ask, how they would like to pay. Let them ask for a deposit, then, it’s 50%.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Optical 24/7 for the win. Perfect advice.

Thread Information