Thread: ABOC Speakers and Teachers

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABOC Speakers and Teachers

I have just been approved for Speaking/Teaching ABOC Level 1 Ophthalmic CE Courses. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice or guidance. Most of the ideas I have feel like the are a bit more complex than a level 1 would allow, and I can not seem to find a guideline for how the class should be laid out and what all it should entail. Could anyone offer any advice or guidance with this? I am very excited to get started and have a whole set of classes that I'd like to do. Also, how do you find your outlets in which to teach/speak. Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations and unabashed envy from Georgetown!

I like to tell The Tale of Two Ambiguities: "Refraction" and "Prism." [Bending of light vs. provider patient encounter service; crystal widget vs image displacement Rx.] When a student understands exactly how the latter context of the same word is founded upon the former, they're ready to try and make themselves useful to a supervising optician.

The most important thing we miss when teaching image displacement: have the student color in the Px iris. (This is a real Px, someone important to you, and you'd better not let your brain stick it in a dark closet and go unused collecting cobwebs.)

Best of luck, neighbor.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well hey there neighbor! I have to say, I did not expect to see someone so close by active on this forum! I am very passionate about many of the things that seem to be overlooked during the course of what should be simple troubleshooting or a "spec check" and have done a lot of training on this topic everywhere I have worked. I have been working with a colleague here that is fascinated by all things prism, and have been diving deep into the subject matter lately. There is just so much out there, I am trying to find "my place" amongst the masses.

I appreciate the well wishes, and now a new subject for my to delve into a bit deeper!

Thread Information