Thread: Can't see / can't hear

Occupation
    Optometrist

Can't see / can't hear

What do we do for hearing aid patients with temple adjustments?

I guess there are no uniform hearing aids, but I see this type often: behind the ear. Also known as "hey, those ears were made to hold up your glasses, not your hearing aids!"

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/types

They're the size of a small suitcase.

And you have to get a temple somewhere back there!

What do you do?
    Thin as possible temples?

And if you do NOT do thin temples, then if you properly bend around the back of the ear, it forces the hearing aid outwards and they look like:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    most of my hearing aid patients like the sportier temples, they tend to fit them better or we find frames with suuuuper thin temples

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ja, not too much girth, and as always, perfectly match the contour of the subject's temple area.

I learned how to take mold impressions but stayed with optics only. I did make a couple earmolds for myself for use when concert decibels were outrageously high. So much better than cigarette butts.
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 02-13-2024 at 12:56 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have hearing aids. Honestly depends on patient. I like all sorts of temples, but the best fits for me regardless of thickness:
    Temple should hug close to head and kinda push the hearing aids out towards the ears (not in towards the skull). I usually put an inward curve at the temple bend to make sure it kind of glides between the hearing aid and skull. Obviously not so much that you're putting a ton of pressure on the nerve cluster back there/pushing the ears out a lot, it should basically contour as close as you can. Newer hearing aids are a little more slim fit, so this tends to be easier than earlier models that were chonkers. Obviously thin temples make everything easier, but that's just not always in the cards for a variety of reasons. Doing temple bend adjustments at fitting can help weed out any that aren't necessarily comfortable for the patient

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would imagine that most zyl temples would be worse than most metal temples.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some patients preferred “library temple” (reference modern sports temples). Especially if they preferred zyls. Just straighten out the temple and contour around their particular noggin. Most all of my patients the last few years of working had in ear and didn’t pose an adjustment/frame selection issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a lot of patients with hearing aids. The ones that have the little wrap around part behind the ear *sometimes* like library temples, but most are fine with a normal temple that's fitted closely to the skull behind the ear or straightened out to mimic a library style. Far too often though, they forget to wear their hearing aides when they come in for appointments/glasses fittings, which is frustrating not only for fitting but also they can't hear anything, but that's another story.

Oakley has a lot of library styles and the metal frames have the rubber grips on the temples that seem to stick to the head well, and some are quite slender and streamlined. I have also suggested them to folks who can't stand temples touching behind their ears and get headaches from it.
    Krystle

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I would imagine that most zyl temples would be worse than most metal temples.
    For me personally, it literally doesn't matter. I've got a couple pairs with thicker zyl temples and it's no better or worse than my thinner metal temples with slimmer profiles. Of course, I know exactly what I am getting into and understand that I may be making a small sacrifice for my fashion preferences, so take that potential bias with a grain of salt. I also personally don't like the library-style temples because they feel weird, but that has nothing to do w/ my hearing aids. Some of the Oakley frames I have tried on can sometimes feel like they push the hearing aids even further out than a standard pair of glasses (not all of em, though, just the ones that seem to have more curvature on the temples; maybe they're just landing in a weird spot on my head due to my own personal topography)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cable.
    Something with cable temples I have found work well with hearing aids.

Thread Information