Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigating the blue light protection scam

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup thanks alot to the software companies, they are working on the night shift modes, like snapchat and Instagram. but most people do not know how to do it sadly, HaHAha, even i searched for it on a website. And Did you guys head about the RayBan AI Glasses, i just read about on a website, really amazing features.
    Last edited by sabastian; 03-21-2024 at 05:58 AM. Reason: read about new AI glasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You're absolutely right about the inflated fear surrounding blue light damage from screens. Research studies are currently underway that analyze how blue light glasses interfere with the adverse effects of digital screen exposure but the effect is not proven.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I really get annoyed when I see pts who purchased eyewear elsewhere that are photochromic with the BLF AR Barney tint. STOP people, use a good quality AR with Transitions, no BLF needed.
    People only run behind cheap products, they have no clue what are they doing to themselves.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    THERE. IS. NO. "DANGER".

AT ALL.

Scientific studies have already borne this out. We do our patients a massive mis-service in continuing to perpetuate ANY of this crap. Let's put it to bed folks, and get back to actual scientifically based medicine and dispensing.

Good night, and good luck.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah well good luck trying to get sleep with your circadian rythms all screwed up, science-denier!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Yeah well good luck trying to get sleep with your circadian rythms all screwed up, science-denier!!
    Heh - what sleep? I've got plenty of stresses at work to keep me awake at night as it is! :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/06/healt...cet/index.html

I'm no denier, this is me

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    When asked by a patient about it, my approach is to explain that there isn't definitive consensus yet as to how much ocular "damage" HEV light causes. (This is a hot button issue apparently and some opticians get extremely defensive over this, despite it being true that not all scientists/research has come to a definitive conclusion that blue light does cause ocular/retinal damage. I think it's important to not make assertions that something is definitely true when we don't know that yet.) I explain that we get exposed to blue light outside in the sunshine too. I tell them that there is evidence to suggest that blue light can make your eyes feel more strained or tired, due to those light rays falling short of the retina. I also remind them that any time you are staring at a screen, be it your phone or computer, you tend to blink less, which can also contribute to eye tiredness and strain and dry eye, so it is important to take breaks to look away and blink.

I have had a patient tell me that they believe the blue blocker helps prevent migraines for them. Maybe that's true or maybe that's the placebo effect. Who knows.

If they ask about blue blocker and really want it, I just put them in Crizal Prevencia or another ar w/ blue blocker, or if they are already adding Transitions to their lenses, I explain that it already blocks out most of the HEV light so it's redundant to add blue blocker. I don't really push blue-blocker as a separate lens option, but if a patient brings it up or complains about digital eye strain, I will mention it but with all the disclaimers I mentioned above.
    There indeed lies the rub. We stare at our computers, not blinking and thus drying our corneas out and if we just took the time to keep our eyes moist we probably would have less eye issues with these wonderful devices.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have both Transitions and non Transitions lenses and I certainly can’t tell any difference. I always would say that some people feel their eyes are more comfortable but others noticed no difference.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Think about it. Can eyes "feel light"? No, they can't. They can feel extreme high intensity illumination outdoors or something, but not something puny like an LED.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hahaha nice motivation.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also working on it.

Thread Information