Thread: CK information

Bad address email on file Corrie's Avatar

Question CK information

Hi all,
    I have been asked by someone regarding CK. I really have no information regarding this since I have been somewhat out of the loop up here in the mountains.

She mentioned it having something to do with Presbyopia. Any information I can pass along would be appreciated.

I would like to say "hey" to Steve and Daryll. Long time no see

Connie Devine

OptiWizard
    Ck Conductive Keratoplasty, Uses a small probe in the preipheral cornea to deliver high frequency radio waves that cause the cornea to steepen to allow for correction of hyperopia. Probably effective up to +3.00. A bonus side effect is that it causes some asphericity of the cornea which allows a presbyope to get inhanced near vision with out additional lenses. It is not currently approved for use as a presbyopic correction but is being actively investigated for this use. No cutting involved and doesn't impact the visual axis but low range of effectiveness and some question about long term in pact on endothelial function. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Stopper; 07-14-2003 at 09:35 PM.

Bad address email on file Corrie's Avatar
    Thanks a lot Stopper. This is just the information that I needed.
    Connie
    :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Stopper said:
    Ck Conductive Keratoplasty, Uses a small probe in the preipheral cornea to deliver high frequency radio waves that cause the cornea to steepen to allow for correction of hyperopia. Probably effective up to +3.00. A bonus side effect is that it causes some asphericity of the cornea which allows a presbyope to get inhanced near vision with out additional lenses. It is not currently approved for use as a presbyopic correction but is being actively investigated for this use. No cutting involved and doesn't impact the visual axis but low range of effectiveness and some question about long term in pact on endothelial function. Hope that helps.
    To add to this most excellent answer.............the population you are looking at would be low-moderate hyperopic emerging presbyopes that want to pay more than LASIK.........

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Stopper, you said that CK is not currently approved for use on presbyopes? Well, I listen to Ron Chapman(dj) on morning drive out of Dallas KLUV 98.7 most mornings, and he for sure is promoting CK done by an MD in Dallas that is "specifically" to get rid of those "reading glasses" (presbyopia). etc . so if it's not approved, what gives?

OptiWizard
    Vitalogy
    That is the population that it will help. The only problem is that hyperopia in this population tends to be progressive so the benefit may be short lived.

Texas Ranger,
    Are saying that a refractive surgeon might be using slightly inaccurate or misleading info about the benefits of refractive surgery. I'm aghast. Please note sarcasm. Actually I'm not sure he/she is prohibited from making those claims but the manufacturer is not allowed to make those claims until they prove it to the FDA . So, the surgeon may not be doing anything wrong. I'm certainly not an expert on the FDA and advertising laws. That's just my understanding of it. If Anyone has more info, I'd love to know.

Also I said it is not aproved for correction of presbyopia not that it is not approved for use on presbyopes. Minor difference in wording but different meaning

Thread Information