Thread: Posterior cortical atrophy and Alzheimer's...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Posterior cortical atrophy and Alzheimer's...

"Researchers and physicians are working to establish a standard definition and diagnostic criteria for posterior cortical atrophy (PDF). Symptoms

The symptoms of posterior cortical atrophy can vary from one person to the next and can change as the condition progresses. The most common symptoms are consistent with damage to the posterior cortex of the brain, an area responsible for processing visual information. Consistent with this neurological damage are slowly developing difficulties with visual tasks such as reading a line of text, judging distances, distinguishing between moving objects and stationary objects, inability to perceive more than one object at a time, disorientation, and difficulty maneuvering, identifying, and using tools or common objects. Some patients experience hallucinations. Other symptoms can include difficulty performing mathematical calculations or spelling, and many people with posterior cortical atrophy experience anxiety, possibly because they know something is wrong. In the early stages of posterior cortical atrophy, most people do not have markedly reduced memory, but memory can be affected in later stages."

These symptoms fit a long time patients complaints perfectly. Obviously way above my pay grade but sometimes I know I can be too quick to dismiss vision complaints when the doc's are saying 20/20 can be achieved.

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...rtical-atrophy

I wandered over to this site after reading an article in today's Washington Post. I'm not sure if you'll be able to read it without a subscription.

"There had been early clues, but it was a family game of dominoes around Christmas 2021 that convinced Susan Stewart that something was wrong with her husband. Then 75 and retired, Charlie Stewart struggled to match the dots on different domino tiles.

Susan assumed it was a vision problem. Charlie’s memory was fine, and he had no family history of dementia. But months later the Marin County, Calif., couple were shocked to learn that his domino confusion was a sign he had a lesser-known variant of Alzheimer’s disease. For patients with this variant, called posterior cortical atrophy, the disease begins with problems affecting vision rather than memory."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...-problems-pca/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very interesting, and good information to know.
    Krystle

Thread Information