Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High minus lens forms

I thought this was informative

Explore the different lens shapes to improve a high minus Rx. Use Chadwick Optical’s Chart to easily estimate the thickness and thinness for different indexes

I like that.

I use the lens thickness calculator on this site quite often when a pt wants to know the thickness of a lens with a given frame & material:

Comment

Those are really cool lenses. I wish more digital labs put the effort into custom lenticularization like that. I'm sure it's a PIA to do and disruptive to a high volume production lab. But if it were available from my primary labs, instead of small unknown labs, and in premium lenses, instead of all house product, I would use these types a lot more often. Especially for high minus wrpa frames, I've done a handful through specialty labs and they look amazing.
      www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

Here are some other cool options.

Comment

This formula is incomplete as it’s not considering lens final size. Also, percentages often misled.

Comment

Dr K this is an awesome tool to teach newbies. Thanks for this!

Comment

Ignore that. I'm talking about the lens forms.

Comment

It's a rough but valid estimate.

I understand that the cosmesis is better with the blended surface designs, but I would strongly recommend against using them due to poor tolerance compared to standard lenticulars.
                Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

I've never done a blended lenticular. So...interesting you have that experience. It does seem weird to blend out a ridge. It seems it would cause a blur ring off center. Who knows what it could do to peripheral acuity? But I guess the minification is so much it could be like looking through a sleazy motel door peeper. It's a "field expander" of sorts.

(Note of interest: in Low Vision Clinic in the days of yore, we would actually have a door peeper to show patients with retinitis pigmentosa. They could hold it up as needed for a quick survey of the scene before walking into an open manhole a la Mr. Magoo. Of course, we never had any real patients.)

Comment

Well, while we're on the subject of high minus and edge thickness, I've come up with a couple of rules of thumb (That means: rough. That means: go ahead and argue your case):

1. If a VISIBLE minus lens edge exceeds 5mm, it's fugly.
                    a. that means a plastic eyewire gives you 3-4 mm of bonus
                    b. that means a semi-rimless or rimless is working against you
                    c. that means a 1-2 mm metal eyewire helps only a pinch. It's the "neutral state".

2. When doing edge thickness calculations, if the reduction in edge thickness is not greater than a millimeter, it's just not worth it. Two millimeters? Now we're talking.
                    a. it may be better to set this rule of thumb up as a percentage, such as "if it's not at least 20% thinner, fugedaboudit", but I haven't tested that theory.

Comment

Remember, as a general rule of thumb (a few exceptions), thinner lens materials are inferior optically. I always explain this to pts and explain the trade-off. I don't recommend thinner lenses unless there is a 2mm or greater reduction in edge thickness.

Some pts are hyper focused on thickness so I do whatever makes them happy even if it wouldn't be my personal choice.

As we all know, frame selection (A measurement, decentration, etc) plays a huge part in the outer edge thickness for high minus.

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post
                        Well, while we're on the subject of high minus and edge thickness, I've come up with a couple of rules of thumb (That means: rough. That means: go ahead and argue your case):

1. If a VISIBLE minus lens edge exceeds 5mm, it's fugly. r u fat shaming?
                        a. that means a plastic eyewire gives you 3-4 mm of bonus Wear black in layers with a colorful scarf
                        b. that means a semi-rimless or rimless is working against you embrace the horror
                        c. that means a 1-2 mm metal eyewire helps only a pinch. It's the "neutral state". Spanx

2. When doing edge thickness calculations, if the reduction in edge thickness is not greater than a millimeter, it's just not worth it. Two millimeters? Now we're talking.
                        a. it may be better to set this rule of thumb up as a percentage, such as "if it's not at least 20% thinner, fugedaboudit", but I haven't tested that theory.
                        comments in red

Comment

Plastic eyewire:

Rimless:

Comment

Her hair at the BET awards was FABULOUS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                              It's a rough but valid estimate.

I understand that the cosmesis is better with the blended surface designs, but I would strongly recommend against using them due to poor tolerance compared to standard lenticulars.
                              Seconded (though from your informative posts over the years, this is hardly a surprise!)

Blended lenticulars are something I have almost always failed to switch existing conventional lenticular wearers into, and I dread the day the labs stop making conventional lenticulars.

Comment

Working...
                              X