Thread: Shoplifting deterrants revisited

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Shoplifting deterrants revisited

We are consider means of dissuading shoplifters from stealing in our office. What ways have you found to help, I know good customer service is key but has anyone found a reliable physical deterrant, ie. sensor tag, cctv, etc.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Electronic tags work very well when you hook them up to the shock collar of a doberman pincer at the door.

OK maybe a little overkill but on a serious note a little common sense is actually the best deterrant. You only have to look at your best selling frames to have an idea of what would be most desirable to a shoplifter and then locate these frames in good view or make them most difficult for shoplifters to aquire. Premium suns should definately be behind glass since most are usually most vulnerable to theft.

my 2 pennies,
    Kevin

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Arch Crown makes a "security sensor" that we apply to the temple. If done proper, you have to cut it off with a knife. We have been using these for years and there is no known problem of shoplifting. I don't know about these security cameras that act like real cameras. Of course the best defense is to have someone present (from your office) in the dispensary at all times. If that person gets busy with too many folks or someone tries the distraction tactic, just make sure someone else is there with your help or watching nearby!
    JB

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with JSBell and PAkev. We used to have sensor tags at an office I worked at. All you had to do to deactivate it was puncture it or slice it off with a box knife.

We found that we were being "worked" by pros. If no one kept an eye out, the sensor tags were useless because the thieves knew how to get around them. Keeping all of your frame displays or boards full will help. If you see an empty space, you know that something is out of place or stolen.

Shoplifting problem

Hello
    Shoplifting was a problem for us a while back, when we noticed that one flexible 3 piece frame was gone from our shelves. The best frames lie in glass stands locked. And now to see if the shoplifter would steal again, the glass shelves are always locked and now if customer requests certain frame, our staff make sure that children of customer wouldn't by childish foolilshness take a frame and put it into the bag of the parent.

There are many gadgets against shoplifting but the best yet and still the best is "being 100% Attentive"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb theft

for those of you who work in chain stores and that type of enviorment, and you have a number of people walk in all at the same time, just pick up the phone, ait a few seconds and then in a voice that can be heard, say SECURITY CODE 30, or what ever number you want to use. let them think.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Good one Harry!

We often use the roll over lines as a "stone age" private messaging system during the day. Sending a security message loud enough for a suspicious person to hear would probably have a higher success rate than a number of other methods.

Bad address email on file
    Hello,

Our staffs are trained to detect a buyer from a loiter.They approach suspicious person with greetings and "Can I help you sir?" and ask them for latest optical prescription,their budget,occupation,etc and stay with them until they leave our dispensary.It works well

Rgd,
    Optom

Thread Information