No announcement yet.

Interesting Optical Facts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essilor (via Bernard Maitenaz) may have designed the first commercially viable PAL, but Dr Estelle Glancy may have prior to that been the true designer of the first PAL.

Varilux Comfort (including its various iterations over the years) probably remains the single most successful PAL design globally since its release in 1993, and definitely is among the longest lasting PAL designs on the global market.

Seiko and Zeiss pioneered the designs of PAL with the progressive optics on the back surface.

While Zeiss Individual PALs were the first to be more widely known for custom POW compensation, Rodenstock may have actually beaten them to it a few years earlier with the Impression ILT design.

Nikon actually started as an ophthalmic lens manufacturer before branching into camera lenses. Conversely, Hoya started in another industry before diversifying into ophthalmic lenses. Both later became more renowned for the newer products in their portfolio as opposed to their original industries.

Comment

Originally posted by KrystleClear View Post
      Hand neutralization meaning... using a lens clock to guesstimate lens power with the nominal lens formula? Isn't that required knowledge for the ABO exam?
      Using trial lenses to cancel out the rx until you are left with plano, and work backwards so you know the power of the original lens (e.g. +1.00D lens is neutralised by a -1.00D trial lens), all while finding the accurate axis of the lens. All you need is a set of trial lenses and a straight line to look at. Oh, and a marker pen.
      Last edited by Loki; 03-09-2024, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Neutralization has nothing to do with a Lens Clock. You are referring to Nominal Power.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
          The de facto standard for high R.I. lens materials: A lens material brand chosen by opticians worldwide gains growing consumers interest.

I believe more sulfur increases the index of refraction to make them thinner and why they stink so much when made with a dry edger.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

SPEAKING OF HIHG-INDEX!!! Whenever you can, MILL YOUR HIGH INDEX! It reduces water waste and smell.

Comment

I think Hoya made watch parts

Comment

Originally posted by Lensman11 View Post
              I believe it was Armorlite who was first to make plastic lenses.
              The abbreviation stands for “Columbia Resin #39,” because it was the 39th formula of a thermosetting plastic developed by the Columbia Resins project in 1940. Signet Armorlite Lens Company in California is credited with manufacturing the first CR-39 eyeglass lenses in 1947

Comment

Working...
              X