Thread: spectera

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

spectera

hello!

question for those who have dealt with spectera. do you supply the frames or does spectera?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only insurance that i'm aware of that used to supply the frame was/is Davis. They would send a hideous display with a bunch of demo frames.

Huge negative for most ODs I've worked with is the limited types/brands of contacts that are in network. That is true of Specterrible and Davis.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    The only insurance that i'm aware of that used to supply the frame was/is Davis. They would send a hideous display with a bunch of demo frames.

Huge negative for most ODs I've worked with is the limited types/brands of contacts that are in network. That is true of Specterrible and Davis.
    yes, they are horrible. we've been with them for several years, and each year it gets worse and worse. we live in a small town have lots of elderly patients who have spectera. we hate to drop it because it would impossible to for them to travel to get their specs. someone told us that spectera can provide the frame and it would be beter for us, but i'm not finding that info.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the office supplies the frame. at least we do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Office or patients supply frames. Spectera used to have the supplied frame model with the box of lame frames, but they eliminated that a few years ago.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have one word for the old folks in your town bsmith: toughnoogieswe'renotproviderssubmitforoutofnetworkbenefits

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    toughnoogieswe'renotproviderssubmitforoutofnetworkbenefits
    That's a long word!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    The ol' Optiboard still going strong! I spent almost 30 yrs in the eyecare industry, got out around 2016. My current vision plan is Spectera ( specterrible back in the day and probably still is) Question: I can pick out a quality frame, no problem but are they going to let me pick a PAL and the AR I want? I want some good stuff and I see there are different tiers for lenses and coatings. Is their tier 4 a digital surfaced Kodak Concise from 1996? Ill need to have a great AR, no more Alize for this guy. Certainly the industry's moved forward without me? I stopped at a private practice today and the optician said "I pretty much have to go with Spectera's version, you get what ya get". She was pretty rude and I wasn't acting like a jackwagon like I know it all bc I used to be in this business. I simply asked what's your go to brand, Shamir?, Hoya? , Essilor ? What will I get with spectera if I pick a tier 4 PAL and tier 4 AR? Maybe I just buy what I want, where I want and submit for a $75 total out of network reimbursement? I appreciate your feedback and I hope this post is allowed? I'm no longer in the biz?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://lab.spectera.com/Viewers/318...2E0F629D0981EC

Here is the last formulary I could find.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bernard View Post
    The ol' Optiboard still going strong! I spent almost 30 yrs in the eyecare industry, got out around 2016. My current vision plan is Spectera ( specterrible back in the day and probably still is) Question: I can pick out a quality frame, no problem but are they going to let me pick a PAL and the AR I want? I want some good stuff and I see there are different tiers for lenses and coatings. Is their tier 4 a digital surfaced Kodak Concise from 1996? Ill need to have a great AR, no more Alize for this guy. Certainly the industry's moved forward without me? I stopped at a private practice today and the optician said "I pretty much have to go with Spectera's version, you get what ya get". She was pretty rude and I wasn't acting like a jackwagon like I know it all bc I used to be in this business. I simply asked what's your go to brand, Shamir?, Hoya? , Essilor ? What will I get with spectera if I pick a tier 4 PAL and tier 4 AR? Maybe I just buy what I want, where I want and submit for a $75 total out of network reimbursement? I appreciate your feedback and I hope this post is allowed? I'm no longer in the biz?
    That is odd. Most places that take insurance will aim for you to have the most out of pocket possible by recommending the higher end options. I know Spectera is horrible and confusing so maybe she just couldn't be bothered?
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I have one word for the old folks in your town bsmith: toughnoogieswe'renotproviderssubmitforoutofnetworkbenefits
    That's my answer to all with insurance!

Thread Information