Thread: Transitions Style Mirrors

Occupation
    Optometrist

Transitions Style Mirrors

https://trade.transitions.com/digitalpag/xam.html

Anyone have experience with these? They look neat.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi drk!

Lots. They work best when targeted to an individual who wants to further shield their eyes cosmetically and optically. Their is an increase in reflection at night in their lightened state.

Just delivered a gold pair yesterday.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Fitting and wearing. My OG Oakley Flaks have a transition with mirror. Love it for sports. Only time I wear it and generally one of the only times I fit a patient with them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We do some "driving glasses plus sunglasses" concepts (not like Drivewear, but kind of).

The Transitions X-tra active would do OK in the car, and if they get lightened it would still look cool with a hint of mirror. I think.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've done quite a few as well. You can see the flash mirror a bit when lenses aren't activated. Great option for someone light sensitive. Mirrors look great when fully activated.

You can make your own pretty easily too. Just add a flash mirror of your choice to any photochromic lens.

We used Caliente (Miami-7) mirror from Opticote on a Transitions 8 Brown with this frame : https://orgreenoptics.com/eyeglasses...y?variant=1126 to fantastic results. The lenses match the frame perfectly when the lens is fully activated creating a nice orange mirror.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Niiiiceee

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have two pairs as follows in my personal Rx:

1.60 Transitions Xtractive with Silver Mirror coating
    1.60 Sensity Shine with Silver Mirror coating

Both pairs have the base photochromic colour as grey, and come with the lab's default green AR on the back surface.

Taking note that the Xtractive mirror I have is a generic independent lab's in-house silver mirror over a Transitions Xtractive Grey blank, I notice the silver mirror effect is much more noticeable than my Sensity Shine pair. Unsure if the Essilor version would be different as those aren't available locally.

Both pairs do produce lots of internal reflections from overhead lighting, though. Outdoors they're great, but indoors they're a potential complaint case if the patient isn't warned in advance. Have personally worn both of the above pairs extensively, including for long distance driving in tropical thunderstorms, not a problem for me.

Have had great acceptance using them for patients with ocular deformities, prosthetic eyes, and such like, who appreciate the added reflections to mask the aforementioned.

Will try to get a pic later for comparison, if I can find my UV lamp at home.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I do not see a picture yet but I am very impressed with the site letting you opt in to sharing personal info. My guess is an international company conforming to the very wise European Union guidelines that I very much think should be universal.

But that's just me who refuses to go participate on social media websites because of their fakakta terms and conditions.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyOptom View Post
    Have two pairs as follows in my personal Rx:

1.60 Transitions Xtractive with Silver Mirror coating
    1.60 Sensity Shine with Silver Mirror coating

Both pairs have the base photochromic colour as grey, and come with the lab's default green AR on the back surface.

Taking note that the Xtractive mirror I have is a generic independent lab's in-house silver mirror over a Transitions Xtractive Grey blank, I notice the silver mirror effect is much more noticeable than my Sensity Shine pair. Unsure if the Essilor version would be different as those aren't available locally.

Both pairs do produce lots of internal reflections from overhead lighting, though. Outdoors they're great, but indoors they're a potential complaint case if the patient isn't warned in advance. Have personally worn both of the above pairs extensively, including for long distance driving in tropical thunderstorms, not a problem for me.

Have had great acceptance using them for patients with ocular deformities, prosthetic eyes, and such like, who appreciate the added reflections to mask the aforementioned.

Will try to get a pic later for comparison, if I can find my UV lamp at home.

I find Sensity don't darken as much or as quickly as Transitions. Fade time is slightly better but I don't think the overall performance is on par IMO.

IOT Neochromes are very impressive to me. Darken very quickly, on par with Transtions in overall darkness. Fade time slightly better as well. They offer an Xtractive alternative as well, Neochromes Agile Dark. Negatives are limited choices - only brown and gray, no polarized option.

Stay far, far, away from LifeRX poly photochromics. Laminate product instead of a matrix, performance is substandard all the way around and it will delaminate in a very high percentage of cases.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have the green ones with a transparent green verasace frame. they pair nicely. It's not a vibrant green. It's more subtle like a shinier G-15.

Thread Information