Thread: Any insights

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any insights

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have been thinking about pursuing a career in optometry. I'm curious about how the role of optometrists has changed in recent years. Can anyone share insights into how the profession has evolved? Additionally, what skills are becoming more crucial in the optical industry nowadays? I'd really appreciate any advice or information you can share! Thanks a lot!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you have an undergraduate degree with the Sciences courses needed in mandatory science courses? You can go to the following link for complete requirements: https://optometriceducation.org/wp-c...ted-3-6-23.pdf. I short: GENERAL REQUIREMENTS for most optometry programs include at least one year of Biology or Zoology, General Chemistry, General Physics, English and College Math. Contact the schools or colleges directly by visiting their websites to confirm prerequisite courses and to learn whether AP credits and/or on-line credits are accepted to complete prerequisites. Bio and Org Chemistry. Micro, Calculus, and so on.

Optometry is doing well. Forward thinking and progressive, hey have positioned themselves as primary eye care. Lots of jobs and pays well.
    Now, some will say it crowded, but try to find one!

Considerations: You age, and ROI. If you can handle the coursework, it's a good opportunity.

Find an OD and discuss.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GENERAL REQUIREMENTS for most optometry programs include at least one year of Biology or Zoology, General Chemistry, General Physics, English and College Math. Contact the schools or colleges
    directly by visiting their websites to confirm prerequisite courses and to learn whether AP credits and/or on-line credits are accepted to complete prerequisites.

It's not easy and will take time. Salary is very good. Age is a factor. You won't be able to work as you go through, so funding can be an issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn’t discourage you if you are passionate about the field, but becoming a Dentist takes as long, costs as much and your starting pay is almost double. Plus you get to deal with lots of cash patients comparatively.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My opinion...Optometry is nearing a cross roads. Tele-Optometry is gaining momentum by all the big players. Like Pharmacists, it will eventually be monopolized and run by big corporations that only look at the bottom line. In the very near future OD's role in eyecare will be diminished and replaced with AI.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I can see, there are increasingly less and less independent optoms or independently owned optometry practices. The big corporations are buying out all the small practices. And with that I have noticed that the optometrists in my area are pretty much only doing exams for glasses and contacts. They don't seem to do eye health checks or treat acute problems anymore, as my office (ophthalmology) ends up having to seeing them because no one else would. I have a few friends who are optoms and it seems like when you work for corporate, you're expected to churn out as many exams that result in glasses/contact sales as possible and the scope of care is shrinking, as well as vision insurance reimbursements. Now we have these tele-optometry services to contend with too. I would see if you can shadow an optometrist or two in your area and see what their genuine opinions are as well as what the job is like.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you can get into a good OD school, and you are willing to consider different places to live, and you don't go into too much debt, it's still a good profession.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    If you can get into a good OD school, and you are willing to consider different places to live, and you don't go into too much debt, it's still a good profession.
    Who are you and what have you done with drk???

Thread Information