Thread: Express tracing service

Occupation
    Optometrist

Express tracing service

This is new to me, and I like it:

A patient with an ancient frame wants new lenses, but doesn't have satisfactory back-up spex for when we send the frame to the lab.

Our lab recommended we send in the frame, they trace and send it right back, we return it to the patient while they make the lenses, and when the new lenses arrive we glaze them. Pretty slick!

Am I the only one that is thinking "why didn't I think of this, before"?

(*P.S. "Glaze" makes me think of donuts. From where did that term arise?)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sounds like a very good idea! Better yet is to get a tracer. Glaze came from widow replacement conscripted by us.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most patients I've dealt with that are "one pair only" as described above won't give them up for the tracing even if the turnaround for tracing is quite a few days less than waiting for the completed pair to arrive.

Easiest solution is an in-office tracer for lenses only orders. I've even had a lab supply one to an office at no charge.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wouldn't work for people who absolutely need glasses to do simple day to day tasks. if they have a back-up then maybe it would work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love when people cant leave glasses to glaze the new lenses. They are buying a complete set!
    On the other note if I would be your lab instead of express tracing that will take at least 3 days for the customer, I would offer to Express service on the whole job ready in 3 days! (could be for an extra fee.)

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our santinelli tracer can do this and I offer to do it for some patients that dont have a back up pair. That way they dont have to wait while the lenses are being edged and any of the staff can swap the lenses out if I'm not available. Also good for saving semi-rimless shape data.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    Our santinelli tracer can do this and I offer to do it for some patients that dont have a back up pair. That way they dont have to wait while the lenses are being edged and any of the staff can swap the lenses out if I'm not available. Also good for saving semi-rimless shape data.
    + 1

The benefit of in house edging. Any POF was traced at lens order, given a code, and recalled when we received UC’s. We kept those codes for any subsequent lens orders for that particular frame. Perfect fit, any Optician staff could exchange lenses.

A shout out to Santinelli. I had a memory card full of patents frames. After 5 years I exchanged a 1200 for a new 1200 edger. Every shape the old edger did, the new one did, exactly to size with the old memory card. I didn’t have to re-trace any previous info..

(Disclaimer: Zero financial interest, just personal outcome.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    + 1

The benefit of in house edging. Any POF was traced at lens order, given a code, and recalled when we received UC’s. We kept those codes for any subsequent lens orders for that particular frame. Perfect fit, any Optician staff could exchange lenses.

A shout out to Santinelli. I had a memory card full of patents frames. After 5 years I exchanged a 1200 for a new 1200 edger. Every shape the old edger did, the new one did, exactly to size with the old memory card. I didn’t have to re-trace any previous info..

(Disclaimer: Zero financial interest, just personal outcome.)
    How many per day do you edge?
    Is their 1200 model the top of the line one?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    How many per day do you edge?
    Is their 1200 model the top of the line one?
    Avg 12-15. The ME1200 was top of the line Santinelli at the time. Every Rx was done in house except the rare safety or glass. (No ins accepted).

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The reason why they did not do this before was the fear that the lenses would then have to be retouched in size after edging.

Now we have very reliable machines, and remote tracing has been around since the 1990s.

Anecdote: years ago a customer didn't want to leave the frame for a day...I told my colleague that even the edger we had since 1992 had something called frame data memory!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Avg 12-15. The ME1200 was top of the line Santinelli at the time. Every Rx was done in house except the rare safety or glass. (No ins accepted).
    I really find it difficult to understand that you need to upgrade the top of the line edger in 5 years doing that little work.... But Essilor is not better with that...

Thread Information