Thread: Zeiss Energize Me PAL?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Zeiss Energize Me PAL?

So, my Zeiss rep visited, polite as always, and due to some recent increased turnaround times for edging jobs by my usual Essilor/Hoya labs, I'm taking a second look at the Zeiss progressive lens portfolio. Yes, my boss is kind enough to not restrict my lens dispensing by manufacturer.

To be sure, previously I've not had issues with the Zeiss range (ranging from SmartLife, to Precision before that, and... whatever was before that).

But, I'm finally paying attention to the Energize Me lens series. Specifically, the progressive lens in that range.

Now, my rep claims the design is a softer design relative to other Zeiss progressives (ok, no problems there). Next, they tell me it's intended for patients who mostly wear contact lenses (ok... still somewhat feasible IMHO). Then they tell me the Energize Me progressive design sort of favours hyperopes. Which piqued my interest.

See, my eternally weird mind is wondering if this means the Energize Me progressive may be optimized for patients with flatter corneas, similar to how DriveSafe lenses were optimised for a slightly wider pupil diameter. The flatter cornea theory seems feasible between the recommendation for heavy contact lens users (oh hello again, silicone hydrogel lens overuse) and hyperopes, and I'm wondering if it's similarly applicable to post-LASIK patients. The rep didn't have an answer (understandably, we had a laugh over how I tend to overthink my progressive lenses), and told me they're wondering if they'd get a straightforward answer from HQ if they asked.

Anyone got any possible light to shed on this? As I'm currently working in an area with a sizable demographic of contact lens users and post-LASIK patients as well (current practice right next to a hospital AND a university, in fact), if these lenses are indeed optimized as such, then I would definitely be looking to experiment with them on patients whose corneas might be flatter as opposed to just hyperopes or contact lens wearers.

PS - Yes, between up to six cups of coffee daily and some other, rather colourful extracurricular activities, I tend to spend way too much of my free time thinking about progressive lenses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It sounds unlikely to me that it has anything to do with corneal curvature.

Optimized for hyperopes probably has to do with the softness feature.

Intended for CL wearers is baffling. Maybe it's a price-point thing.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Agreed on the hyperopes favouring soft design bit, that's been true across the board for all manufacturers and designs.

Regarding the CL wearers thing, doesn't seem like a price point factor... here it's priced not too far behind the Varilux Comfort Max, for instance.

Anyway, so happens the last couple of weeks have been nothing but myopes and hyperopes solidly against PALs, so I've yet to dispense any of these yet.

Thread Information