Thread: NCLE Practical... HELPP!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused NCLE Practical... HELPP!!

So I've passed my ABO and NCLE... I'm due to take my practical exams over the next couple of weeks. Studying so far is going fine. I've got a good grip on concepts across the board. However, where I am *desperately* struggling is figuring out how in the world to use this Keratometer simulator... I've heard it time and time again that we're being tested on how to use the simulators more so than how we are to use the instruments, however in my three years of working in optical I have never once encountered the keratometer for any reason. I've watched the very slim few tutorials on YouTube that exist and explain how to use it, however despite my tenacity in trying to mimic- I'm still somehow just a couple of points off on the simulators, usually in diopters as axis is usually within threshold.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to learn this by the 18th of this month without basically going in to fail? Unfortunately the doctor at my location is very much so part time and not often available at all to even talk nonetheless teach me anything. Should I just start calling other eye doctors? Is there any hope to teach myself without doing it in person? Does anyone know how many questions relatively are keratometry based just in case I don't have much of a chance to learn otherwise? I'm having no issues with anything else pertaining to contact lenses, just this! Thanks much <3

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://www.youtube.com/@LaramyKOptical

one of my favorite resources.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How is it we can help? I can answer specific questions.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There should also be a tutorial for using the "digital" instruments if you are taking the NCSORB practical where you can play around with the keratometer, lensometer, etc.

Always adjust the eyepiece first :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More specifically it’s about the calibration on the simulation. Everything I’ve studied and the videos I’ve watched all say to superimpose the plus and minus signs but when I do that in the practice simulator provided by the ABO/NCLE website- my answers are coming up close, but still out of threshold and therefore marked as wrong. I’m having a really hard time figuring out where exactly THEY want me to calibrate to in order to document the K-readings.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am having this problem too. I have practiced on a keratometer in real life before but not in a while so I know basics of how to use it. However all my readings are off just enough to be out of tolerance. I am about to throw my computer across the room. Honestly though I am trying to find a NCSORB simulator since maybe I will have better luck and either are accepted in my state. I just really wanted to take the ABO NCLE Practicals instead of the NCSORB because it is less money for me lol.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I got a chance to use it. It's correct, and very neat, but it's super-touchy. More touchy than in real life, or at least in the real world that degree of precision is unwarranted.

I had better luck when I zoomed in on the computer screen to make everything as large as possible so it could be dead on perfect.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anyone know if for Ks it is always a regular astigmatism?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regular astigmatism means that the two principal meridians are 90 degrees apart. For example, horizontally 43.50x 45 OD; 44.50x135. the difference is 90. Corrected by spectacles or contact lenses.

Irregular astigmatism means that the principal meridians are not 90 degrees apart. Spectacle lenses are 90 degrees, so irregular astigmatism is not correctable with spectacles. An example- keratoconus.

I hope this is helpful.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Regular astigmatism means that the two principal meridians are 90 degrees apart. For example, horizontally 43.50x 45 OD; 44.50x135. the difference is 90. Corrected by spectacles or contact lenses.

Irregular astigmatism means that the principal meridians are not 90 degrees apart. Spectacle lenses are 90 degrees, so irregular astigmatism is not correctable with spectacles. An example- keratoconus.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks but my question was more if anyone knew if on the NCLE practical exam, when using the simulator if the meridians would always be 90 degrees apart?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just thought I would come back and let y’all know I passed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nice!

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Your fun is only beginning!

Thread Information