Thread: silly question - stock polarized rx lenses in powers w cylinder

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

silly question - stock polarized rx lenses in powers w cylinder

I know stock an array of polarized lenses in powers w sphere only are possible. however just thought id reach out if anyone has ever figured out a way to stock grey polarized lenses in powers w cylinder... it would be amazing to offer a polarized grey lens quickly edging in house to a patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No way!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It is not feasible as for every power you would need 36 lenses to cover the axis from 0 to 180 in increments of five.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far for replies all I see is.....No way! That does not tell us anything.
    It is not feasible as for every power..............blah blah blah. Well that does not tell us anything.
    As long as one can control color of the lens why can it not be done? Look at the size of your SV stock lenses you keep in your office. No you do not have every power in stock but why cant one have a limited selection of polarized lenses sph and cyl?
    I would be excited to find a good price for Plano polarized lenses. But ya we all know they all go through the same manufacturing process so to PL to cost less is unrealistic.
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 09-11-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    So far for replies all I see is.....No way! That does not tell us anything.
    It is not feasible as for every power..............blah blah blah. Well that does not tell us anything.
    As long as one can control color of the lens why can it not be done? Look at the size of your SV stock lenses you keep in your office. No you do not have every power in stock but why cant one have a limited selection of polarized lenses sph and cyl?
    I would be excited to find a good price for Plano polarized lenses. But ya we all know they all go through the same manufacturing process so to PL to cost less is unrealistic.
    What limited power would that be?
    It is not feasible. If you need it explained:
    -1.00 -100 would require 180 lenses at each axis.
    -1.00 -1.25 would require 180 lenses at each axis.
    ETC.

Have you ever heard of stock multifocal lenses with cylinder? It is absolutely no different with a polarized lens.
    You'd go broke in a hurry!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As CME stated, like a ft, a polarized lens needs the line (or polarization orientation) at 180. There are 180 degree of cylinder possibilities, for each sph/cyl combination. There are literally too many power/cyl/axis orientations to consider it feasible to make stock lenses in all conceivable combinations, even for a limited power/cyl range.

How many of you have stock lenses, sitting around with -4.00 cyl’s.? …I already know, a lot of you that stock finished lenses. How long have you had them? From the time you bought them, back when Bush was president. Finish stock ft’s, pal’s and polar aren’t available in cyl form for the same reason, you’d be sitting on most your stock for a very long time.
    Last edited by optical24/7; 09-11-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chronometre View Post
    I know stock an array of polarized lenses in powers w sphere only are possible. however just thought id reach out if anyone has ever figured out a way to stock grey polarized lenses in powers w cylinder... it would be amazing to offer a polarized grey lens quickly edging in house to a patient.
    Have you edged polarized lenses before? The lab usually puts laser markings on the lens so you can block it like a NVF at the 180. All of the plano polarized stock lenses I have seen come notched so you know where to edge them for the polarization to be aligned. There would be no way to have enough stock to make this work.

It's a good thought to make polarized sun more accessible--but completely unfeasible. Like CME4 said you would need 180 stock lenses for each power/cyl combo, just ridiculous.
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 09-11-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, CME4SPECS. Guess I did need it explained a bit deeper. I knew the answer, just did not stop to think it through. Yes, the polarization must be kept at 180. That is optics 101. Only lens powers you could do would be Spheres.
    Guess I have been at this a bit to long or the rum has fried to many brain cells. Another 2 years and 8 months I can throw in the towel for full time. I still want to be active a couple days a week and that would be enough.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about an exceptional lens lab that you can order 24/7, and they'll get you the (let's assume SV here for speed) lens you need, with proper polar alignment, and perfect power every time in 24-48 hours & overnight shipping. Then all you have to do is slap it on the edger and voila! Happy patients! Just make damn sure you're charging accordingly. That level of service and extreme "convenience" comes at an absolute premium.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    What about an exceptional lens lab that you can order 24/7, and they'll get you the (let's assume SV here for speed) lens you need, with proper polar alignment, and perfect power every time in 24-48 hours & overnight shipping. Then all you have to do is slap it on the edger and voila! Happy patients! Just make damn sure you're charging accordingly. That level of service and extreme "convenience" comes at an absolute premium.
    Isn't' that every decent lab these days? 24hrs wouldn't be doable with AR but 48 should be. It's not any different than any other surfaced SV lens.

Or are you saying a large wholesale lab should have stock finished polarized Rx single vision lenses? That isn't happening for the reasons mentioned above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Isn't' that every decent lab these days? 24hrs wouldn't be doable with AR but 48 should be. It's not any different than any other surfaced SV lens.

Or are you saying a large wholesale lab should have stock finished polarized Rx single vision lenses? That isn't happening for the reasons mentioned above.
    Yes, I was referring to lab finished. Obviously not stock as that isn't tenable for anyone. And no - it isn't any decent lab these days. Wish it was. Hence why I mentioned the exceptional labs that can actually do this consistently.

Thread Information