Thread: Diamond cut lenses techniques

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Diamond cut lenses techniques

Hello I want to know how these lenses are made we have tried many techniques but we failed.
    How the cuts are made and secondly how are the polished in between these fine lines Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6617.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	15472

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I wonder how they polished the cuts inside, if any one have clue please me know, which type of polishing they use for an organic lenses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These look non Rx. Molding tech can do all kinds of stuff. If done by hand, I’d use a bonded diamond wheel, possibly fine files. Front covered with surface saver tape. A thread polishing wheel could clean up the bottom scoring, followed by a dip hard coat. Easy, right?

Welcome to OB!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While on vacation 15 years ago I stopped in an optical shop in Venice Italy where they finished lenses like the bottom of this with an angled disc like thin wheel by hand. The machine could also produce almost any shape. I will let other lab techs tell us how the beveled edge is done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The bevel edge is done on a flat lapping wheel one with diamonds one with felt. A fixture holds the lens at any angle you need. It is the same way that diamond get their facets. The grooves can be cut with a dermal using a separating disc and polished with a felt disc. Very tedious work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Inland, the supplier of hand edgers, and replacement edging wheels used to produce a system called Lab Mate. When fully accessorized, the device had the capabilities to produce facet and scallops, with shaped polishing .

We used to produce the v flares on glass.....with the edge of ceramic feathering wheel. Polishing was done by hand.
    Eyes wide open

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I want to know: how much did AjDj charge for this and how much should he have charged?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and have kinda the same question.......

I've been on the lookout for quite some time now, searching for information on how to master diamond cutting on eyeglass lenses. I have a grinding machine (Nidek) that's capable of simple diamond cuts (smooth corners/front full), but when it comes to more specialized customization, I find myself at a loss. I'm genuinely eager to learn, and any insights or guidance would be immensely appreciated.

My primary goal for this year is to devote my efforts entirely to crafting customized unique (diamond cut) shapes glass lenses specifically for rimless frames. I'm in search of recommendations for tools that could aid in this process, whether it's certain machinery or perhaps instructional materials such as videos or guides, etc. Despite multiple attempts on my own, I must admit, the results were disappointing, especially concerning consistency. It's possible I haven't been using the appropriate tools for the job.

Any information, advice, or recommendations you could offer to help me master this technique would be invaluable to me. Thank you all in advance for your assistance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 13.32.17.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	15522
    Diamond cut lenses

Occupation
    If you have lotsa skill and talent this and a Dremel will get you started.

110V TM-2 Gem Jewelry Rock Bench Polishing Grinding Machine Bench Lathe Polisher | eBay

Most importent is the fact that proficienncy in this art is the same as getting to Symphony Hall. Practice, practice, practice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Dick said above, practice is the biggest factor in becoming proficient at facets/stone work. The only tools you’ll need to produce something like your example is a diamond hand stone, files and a 6” hard felt polishing wheel along with polish. Use a triangular file for the “diamond cuts” (like your example) and polish them with the edge of the polishing wheel.

As far as lens materials, use 1.60. It cuts and polishes much easier than other materials. Poly is the toughest to work with by hand, so avoid it at all times. You can practice with cr39 lenses. They’re cheap and they cut virtually the same as 1.60. Put in the time, do 100’s of them and you will have a very unique skill set. Good luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks @rbaker and @optical24/7 for the feedback. Understand that practice makes perfect but here you have to be some kind of Mozart in order to play a symphony very very well. To be so consistent you need a surgical eye hand coordination. What about a CNC milling machine? See some very nice milling 2D or 3D techniques, which maybe can applied to 1.60, cr39 lenses of poly?

Thread Information